Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 10:24 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,230 times

Advertisements

The deliberately mislabeled horse meat seems to have come from Romania with some local Romanian company trying to cut corners by selling cheaper horse meat mixed with ground beef then labeling it as beef. How did they get caught? Government tests in Ireland and the UK detected the fraud.

This is a case where regulations and enforcement (along with punishment for breaking said regulations) needs to be strengthened and in the US it is unlikely such fraud would have been caught since such spot checks and independent testing of items bought off the shelf in super markets almost never occurs. It was caught by government enforcement and that companies were even trying to pull a fast one means there needs to be greater enforcement in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 10:33 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times
Filly Cheesesteak, anyone?

Old 02-11-2013, 11:55 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You stated that horses and donkeys get banned drugs.
I asked you to name those banned drugs.

Instead you post a reply about feeding your cat instead.
Why do you want to split hairs over this? Horses and Donkeys are NOT food animals. If and when they are to become so, then aspects of their husbandry would have to change. Period. To bring them into the food chain while they are still unclassified as food animals is morally reprehensible. You would not be arguing the contrarian viewpoint if this was a scandal unfolding where you buy your beef... meat.

H

Old 02-12-2013, 03:21 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,230 times
They're food items in a lot of countries and I don't see a problem with eating them.

That said, this is still a case of fraud because some companies were attempting to deceive customers by labeling it "beef" when it mostly wasn't. It's just another example of how companies will lying and cheat customers without proper regulations and enforcement to keep them honest. Remember that next time Republicans spew BS about letting companies self regulate.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:40 PM

57 posts, read 72,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Why do you want to split hairs over this? Horses and Donkeys are NOT food animals. If and when they are to become so, then aspects of their husbandry would have to change. Period. To bring them into the food chain while they are still unclassified as food animals is morally reprehensible. You would not be arguing the contrarian viewpoint if this was a scandal unfolding where you buy your beef... meat.

H
I have in my hand a bottle of DVMectrin. Ivomec(dewormer for horses)that says,"Ivermectin for Horses Only. Residue Warning: Do not use in horses intended for food purposes." "Federal(USA)law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed verterinarian."

They are a food animal.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrisj View Post
I have in my hand a bottle of DVMectrin. Ivomec(dewormer for horses)that says,"Ivermectin for Horses Only. Residue Warning: Do not use in horses intended for food purposes." "Federal(USA)law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed verterinarian."

They are a food animal.
Maybe there's another ingredient in there.
Ivermectin is used on humans.
With chickens you can eat the eggs after 2 weeks.
During those 2 weeks I feed the eggs to the dogs (if there's wormer residue then I get double usage).

Ivermectin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-12-2013, 02:00 PM

57 posts, read 72,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Maybe there's another ingredient in there.
Ivermectin is used on humans.

Ivermectin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's used on a lot of species. The bottle I have though is specifically for horses, purchased through my veterinarian and is liquid in form. I believe the active ingredient(Ivermectin)is higher in this particular brand than is found in OTC pastes for horses. I can't say for sure because the package insert is gone. Either way, horses are still recognized as a food animal. Not that I want to eat one...just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies