Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 03:11 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Surely you are joking.

Did you even read the post above yours?

Do you even know any gay men? They are just like you.
Not closely no, but I have read their writings. Who better to base my understanding from than gay writers?
Are you saying growing up gay is just like growing up hetero? Surely you are the one who is joking. They have a whole separate perspective and whole separate slew of issues, they need gay mentors to learn to be gay men, not straight ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Not really, no.

We all generally live in the same world. Kinda hard to do otherwise.

Just like it's not useful to lie and say that gay men cannot be good male role models.
You deny that sexuality is a huge part of who we are?

Old 02-12-2013, 03:20 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
You deny that sexuality is a huge part of who we are?

My sexuality just -is-. It does not define me.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:21 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
Gay people knew what they were getting into when they decided to swing the way they do.
They need to learn to deal with it, not pout until society accommodates them.
You mean like giving subsidies to single parent families who chose to make babies out of wed lock? Or not go after all the dead beat dads because mom makes more money on AFDC benefits, WIC, and subsidized housing? And giving free breakfast and lunch in our schools because mom and/or dad didn't plan effectively before they decided to pump out a baby or two or three? All of which subsidized by the taxpayer.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:21 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,289 times
Quote:
Not closely no, but I have read their writings. Who better to base my understanding from than gay writers?
Are you saying growing up gay is just like growing up hetero? Surely you are the one who is joking. They have a whole separate perspective and whole separate slew of issues, they need gay mentors to learn to be gay men, not straight ones.
This is comedy gold!

Old 02-12-2013, 03:29 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,515 times
I'm not surprised by the level of anxiety and pressure concerning the topic in the BSA. Unfortunately, as was the problem in the Church, people pay far more attention to sexual orientation than they do pedophilia. Highly prevalent in both organizations, and quite different. The BSA at least acknowledged their problem way before the Church did, so kudos to them there. Adults should pay far more attention to the predators that both organizations hid from public view for decades, than the kids entering. I think the BSA was in some way trying to protect the kids from their adult volunteers than anything else. Probably the wrong way to do it, but they did it.

While I acknowledge the problem people on both sides have with the gay issues today, I think adults would show far more morals and character if they helped to protect children. I know many don't understand the difference, and this is sad. Tons of kids have been abused, mentally, physically, and sexually, while holier than thou people covered their eyes to the abuse of children. IMO, child abuse is far more important than whatever sexual orientation the members are.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:35 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,515 times
Quote:
That's actually funny to read. Even as kids, we were smarter than that, some of us anyway. We all knew who the gar Scout leaders were, and the gay priests as well. Needless to say, their "mentoring" had nothing to do with gayness. We also knew which priests and Married Scout leaders were the pedophiles. Everyone knew who to stay away from.

As a completely and utterly hetero guy, I can say with all honesty, I fully understand why some of the gay folks make fun of people like you, and agree that statements like that show a sense of insecurity.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:43 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Is there something wrong with an organization fulfilling a specific need for a specific group of people?
It is to teach boys what it means to be a man. A woman could not effectively do that, nor could a gay man, what could they possibly know about being a man? They are biologically different and have no first hand experience. That is why we also have girl scouts, and should have gay scouts.
Our pack leader is a woman, we have more women than men that are den leaders.
We simply don't have enough men who are willing to volunteer, so we step up and teach the boys everything that scouting requires. The scouts even have training for the leaders. I can, and have, taught every level of cub scouts. Nothing we teach requires a penis.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Our pack leader is a woman, we have more women than men that are den leaders.
We simply don't have enough men who are willing to volunteer, so we step up and teach the boys everything that scouting requires. The scouts even have training for the leaders. I can, and have, taught every level of cub scouts. Nothing we teach requires a penis.
I'm certainly not saying that there is nothing woman and gay men can teach boys in the scouts. They can certainly teach to the test without a problem, but what can they really offer towards the true purpose of the scouts? If what you describe is really the half-assed state of the scouts.... perhaps its already gone as an institution and we can let the activists have it. Perhaps only the local chapters can carry on the goal which the organization has already abandoned. Sad.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:12 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
To avoid the drama, controversy, "hate" etc:

Why not just create the gay scouts? That way those who "choose to be" and/or are "born gay" can have a comforting organization.
Having a guy or a kid who sexually attracted to males, lead or be a member in the boys scouts just does not make sense. I do not know how allowing gays into the regular boy scouts will exactly be a smart thing to do.
In the era of bullying, "hate", etc.. I think allowing gays into the boy scouts could be asking for trouble, and potentially dangerous. It would raising some safety.
A few local chapters representatives have already decided that if the decision was left to the local chapters it will be a huge "hell no" to gays. While others are threatening to disband if the decision is taken out of their hands.

Just make a separate group and skip the drama.

Disclosure: Before someone goes digging into my post history tries to randomly bring anything up. yes I am anti-gay marriage and all.
But I think this may be the "simpliest" solution for all.
This idiotic post epitomizes the lack of understanding of the issue. Why is it you only think about sex when considering lifting discrimination policy? This issue has nothing to do with sex. Sadly, we often see a bit more of anti-gay prejudice in certain minority populations. Hmm, I wonder now, if integrating black scouts with white scouts causes the white scouts to be more prone to gang violence and crime? hmm...

Seriously, their wouldn't be much change at all if the Boy Scouts eliminated their anti-gay stance. It would simply reverse the boy scouts position that being homosexual is inconsistent with the obligations in the scout oath and scout law. To be "morally" straight and clean in thought, word and deed, should have nothing to do with ones sexual orientation; it should not mean one is automatically noncompliant with being a scout just because they are gay. And that is all it means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies