Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 06:11 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
To avoid the drama, controversy, "hate" etc:

Why not just create the gay scouts? That way those who "choose to be" and/or are "born gay" can have a comforting organization.
Having a guy or a kid who sexually attracted to males, lead or be a member in the boys scouts just does not make sense. I do not know how allowing gays into the regular boy scouts will exactly be a smart thing to do.
In the era of bullying, "hate", etc.. I think allowing gays into the boy scouts could be asking for trouble, and potentially dangerous. It would raising some safety.
A few local chapters representatives have already decided that if the decision was left to the local chapters it will be a huge "hell no" to gays. While others are threatening to disband if the decision is taken out of their hands.

Just make a separate group and skip the drama.

Disclosure: Before someone goes digging into my post history tries to randomly bring anything up. yes I am anti-gay marriage and all.
But I think this may be the "simpliest" solution for all.
How about those of you who want to remain free of gay members form your own organization? Nobody is stopping you.

There seems to be this idea that the pressure to lift the ban is coming only from outside liberal forces, but I think you should know that there are plenty of BSA members in good standing, including five (straight) Eagle Scouts in my family who will be cheering the decision to end this painful era of BSA discrimination.

Last edited by randomparent; 02-20-2013 at 06:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 07:51 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,022,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
How about those of you who want to remain free of gay members form your own organization? Nobody is stopping you.
I'm sure they will try to hijack those organizations also.
I'm sure that the "pro-gay types" will get sue happy and continue to try to force their "different" way of life on everyone else.

Hopefully they will see that tens of millions still don't want to have anything to do with them. Rather the reason is religious, personal beliefs, or otherwise.

If the gays are allowed in they may be all that's left. It would really be the "gay scouts" in some areas.
With so many people threatening to leave the scouts, and some chapters threatening to disband.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:44 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,798,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It is not immoral to be a woman. Homosexual acts are immoral and sin.
According to ignorant bronze age goat herders speaking on behalf of their tribal totem deity...

Remind me again why we should listen to them?

Old 02-20-2013, 08:46 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,798,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Teaching a young person that a deviant and sinful act is acceptable is absolutely wrong.
Which is exactly why children should not be taken to churches or indoctrinated into Christianity..

Old 02-21-2013, 06:28 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,397,949 times
Threads like this appear over and over on the internet. They are always quite revealing to the casual reader.
Whether the discussion involves gays or abortions, at some point, Christianity and/or the Bible always comes up somewhere in the discussion.

I always find it interesting when people claiming to be against this thing or the other, for religious reasons of course, act in a manner that's not even consistent with barroom behavior, much less Christian behavior. Certainly everyone's entitled to feel the way they want about anything. But when I think of children in school, or any organization, I've just never associated the seemingly adult behavior of anyone with whatever the discussion may be. I don't remember anyone in my childhood discussing what they did with their wife/girlfriend, or how I should behave in that manner. Well, there was the occasional pedophile priest

This would be an interesting discussion to have if Christ himself were to visit this forum. History has it, that Christ spent his lifetime teaching love and kindness to all. The Bible lays all all kinds of unacceptable behavior. Adultery, (thoughts of adultery), illicit acts between unmarried persons.

Here's a nice place to read what you're not supposed to do.

Quote:
Then there is homosexuality which likewise is condemned in Scripture. The Apostle Paul, writing by inspiration of the Holy Spirit, declares that homosexuality "shall not inherit the kingdom of God" (I Corinthians 6:9; 10). Now Paul does not single out the homosexual as a special offender. He includes fornicators, idolators, adulterers, thieves, covetous persons, drunkards, revilers and extortioners. And then he adds the comment that some of the Christians at Corinth had been delivered from these very practices: "And such were some of you: But ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the spirit of our God" (I Corinthians 6:11). All of the sins mentioned in this passage are condemned by God, but just as there was hope in Christ for the Corinthians, so is there hope for all of us.

Homosexuality is an illicit lust forbidden by God. He said to His people Israel, "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination" (Leviticus 18:22). "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them" (Leviticus 20:13). In these passages homosexuality is condemned as a prime example of sin, a sexual perversion. The Christian can neither alter God's viewpoint nor depart from it.
Homosexuality: The Christian Perspective | Bible.org - Worlds Largest Bible Study Site

So there's homosexuality. But as I write this, there are many that key in on the homosexuality in the Bible, but feel free to break whatever the other rules are. In fact, many parts of the country that are deeply Christian, are also the hot spots when it comes to breaking just about every other rule there is in the Bible.

So would Christ use the Throwing Stones analogy? Would he simply remind those that seem to be preoccupied with the sexual activity of others that they have some problems as well? What would Christ think of the bigoted and hateful writings of many that proclaim to be Christians?

I grew up Roman Catholic. I believe I've pondered the actions of my elders and others around me since I was probably 10 or so. To this day, I've never been able to align the actions of many adults with their professed beliefs. To this day, I don't think I've spent more than the time it took me to blather on this thread about homosexuality. But all around me, there still exists the unwashed and unsanctified, spewing their hate and bigotry while never once casting dispersions upon the reflection in the mirror.

It's very ironic, in that I do have a gay cousin. I've never thought of her as such, and I doubt she has ever thought of me as a hetero either. She's one of the most delightful and helpful people you'd ever meet. And, she's about as close as you could get today to being a very spiritual being and a good Christian. She might be but one thing to those that choose to dwell on it, but there are very few people I've met in life that could begin to measure up to her. Somehow, I think that God knows this too. But it's his right, as only God can judge. Right?

Old 09-03-2015, 03:34 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
There are none perfect and a sin is a sin regardless of what type it is.

Consider what Christ might be given to say if there were a group of sinners of a particular variety that flaunted their sin in the faces of others and demanded that they tolerate that with which those did not agree.

How about if they pushed to have their sin recognized as lawful and deserving of the protection of Law?

Do thieves calls for this?
Adulterers?
Liars?
Do they call for "rights" for recognition of these deeds?

Therein lies some of the differences.

To relate, my father was a homosexual declaring it coming up on 25 years with my Mother.
The nicest, most social, organized, involved, and responsible person you could ever meet.

That is not an argument for any sin especially one that is practiced intentionally on a daily basis.
Committing a sin is something all do, living it is taking it to the extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies