Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 02:28 PM

28,110 posts, read 63,531,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
And the constitution cannot be examined over time to determine if it is still relevant? If we hadn't examined this over time, we wouldn't have freedom of speech, abolition of slavery, legalization of alcohol or universal suffrage.

In my opinion, archaic amendments like the 2nd should be reconsidered for relevancy in 2013. Just because a law was written in the constitution in the 18th century, doesn't mean that it should necessarily be the sacred cow today.
Of course the constitution can be changed... amendments can be added or repealed.

What I am saying is you just can't ignore what you don't like or worse yet... impose that on others.

Change the Constitution is there is enough support... it's been done and in the case of alcohol done again.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:29 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,322,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
you did nothing but ignore me

Old 02-20-2013, 02:33 PM

4,308 posts, read 6,252,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
What I am saying is you just can't ignore what you don't like or worse yet... impose that on others.
Its not a question of me just not liking something. For example, I'm not a huge fan of the 5th amendment, but I'm not suggesting a repeal of this.

In my view, the 2nd Amendment is a completely different situation. We have a gun crisis in this situation and I don't think that simply increasing background checks will fix the situation. Yes, rescinding it will take the rights away from many law abiding citizens. However, I strongly believe that this is necessary to ultimately make our country a safer place. Yes, this doesn't solve the mental illness problem, but ensuring guns can be accessed easily will greatly reduce the overall murder rate.

I doubt we'll see this happen in the next few years (or perhaps my lifetime), since we have such a God and Guns culture here in America.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:48 PM

28,110 posts, read 63,531,084 times
Quote:
Its not a question of me just not liking something. For example, I'm not a huge fan of the 5th amendment, but I'm not suggesting a repeal of this.

In my view, the 2nd Amendment is a completely different situation. We have a gun crisis in this situation and I don't think that simply increasing background checks will fix the situation. Yes, rescinding it will take the rights away from many law abiding citizens. However, I strongly believe that this is necessary to ultimately make our country a safer place. Yes, this doesn't solve the mental illness problem, but ensuring guns can be accessed easily will greatly reduce the overall murder rate.

I doubt we'll see this happen in the next few years (or perhaps my lifetime), since we have such a God and Guns culture here in America.
I live in Oakland CA which depending on statistics is one of the top 5 most dangerous cities on all the country...

I have no fear that my law abiding neighbors that hunt or are retired from Law Enforcement are the problem...

The way this argument is going... I might actually have to get a gun because I'm starting to wonder if the handwriting is on the wall...

Old 02-20-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I live in Oakland CA which depending on statistics is one of the top 5 most dangerous cities on all the country...

I have no fear that my law abiding neighbors that hunt or are retired from Law Enforcement are the problem...

The way this argument is going... I might actually have to get a gun because I'm starting to wonder if the handwriting is on the wall...
Obviously, its not the law abiding citizens that you have to worry about. The problem is, how can you keep these guns in the hands of law abiding citizens and not criminals? Even worse, what happens when a law abiding citizen (no previous criminal history) suddenly snaps from something like getting fired at work, being cheated on by a spouse, having a severe financial problem, etc? Or how about situations when someone develops a mental illness and goes untreated since nobody caught it and eventually conducts a mass shooting? Unfortunately, without restricting the rights of these law abiding citizens, we will not be able to control these tragic situations, which are becoming evermore common.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:57 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,797,822 times
Quote:

About 11k people were murdered in 2010 by a firearm. 26k people died from falls, 33k died from accidental poisening, 40k from drug induced deaths and 25k from alcohol induced deaths. Maybe you are worrying about the wrong thing. Source is the CDC
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/dea...10_release.pdf

Old 02-20-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
About 11k people were murdered in 2010 by a firearm. 26k people died from falls, 33k died from accidental poisening, 40k from drug induced deaths and 25k from alcohol induced deaths. Maybe you are worrying about the wrong thing. Source is the CDC
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/dea...10_release.pdf
So, because its not statistically #1, it should be ignored?

Old 02-20-2013, 03:05 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,322,733 times
Quote:
Goes back to that remark when someone said something about banning concrete or whatever. I don't know why some have the idea that since we can't solve all problems, we should do nothing at all.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:10 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,655,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Nonsense, I have rebuilt several engines and using only vise grips would get you nothing put a pile of parts.

Your nonsensical comparatives do nothing to help your argument.
Being rather literal today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Again with name calling and hunting. You have no response besides degrading someone who ownes a semi automatic rifle and pretending that hunting is the the be all and end all argument. You don't have a leg to stand on and that makes you uncomfortable.

Out nation was built on the ideals of our founders, then institutionalized in our founding documents. I get that you don't agree with them. Thankfully this nation is based on the founders vision for our nation and not yours.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
Thomas Jefferson

Though not a founder, this one especially rings true after reading your posts.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt
You are supporting my statements. Hear this, I don't care how many and what type of gun you or anyone else owns, I don't deny your rights. Now the problem is, you cannot hear that second sentence, your tape loop on "denying rights" is running and will prevent that. I do care that humans use the brain god gave them and use the right tool for the job. There is no civilian job for assault rifles that cannot be done better by a different gun, therefore, as Mr Spock would say, owning an assault rifle is not logical.

Now it is my belief that the men who buy assault rifles do so because their life is not manly and they know it, Arnold Schwarzenegger said it better than I. Same reason men buy Harley Davidsons. A motorcycle worthless for serious riding and only good for going "potato potato potato" while idling at a stop light. And the same reason men put those big tires on their pickups and paint the resultant exposed underbody with bright paint, and never take the darned things off road,,, sidehill those puppies and over they go, and like a Harley, if it goes over, you will need a tow truck to get it upright.

Assault rifles, Harley's, big tires, are all for show, no go.

Now, go back to saying I want to deny you your god given constitutional rights, which is bs since there ain't no god, there ain't no god given constitutional rights.

Quote:
Their argument on that is just more NRA claptrap, more people die from smoking and drinking too much and eating fatty foods, than from guns, but the NRA boys won't quit their smoking and drinking and eating fatty foods.

Last edited by .highnlite; 02-20-2013 at 03:42 PM..

Old 02-20-2013, 03:20 PM

50,155 posts, read 46,811,218 times
The AR 15 platform is actually a very versatile weapon. It is modular so it can be swapped out in over 20 calibers giving it the capability to hunt everything from rodents to moose. In the larger calibers it holds only a few rounds in a standard mag. Large capacity mags won't really work well or at all because of the weight and width of the ammo itself. For hunting Coyotes a quick second shot(s) is ideal for a running song dog. For how they hunt hogs in the South it is also ideal when the main use is to exterminate an entire sounder.The 6.8 (270 lite) is ideal with quick shots on so many targets.

Or, if you have an FFL you can use an M16 which is an actual assault rifle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies