Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 07:22 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
The issues that you are looking at are only a small portion of the issues that you should be looking at before casting your ballot.

Get better educated on all issues that affect you, your family, your consititional freedoms, your ability to make a decent living, your ability to provide a decent future for your family. Better define how you see our country's role domestically and around the world. Listen to justifications for and specific reasons for international intervention. Look at voting records, executive experience, stances on financial and issues, stances on social issues that are important to you. Look at where the candidates have been, what they have said, associations they have had. Listen to how they talk, whether or not they look people in the eye, how they deal with people, whether or not you perceive their interest, their words and their actions while temporarily out on the campaign trail and amongst the "unwashed masses" to be honest. Evaluate their relationships with any organization that holds big money. Big money = big donors = big IOUs that will be called in at some point after the election. Look for specific examples (many specific examples) of how they would run the country - not just sweeping generalizations that sound good in sound bites on the nightly news. Look at who they surround themselves with as advisors (and get to know who these people are), who they say they would pick for their senior positions (and get to know who these people are). Listen to them hard and critically. They will tell you (usually in a round about way because nailing any specifics down always alienates somebody, and they don't want to alienate anybody) exactly what their priorities are.

Go back to the top of my post - you, family, freedoms, ability to make a living, ability to leave a decent future for your kids, ability to keep you secure from legitimate international threats.

Or just dismiss an entire political party because they do not agree with your stance on gays and abortion, and tell them to stop the crazy.
To some Americans all of the bolded are directly related to the stance on gays.
I do not have the freedom to have my family legally recognized. I can be fired (ability to make a living) in my state for being gay which has an effect on my ability to help my children have a decent future.

The things you mentioned are not separate from the R stance on gays they are very much one in the same for millions of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 07:28 PM

657 posts, read 695,187 times
Because global warming is a lie. Scientists involved in the case have said so. The data put out by the government proves it too.

I'm actually a conservative, and I think the GOP has no chance. The party is full of dunces. The American public voted against Romney in the last election. The man stands for the mainstream lying sack of scrap politician.

Jeb Bush is another one. I just don't see how the GOP would pick any other candidate than those 2. This all the while they have the candidates with the best chances of beating Hillary or Warren. Rand Paul and Scott Walker.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/servic...301-201312.png

Old 01-13-2015, 07:32 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,882,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I can be fired (ability to make a living) in my state for being gay which has an effect on my ability to help my children have a decent future.
And I could be fired for being straight.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
To some Americans all of the bolded are directly related to the stance on gays.
I do not have the freedom to have my family legally recognized. I can be fired (ability to make a living) in my state for being gay which has an effect on my ability to help my children have a decent future.

The things you mentioned are not separate from the R stance on gays they are very much one in the same for millions of us.

Which state is this. There are federal laws that prohibit firing people for their sexual preference, color, etc...

If gays were smart, they'd align with the Libertarian party, which goes by the constitution. If the government respected the constitution, the government should not play favorites and treat everyone equal. It also means that the government should not impose their will over the church. It's up to the church to decide how they deal with gays.

Unfortunately, the majority of gays are liberals and align with the democrats, which is no different than the GOP.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:50 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post
Which state is this. There are federal laws that prohibit firing people for their sexual preference, color, etc...

If gays were smart, they'd align with the Libertarian party, which goes by the constitution. If the government respected the constitution, the government should not play favorites and treat everyone equal. It also means that the government should not impose their will over the church. It's up to the church to decide how they deal with gays.

Unfortunately, the majority of gays are liberals and align with the democrats, which is no different than the GOP.
No federal laws cover sexual orientation. In the state of Mississippi it is ok to fire someone because they are gay, it is ok to evict a gay person, it is ok to refuse service to a gay person simply because they are gay.

No one is telling the church what their stance on gay is, no church is required to marry gays, or hire gays, or allow membership to gays. This is not about churches, but about government recognition, and businesses.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:53 PM

31,009 posts, read 22,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Christians make up the majority of the Democratic party and the rest of the US too, something liberals conveniently forget every time they try to bash Christians.

Faith on the Hill: The Religious Composition of the 113th Congress | Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project
Their mostly older and White too, including 1/2 of the current President.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
No federal laws cover sexual orientation. In the state of Mississippi it is ok to fire someone because they are gay, it is ok to evict a gay person, it is ok to refuse service to a gay person simply because they are gay.

No one is telling the church what their stance on gay is, no church is required to marry gays, or hire gays, or allow membership to gays. This is not about churches, but about government recognition, and businesses.
Now I get what you are saying, but I also think you are approaching it the wrong way. As a business, we make choices (good or bad) based on our believes. In your state, businesses are not smart enough to figure out they are losing revenue by not servicing gays. I bet other businesses welcome that.

I agree that the government should not play favorites, but I don't think businesses fall under the same umbrella in acceptance. I bet you could suit if you were fired because of sexual orientation with documented proof. Of course, the business doesn't have to tell you it was because of that. It's freedom of choice, they don't service you, you are not forced to pay.

As an example, I bet anyone here would be more willing to rent to a white person as opposed to a minority. I am a minority and I just don't sweat it, I take my business elsewhere. I always say that most of us are racist and have prejudices...and that is fine in my opinion. What I won't allow is for someone to harm me or my loved ones. Doesn't really matter what's going through your mind.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
If they would just dump the far right kooks who say global warming is not real and that science that does not agree with the bible is wrong, I would take a look at them again. I am for guns and our gun rights. But the far right Christian nut jobs who want to make abortion illegal and put their god in schools, and stop people from marrying who they want, make me walk away. Stop the crazy and you can win.
Op the democratic party is the place for you; among the whatever turns you o kooks.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:12 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Problem with the GOP is that they can't win elections without the Christian Right, they also can't seem win with them . Catch 22
Yeah, it's not like they've had any electoral success lately, or anything. Funny how this meme gets repeated ad nauseum every time the GOP has a wave election. It's like liberals think they won when they lost.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:09 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,461,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
No one is "bashing" Christians The left just doesn't want the religious right to control the government.
Nonsense. Leftists bash Christians frequently with derisive comments about the white bearded m an in the sky, accusations of hypocrisy if the Christian doesn't live a pristine life, accusations of being anti-education and anti-science, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies