Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 02:41 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times

Advertisements

Empires always decline.

It's what they're supposed to do.

No need for whining.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 02:42 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Ah how short sighted. For one, the period of 60 or 70 years is very short when talking about empires. The British empire was for 400 years. Romans were for centuries.

We are just a blip in the worlds history, from 1776 until today.

And no, like most cycles, there will be a war, of major scales as we subside, and we will fight in it. If we don't lose, which on a large scale is unlikely, we will explode again. This is the story of history. Long periods of peace are not good for empires.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
this German democracy was born in the late 1940's. A typical democracy lifespan seems to be around 200 years.
What were these previous "typical" democracies that only lasted 200 years, on average, that is?

Old 02-09-2013, 02:55 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
We are witnessing the collapse of an Empire. Our major cities now have mirrored this decline, from the race riots of the late 60's until now. Cities like Baltimore, Detroit, Memphis, Philadelphia, Chicago, Los Angeles, and St.Louis have slowly drifted from "working class neighborhoods" to "3rd world warzones with wartime violence statistics".
Have anything to say about Boston, Providence, Denver, Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis, Honolulu, Virginia Beach, San Jose, Santa Ana, Lincoln, Austin and El Paso?

Old 02-09-2013, 02:56 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times
The United States is not an empire.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:58 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Have anything to say about Boston, Providence, Denver, Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis, Honolulu, Virginia Beach, San Jose, Santa Ana, Lincoln, Austin and El Paso?
The only city on your list that fits the description is Santa Ana.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:05 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,879,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
What were these previous "typical" democracies that only lasted 200 years, on average, that is?
According to many historians, that is where the "200 year benchmark" seems to be perpetuated. And I should have said "great civilizations"... This doesn't necessarily have to be democracies that have failed, just successful civilizations with abundance and, for their time, high standard of living.

(Citing only democracies since you asked) Roman Empire, Mesopotamia, French Third Republic, Chile ('32-'73), The Dithmarschen peasant republic in Schleswig-Holstein (a more isolated example), Pakistan, Turkey and other Middle Eastern nations who have, traditionally, gone back and fourth between democratic style rule and Islamic law... for a few examples.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:17 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,879,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The United States is not an empire.
The US has over 600 foreign military bases in 40 different countries. We account for nearly a quarter of the entire economic output in the world, and our military spending is larger than the next ten nations combined.

Our aggressive and arrogant foreign policy dictates much of the world, and we leverage our wealth and military to topple foreign regimes. Even our largest corporations alone have more policy influence than many 3rd world nations.

If that isn't considered an "empire", I don't know what is.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:20 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
You seem to be a loose cannon.

I mentioned that we rarely agreed to portray a sense of shock. I know you are a militant-type person. I am not fooled by your type. When I post arguments on this forum, I base them on reality and truth. Sometimes it is inconvenient. You prefer to imply that you are some sort of tough guy that none of us "heretics" would ever "see" in the streets. You are clearly devoid of critical thinking and any knowledge of rational debate.

If you interpreted my post as "hostile", you have a serious problem.

But back to the issue at hand: this is an empire in decline. Don't let this troll deflect. That's exactly what he's doing with his "tough guy" tantrums.
There you go again. Obviously I'm not talking about the OP in this thread, but on others where you've clearly expressed nasty and openly racist views. Of course, you knew that already. Pointing it out doesn't make me a loose cannon. That makes you one.

Critical thinking? Pfffft...please. You're the one making a thread about the sky falling, as if this nation's best days are long gone. That's baloney. This country has emerged from much worse. Civil War, Great Depression, Jim Crow, presidential assassinations, internment camps, a few world wars...

So now we're having a bump in the road, and your "critical thinking" skills tell you that the only way forward is to break up the country? And worse, you justify it under some lame ass idea of "patriotism?"

Unreal. This is the new generation folks. Having a hard time? No problem...the answer isn't to dig in, sacrifice, and fix it. Uh uh.

The only patriotic solution is to whine about it and dissolved the country. Yippee!

There's your "critical thinking and rational debate." That and a nickel will get you a cup of coffee.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:06 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,097,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There you go again. Obviously I'm not talking about the OP in this thread, but on others where you've clearly expressed nasty and openly racist views. Of course, you knew that already. Pointing it out doesn't make me a loose cannon. That makes you one.

Critical thinking? Pfffft...please. You're the one making a thread about the sky falling, as if this nation's best days are long gone. That's baloney. This country has emerged from much worse. Civil War, Great Depression, Jim Crow, presidential assassinations, internment camps, a few world wars...

So now we're having a bump in the road, and your "critical thinking" skills tell you that the only way forward is to break up the country? And worse, you justify it under some lame ass idea of "patriotism?"

Unreal. This is the new generation folks. Having a hard time? No problem...the answer isn't to dig in, sacrifice, and fix it. Uh uh.

The only patriotic solution is to whine about it and dissolved the country. Yippee!

There's your "critical thinking and rational debate." That and a nickel will get you a cup of coffee.

I'm sure you feel that some of my posts are "racist" and "nasty", and you are correct if you assume that leftism is the mainstream, acceptable doctrine.

You mention that I am preaching fear and "the sky is falling rhetoric" while actually trying to argue that America is not on the decline. Your community's family unit has completely broken down since the 60's and the "Great Society". Chicago is a warzone now. Detroit is a warzone now. Philadelphia is a warzone now. Baltimore is a warzone now. 16 trillion in debt. That is my case.

I have yet to see any substantial mention of evidence that America is not on the decline.

And I hope you are not one of those delusional psychos like that black in LA is, holding race based grudges that drive them to psychosis. I think I'll have to hire a security detail for my trip to Arizona this spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies