Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 12:13 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,061,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Your belief is based on?

Ignorance or do you have some evidence?
I have anecdotal experience and common sense all of which is enough for me to form a "belief."

Over the years I have known many couples who adopted children, often with biological children of their own and I watched the disparity in how they were raised. One kicked out her adopted daughter after she slapped her husband. I couldn't imagine even *thinking* about doing that with my daughter.

Lastly, my kids. Once you have kids of your own, part of the fun is watching how they inherit from you. Seeing your blood mixed with their mother's blood. Seeing your (now long dead) parent's blood show up again, even in their personalties and realizing that once you die, you will live on through your children in their features. That your blood, generations back, still lives in your children. That kind of understanding is completely gone for non biological children.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
You viewpoint is so misguided its almost as though you're doing it just for comedic purposes.

Have you read People magazine lately? There's some fine examples of marriage for you - Hollywood marriages that last months or perhaps a couple years, and celebrities who collect kids as though they were trophies, regardless of whether or not they are married at the time. Fine examples they're setting for us! However for some reason you seem to be fixated on a very small subset of society which is not a part of the problem at all.
With millions of marriages, many of them will be imperfect. That doesn't mean we need to redefine marriage to have even more imperfect marriages.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:22 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
I have anecdotal experience and common sense all of which is enough for me to form a "belief."

Over the years I have known many couples who adopted children, often with biological children of their own and I watched the disparity in how they were raised. One kicked out her adopted daughter after she slapped her husband. I couldn't imagine even *thinking* about doing that with my daughter.
I also have anecdotal evidence.

My best friend's wife's cousin ('s ex roomate's dog-walker's brother) lost custody of her son because she was repeatedly abusing him. My best friend and his wife adopted the kid. He (to all appearances) is loved.

I am not a parent. I couldn't imgaine even *thinking* about abusing a child even if that child wasn't biologically mine.

Looks as though our anecdotal evidence is in contradiction. I see no reason that your anecdote should hold sway over mine or that mine should hold sway over yours. This is why anecdotal evidence is not strong evidence.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
With millions of marriages, many of them will be imperfect. That doesn't mean we need to redefine marriage to have even more imperfect marriages.
I think the idea is to 'redefine' marriage to have even more good marriages.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:29 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,848,992 times
Quote:
Consider, however, the example I posted. The People Magazine-celebrity marriages and kids out of wedlock. If that's such an imperfect model, why is it being celebrated on the newsstands of America on such a regular basis? Essentially they are shoving it in our faces. Its a redefinition of marriage whether you realize it or not (actually, its a trivialization of marriage). But somehow its OK with you?

Old 03-05-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I also have anecdotal evidence.

My best friend's wife's cousin ('s ex roomate's dog-walker's brother) lost custody of her son because she was repeatedly abusing him. My best friend and his wife adopted the kid. He (to all appearances) is loved.

I am not a parent. I couldn't imgaine even *thinking* about abusing a child even if that child wasn't biologically mine.

Looks as though our anecdotal evidence is in contradiction. I see no reason that your anecdote should hold sway over mine or that mine should hold sway over yours. This is why anecdotal evidence is not strong evidence.
I'm not saying it should. I'm telling you what I believe. To form what I believe I will base it off my experiences like everyone else.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Consider, however, the example I posted. The People Magazine-celebrity marriages and kids out of wedlock. If that's such an imperfect model, why is it being celebrated on the newsstands of America on such a regular basis? Essentially they are shoving it in our faces. Its a redefinition of marriage whether you realize it or not (actually, its a trivialization of marriage). But somehow its OK with you?
Homosexual marriages don't bother me. I have never once complained about a Homosexual marriage in Massachusetts for example.

What bothers me is the equation of redefinition with a civil right. My argument is that homosexual marriage is not a civil right. I'm perfectly fine leaving this to the vote of the states. If the majority of the people want to redefine homosexual marriage, I will consider it silly but ultimately I won't complain.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
To form what I believe I will base it off my experiences like everyone else.
Everyone DOES NOT do this, and it is asinine to think so.

Based on my experience the sun will rise at 6:31 AM and set at 6:05 PM on March 5th.

However, I'm rational enough to know that my experience is not universal and the sun will rise and set at different times based on location.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Everyone DOES NOT do this, and it is asinine to think so.

Based on my experience the sun will rise at 6:31 AM and set at 6:05 PM on March 5th.

However, I'm rational enough to know that my experience is not universal and the sun will rise and set at different times based on location.
The only reason you know this is through additional experiences such as travel or education. If you never had those additional experiences, you too would believe the sun would rise at the same time.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
The only reason you know this is through additional experiences such as travel or education. If you never had those additional experiences, you too would believe the sun would rise at the same time.
Exactly.

Now...why is it that you
Quote:
don't believe it's possible for non biological parents to love an adopted kid as they would a biological child.
Is that a belief based on education or ignorance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies