Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 11:22 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Ok, in the second response I didn't say that you said anything. Therefore, no one put words in your mouth. More paranoia. It's ok to mention what I actually did. I outright accused you of something, two things, one of them twice now. Seeing as you have no defense for the accusations, I'll take that as you seeing some truth in them.
There is no defense possible or needed against pointless accusations. Perhaps you're feverish. You take it wrong and I'm done with this revolving door of your current ianity.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:23 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I really don't like shooting so much but it's much easier to kill a Deer with my semi-auto 06 than a knife.

I might add it's not registered and never will be. I really don't think anyone favoring this ban crap is really thinking about less violence. I'm reading they will just enjoy seeing gun owners jumping through hoops and spending more time and money to legally own them. Criminals won't be bothered with all that rubbish.
It's working in Australia

Results of the '96 Australian Gun Laws (updated 2009) (GunsAndCrime.org)

According to CNN, since the ban in '96, gun homicide in that country is down between 60 and 80% depending on the study. Suicides I think it's around 80% too. Either way I'd caution against saying it won't work. Considering they consume most of the same media culture as Americans including violent video games, that theory is gone.

Boy can't wait for the responses, what excuses will we hear?

Old 02-17-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
There is no defense possible or needed against pointless accusations. Perhaps you're feverish. You take it wrong and I'm done with this revolving door of your current ianity.
Thank you for pointing out how irritating circular arguments can be

Old 02-17-2013, 11:38 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post

Boy can't wait for the responses, what excuses will we hear?
I can find something that refutes it in 3, 2, 1... and it has all the cachet of your link. I can also add what I hear in real life from many of my Australian friends/family.

Australian Gun Ban Resulted in Higher Gun Crimes, Not Lower! - Godfather Politics

Old 02-17-2013, 11:57 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I really don't think anyone favoring this ban crap is really thinking about less violence. I'm reading they will just enjoy seeing gun owners jumping through hoops and spending more time and money to legally own them.
Come on. No one I know who wants more gun regulation cares about anything besides trying to prevent another Columbine, Virgina Tech, Tucson, Aurora, or Sandy Hook. (Jeez, that's a lot of violence.) Do you actually think people take joy in watching others "jump through hoops" to obtain a weapon? Why?

Old 02-17-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I can find something that refutes it in 3, 2, 1... and it has all the cachet of your link. I can also add what I hear in real life from many of my Australian friends/family.

Australian Gun Ban Resulted in Higher Gun Crimes, Not Lower! - Godfather Politics
Looks a bit more like an opinion blog so for me I don't think it's fair to compare them. Interesting though.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:07 PM

Here's another that's not an opinion blog.

Joyce Lee Malcolm: Two Cautionary Tales of Gun Control - WSJ.com

Old 02-17-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Here's another that's not an opinion blog.

Joyce Lee Malcolm: Two Cautionary Tales of Gun Control - WSJ.com
Ok, it's not so much an opinion blog. It is a little but less so than the other one.

What I got out of this were more inconclusive numbers. The one I posted talked about the overall reduction over a 15 year period. This one you posted mentioned a 3.2 reduction over just the first 7 years. Actually the study was released 7 years after so likely the numbers were assessed sooner. Basically as I looked at the article, it seemed to jump around over different time periods to make it's case. First year, first seven years etc. it talked about an increase in other violent crime but that happens whether guns are banned or not. And the purpose of a ban isn't to end all crime. I don't know where people got that idea. it's to decrease the number of people who can be killed very quickly with an assault rifle. The ban was on assault rifles and the crimes that go along with them were effected.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:25 PM

No matter what I link to, you'll shrug it off for one reason or another. I do the same thing for religion, so I get it.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
No matter what I link to, you'll shrug it off for one reason or another. I do the same thing for religion, so I get it.
If you say so but I just don't see the connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies