Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:28 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,724 times

Advertisements

I'm reading "one second after". I know it was pretty much written by Republicans (even has a forward from Newt) but. . its actually a scenario that I see as 1/2 way possible. Not quite yet, but soon?

Electromagnetic Pulse - the idea is to detonate a nuclear weapon ~100 miles up. You wipe out all electricity, cars, power plants, etc for hundreds of miles. Though I'm not sure how good a coverage you could get, the book implies it takes 3 to take out the power to the US.

3 bombs is within the reach of North Korea. . if their suicidal.

My thinking on the book is that. . the cold war truism holds still. North Korea and/or Iran are unlikely to attack . It is too risky. . .I would assume we would still turn their countries into parking lots if such a thing happened.

So . . maybe an EMP attack from a terrorist or fringe element could happen. . .but I think it would be isolated. i..e 40,000 feet up from New York city could wipe out power to a lot of the US complex.

Yet the impact of an EMP attack can not be overstated. . . losing all power and autos . . .the die off would be huge.

So I'm still going to put this in the "not likely for Denver" list. Maybe if I was on the east coast I might create a survival binder (i.e. print out how to catch game, distill water, make a steam pump) . . .but I don't think I would go so far to buy a gun (though if it happens, Guns would be very nice to have).

yet I've learned that you can REALLy hurt the United States a lot cheaper than with all out nuclear war. . .3 bombs. That is a small number.. .the harder part would be getting them up 100 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 08:31 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
I think that a cyber attack is more likely. Computers control pretty much everything, and the hackers can be virtually untraceable.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:33 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I think that a cyber attack is more likely. Computers control pretty much everything, and the hackers can be virtually untraceable.

true, but combine that with a large EMP burst over the USA 1-2 days after a computer attacks starts, and that could wreak havoc in the USA.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:34 AM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Great book and VERY plausable, but yes there are other doomsday senarios that are probably in the lead over an EMP attack. Read the book "Survivors: A novel of the coming collapse" by James Wesley Rawles. I think that one potrays a more realistic issue that is close at hand.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:43 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,561 times
You may have not been checking the news lately...

Are American Companies Ignoring Significant Cyber Threats? Joel Brenner Answers Your Questions | PBS NewsHour

Quote:
The internet was never designed to be a secure means of communication, yet it's become the backbone of the U.S. economy. Hundreds of millions of dollars are drained from corporate accounts, and technology designs are pilfered every year by criminal hackers and nation states. Key systems that all Americans rely on, from the electrical grid to the major transit systems, are all vulnerable to varying degree.

U.S. businesses need to beef up cyber security - Los Angeles Times

GOP senator backs Reid's push to revive cybersecurity legislation - The Hill's Hillicon Valley

It would be far..far...far more plausible for cyber terrorists to hack into businesses and municpal infrastructure to cause havoc...and even significant damage.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:50 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
true, but combine that with a large EMP burst over the USA 1-2 days after a computer attacks starts, and that could wreak havoc in the USA.
What is cheaper and easier to aquire...a lap top or a EMP device and delivery system?

Old 02-12-2013, 08:52 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
You may have not been checking the news lately...

Are American Companies Ignoring Significant Cyber Threats? Joel Brenner Answers Your Questions | PBS NewsHour

U.S. businesses need to beef up cyber security - Los Angeles Times

GOP senator backs Reid's push to revive cybersecurity legislation - The Hill's Hillicon Valley

It would be far..far...far more plausible for cyber terrorists to hack into businesses and municpal infrastructure to cause havoc...and even significant damage.

Basically, they could make billions of dollars disappear with a single keystroke.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:52 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
What is cheaper and easier to aquire...a lap top or a EMP device and delivery system?

depending on the country doing the EMP burst. the computer virus can be fixed, hard to fix what happens after an emp burst when electricity isnt even up.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:09 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,890 times
That is why I am a prepper there are so many different scenarios:
economic collapse
mother nature
cyber attack
nuclear
civil unrest
etc
etc

I use to let thinking about it stress me out and that is easy to do but now I just trying to enjoy life and do the best I can.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:13 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Alot of people sure fantasize about America getting destroyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies