Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 03:21 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
There are no "rights" to own killing machines any more than there are "rights" to conduct drag races on your residential streets.

Gun "rights" are a fabrication....absolutely nothing more the opinions of men committed to blocking our emergence from the dark ages.

That's funny; "a fabrication."
A fabrication that shall not be infringed.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:36 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
While, as a gun owner, I don't totally agree with the list. Maybe we ought to enforce the laws on the books first.

Who needs assault rifles with 20 round clips? Not I. I am a crack shot and I can assure that any home invasion person will get it either in the knee or eye with my bolt action rifle. Gads, no one has to have an assault rife. If you can't take out an intruder with a six shot revolver, you need to take lessons. Just sayin'.

no one needs? well guess what genius, no one needs more than 1 pair of shoes, more than 1 car or more than 1 of anything else. heck, with government involved, they can tell you dont need more than 1 kidney and to give your other one up to someone who needs it, because you sure as heck dont.

it doesnt matter about need. if all you need is a 6 shot revolver, then thats fine for you, I prefer to shoot a misnamed military lookalike rifle with a 100 round magazine if i so choose. if you want a clip, go look for them on aisle 5 in your local ace hardware, as they are little pieces of metal that can hold 5-10 rounds of ammunition.

knee or eye? you look like you have dead eye sam on your side, being able to hit a running or walking target in the knee or eye with a bolt action, what will you do with your bolt action when they are shooting back at you and running towards you shooting their fully automatic rifle, unlike the semi automatics that the law abiding can only get without special government approval.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:19 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
That's funny; "a fabrication."
A fabrication that shall not be infringed.
Those words are nothing more than an opinion....written long ago for a society bearing no resemblance to ours. But you knew that.

In nature, anything and everything is a "right", as there are no rules. Human beings long ago reasoned that that state of affairs was unacceptable....that life quality would improve immensely if they put some rules in place to be followed by all.

Except for perhaps rules prohibiting the assault or killing of others and fundamental theft, none of man's rules are "chiseled in stone", nor should they be. In fact, the notion that man must live forever bound by rules penned by men who lived centuries ago in completely different circumstance is anything but a notion of freedom.

The 2nd Amendment today has us in a state of siege and is a monumental liability to our life quality. It has not been an asset for at least a hundred years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
no one needs? well guess what genius, no one needs more than 1 pair of shoes, more than 1 car or more than 1 of anything else. heck, with government involved, they can tell you dont need more than 1 kidney and to give your other one up to someone who needs it, because you sure as heck dont.

it doesnt matter about need. if all you need is a 6 shot revolver, then thats fine for you, I prefer to shoot a misnamed military lookalike rifle with a 100 round magazine if i so choose. if you want a clip, go look for them on aisle 5 in your local ace hardware, as they are little pieces of metal that can hold 5-10 rounds of ammunition.

knee or eye? you look like you have dead eye sam on your side, being able to hit a running or walking target in the knee or eye with a bolt action, what will you do with your bolt action when they are shooting back at you and running towards you shooting their fully automatic rifle, unlike the semi automatics that the law abiding can only get without special government approval.
I swear....there seem to more every day that have serious trouble distinguishing life from a video game.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:40 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Do you really have to ask? Discounting those...whom most of us would consider "anti-gun nuts," I doubt that anyone wants reasonable control more than responsible gun owners, sports shooters and hobbyists.
You might, Curmudgeon, but look at the number of people (even on this thread, and now that it's been moved to the Politics AOC subforum, there will be more) who absolutely do not want their "rights" infringed upon. They're frantic about it.

Quote:
There are plenty of controls already on the books but government at many levels has failed to fund and implement or enforce them.
Maybe, thanks to the power and financial backing of the NRA. And maybe the current administration will do something about it, since they didn't during the last four years. Had to get re-elected, you know?

Quote:
Making a big noise in the aftermath of true tragedy takes the focus off their failings, or worse, their complicity...
...true, and maybe reveal that they didn't fight back hard enough because they might disappoint their constituents or be voted out of office. But is it really a big noise after a tragedy? If so, "big noises" were made after Columbine. That was how many years ago, 14?

Old 02-23-2013, 06:59 AM

335 posts, read 517,920 times
Taking away ancient technology from the citizenry, because they can't be trusted with it, isn't the discussion we should be having at this point.

That's nothing more than a pathetic appeal to probability, and fear mongering by politicos.

How about ban children from using pencils/pens, because they can't be trusted not to poke their eyes out or stab others? Wait, adults can't be trusted with them either?!?

This rush to grab the guns is just another emotional knee-jerk reaction, as usual, rather than a studied opinion of how best to proceed when lunatics, who displayed atrocious behavior LONG before culminating into an atrocity, not only are created by US Society, but appear to be growing in number and severity.

And believe it or not, we've got a LOT of even bigger problems that we're not discussing on a national stage that are even MORE pressing...

So, go ahead and pick your pet political topics and get all frothed up, chase your tails and bark-bark-BARK!, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain and never pause to consider that we're probably on the verge of the Fourth Turning

EOM

Last edited by Biz901; 02-23-2013 at 07:35 AM..

Old 02-23-2013, 07:02 AM

651 posts, read 705,283 times
Well its California. A beautiful state but the politics are bat ass crazy. I know of many people who are moving from there to places where they can afford to live. They control every aspect of your life there. Don't do this do that. What a crock of crap.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:31 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So lets take a different approach, what is so bad about a semi automatic rifle?
Why must the "optimum tool" be used? Oh Duh, If you can't answer that question for your self, well,,, oh duh
What if someone cannot afford many different types of guns so they can't have optimum guns for every situation? Right, and how many situations does one need a weapon for? They aren't shoes.
Is shooting prey animals for food different than shooting preditor animals for food? If you tell me you bow hunt Grizzlies, maybe you will get some respect from me. But really, it is another dumb question, and if you have to ask it, stay in town.
Why is an ar15 bad for self defense? I have stated that before. Reread what I wrote.
What is wrong with using a scope? Because it compensates for poor hunting skills, a tool for city slickers, girlie men
What is wrong with a bi pod? Same thing, it compensates for poor hunting skill. One needs neither a scope or a bipod if one has a high skill level. Using your skills to accomplish your goal is much more sporting than throwing technology at harmless grass eating animals. Like fishing. One can catch many more fish with dynamite than with a rod. Do you support dynamite fishing?
Do you think shooting accurately is important? Do you think about your questions, or do you just prefer to ask dumb questions?
Do you think it is better to gut shot an animal than to get a clean kill? If you are going out to kill things, learn to do the job correctly before you go out, don't use technology to compensate for your poor skill set.

And natural rights transcend government, that is the whole point. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness if every humans right, even before this country was created. Our founding documents just memorialized it. Unless you believe we have a bunch of privileges in this country that the government lets us have?

"Natural rights" is philosophical baiting, beyond apprentice baiting, beyond journeyman baiting (think about it, what comes after journeyman baiting) , and silly made up philosophical points with no basis in any form of known reality. Natural law is more in line with how humans interact. Natural rights to have grass eating animal killing devices? A joke. Only our dear American Conservative brethren are capable of believing such nonsense.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Natural rights" is philosophical baiting...and silly made up philosophical points with no basis in any form of known reality.
OK, I'm your huckleberry...game on.

Since the Declaration of Independence, and the formation of the United States of America at THAT moment, was ALL done under NATURAL LAW (historical FACT), one would gather from your brilliant conclusion that the Continental Congress was just baiting King George and Parliament?

Moreover, wouldn't that also, according to your impeccable logic, make the foundation of the USofA null and void, since it was only a philosophical argument?

Old 02-23-2013, 07:55 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz901 View Post
OK

Since the Declaration of Independence, and the formation of the United States of America at THAT moment, was ALL done in accordance with NATURAL LAW, one would gather from your brilliant conclusion that the Continental Congress was just baiting King George and Parliament?
Apparently you do not know that Natural Rights and Natural Law are two different philosophies And, I was not referencing baiting at all, I realize that analytical reasoning does not come easy for Conservatives, they far prefer parroting some claptrap some "leader" told them to parrot, but, one can always try.

Back to shooting harmless grass eating animals with thousands of dollars of technology. Pronghorn.. interesting animals, I doubt you have spent much time with the little dears. I have. A good question for you is, why are they so darned fast when there is no predator capable of coming close to catching one. The answer is also interesting.

Now, with their eyesight, the hunter is not going to get close to one, so the NRA city slicker is going to set up his assault rifle, his scope, and his bipod and fire off his his magazine at long range. But, the old timers and their muzzle loaders figured out that you did not need to do that. They used their brains, unlike the NRA city slickers.

Pronghorn are very curious animals, so, the old timer hunter would tie a cloth to his ram rod, lie on the ground in a dip or behind a rock etc. and wave the cloth in the air like a flag. The curious pronghorn would wander over to see what it was, get close, and kaboom, single shot, iron sight, brain. Something that more so called hunters should try.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Apparently you do not know that Natural Rights and Natural Law are two different philosophies.

And, I was not referencing baiting at all, I realize that analytical reasoning does not come easy for Conservatives, they far prefer parroting some claptrap some "leader" told them to parrot, but, one can always try.
Actually, under the Rule of Law, when it was established under Natural Rights, it was one and the same:

Quote:
WHEN in the Course of human Events, it becomes necessary for one People to dissolve the Political Bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the Powers of the Earth, the separate and equal Station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent Respect to the Opinions of Mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the Separation.

WE hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness -- That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the Governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its Foundation on such Principles, and organizing its Powers in such Form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
I realize you're probably new to the subject, i.e. the Founding of America, so I'll give you a few factoids taking from the Sons of Liberty to see if I can scratch the surface:

The state of nature has a LAW of nature to govern it, which obliges every one: and reason, which is that LAW, teaches all mankind, who will but consult it, that being all equal and independent, no one ought to harm another in his life, health, liberty, or possessions ~ John Locke 1690

Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience
~ John Locke 1690

Bad men cannot make good citizens. A vitiated state of morals, a corrupted public conscience are incompatible with freedom ~ Patrick Henry

Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety - Benjamin Franklin

Fear is the foundation of most governments; but it is so sordid and brutal a passion, and renders men in whose breasts it predominates so stupid and miserable, that Americans will not be likely to approve of any political institution which is founded on it ~ John Adams

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company...Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism
~ George Washington

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth ~ George Washington

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms...The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants ~ Thomas Jefferson

Americans [have] the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust their people with arms ~ James Madison

Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined
~ Patrick Henry

If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen ~ Samuel Adams
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies