Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 03:21 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
That's the issue, a lot of them are never going to "start making it".

Look at the income breakdowns in this country. When the majority of people see the wages offered for most jobs and see their cost of living than they'll find other ways to make it. Whether that'll be a second job, criminal activity or big brother government people will generally do or vote what's in their best interest.
A very acute observation. For some of the more obtuse commentators in this thread, wage stagnation, debt burden and a lousy job market apparently is something that happens to unknown people in a land far, far away. For the sorts of people quoted in the NYT piece, it's worrying, grinding reality. They're not going to sit still and nod in blank agreement when the likes of Mitt Romney says their problem is that just that they're a lazy, shiftless lumpenproletariat.

The Right supposes that the great challenge facing the nation is a voting majority of "takers". They should be so lucky: if Big Government doesn't work for an active and youthful generation, revolutionary politics is the next stop.

Real, stability-concerned, conservatives would understand this, and do whatever is necessary to wed the rising generation to the status quo, rather than allow them to become the disaffected enemies of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 03:24 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
What confirms this "big government" mentality is the ongoing cry by Millennials to have their student loan debts forgiven. This absolutely screams that they believe governments' purpose is to bail them out of the bad decisions they made.

It's absolutely disgusting.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:33 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
The right wing concetes of the baby boomers will, happily, die with them and both the country and the world will be better off for it.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:54 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
How's it working for them? Enjoying basement living? Wonder what happens to all those whose mommys don't have basements.

In my business I have to deal with millenials every so often and there are no kid gloves. They are expected to be as responsible as everyone else or they don't get to play.

I apologize to those of that generation who are motivated, independent and responsible, I don't mean you. I am also disappointed in many fellow gen xers who are doing a poor job as parents.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:58 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
A century ago, judging from the tenor of most of your remarks.
Your response indicates you are probably 15 yrs old

It is obvious that young folks want someone to take care of them, when they get older they should get some common sense. They will realize that MTV telling them how to think isn't working out

Old 02-12-2013, 04:01 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
As do 70% of Americans, 80% of TEA party members who embrace social security and medicare.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:07 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
The government has worked very hard to destroy any sense of self worth todays American youth carries. You're a helpless victim and only we can save you. It's been the same way with every oppressive government throughout history. Ruin the childs self esteem, separate them from family values, make them fight for your cause, sterilize them.

It's been a very rense and repeat method of governance through the 20th century and looks to continue through the 21st century as well.
Can you give us a few specific examples of this sinister government plot "to destroy any sense of self worth todays (sic) American youth carries?" I don't know of the program to sterilize children, ruin the child's self esteem, or separate them from family values.

The idea that government can be a positive force for good had been the status quo belief for many generations. It is only since the rise of movement conservatism that introduced the view that government can never do anything right, did that change.

When I was a child, it was clear as day what the government can do. Government vaccinated children so they wouldn't get polio and small pox. Now those diseases are eradicated. Government put people in space. Government controlled air and water pollution. Government made it harder for corporations to exploit their workers.

Finally, the youth are awakening to the beliefs that were previously widely held.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:08 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
What confirms this "big government" mentality is the ongoing cry by Millennials to have their student loan debts forgiven. This absolutely screams that they believe governments' purpose is to bail them out of the bad decisions they made.

It's absolutely disgusting.
No. Just no.

I'm a 20 year old college student so this issue is very much a part of my life at this stage and I hear many, many opinions from a plethora of people. Like I said, I've talked to dozens upon dozens of people and no one wants student loan debts to be forgiven because they believe that the government's purpose is to "bail them out". In fact, I've never heard that in my life. The vast majority of people don't think like that.

The most common reasoning I hear behind the desire for student loan debt forgiveness by an overwhelming margin is because no one believes that we (our generation or any generation for that matter), should have to start off their lives in a massive hole with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of debt. That's just outrageous and asinine, imo. This is especially true when you look at almost all other developed countries and see that students in those countries go to university for a LOT less money than their American counterparts. Heck, some even go for absolutely free for heaven's sake.

Charging the insane amount of money that most American colleges do is also just counterproductive imo. First off, it prevents many people (possibly the next Einstein) from going to school because they can't afford to pay for it and don't want to take on the massive debt. I think that if costs were reduced, and a college education became more affordable, then that would also benefit the country. An educated workforce is better for the country. And not everyone is cut out for college, I get that 100%, but this current system is just ridiculous, counterproductive, and just unsustainable imho. Something has to crack/change going forward.

I think it's funny that the ultra-right wingers are all about "pull yourself up by your bootstraps", and you can make your own way, etc. but then support a system that is essentially impossible for one to do so and say things that suggest that going to college to try to better yourself and your life is a "bad decision". Of course, if you have a nice bank account, then it's another story completely. But if you're born poor in this country and have no/ crappy health care and can't afford to go to college, then good luck with that. And they wonder why social mobility has gone down drastically in this country? And, then, the same right-wingers also condemn the poor as well (not formally, obviously, but you know what I mean....). I just find the whole thing a bit mind blowing.

I'm not saying that I think college should be completely free, because I don't. I do, however, think that a system like the one in Canada (or Australia) is a good model to follow. The students have to pay, but it's not a ridiculous amount of money that causes most people to have crushing debt. It's much more manageable and reasonable.

I'm fortunate that my parents are able to pay for my education due to their financial situation, but I also realize that most people are not as fortunate as I am. I'm friends with many people such as this and I hear stories about this all the time.

So, no, your reasoning is wrong. At least in my experience.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:08 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
What 300+ million people country doesn't have a big government running it? Heck, what does big or small government even mean these days? They are nothing more than hyperbole political terms that get thrown around too much. most people want a well run government that works.

As for the comment someone made about the youth being more interdependent on their friends and family, that was a really interesting observation on how being a global and technologically advanced society we have become and it is really reflected in our youth.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:09 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
The right wing concetes of the baby boomers will, happily, die with them and both the country and the world will be better off for it.
No America won't..... it will just leave a bunch of lazy tools complaining that they can't get the job they want because they voted in an idiot........like you......The young folks will never be a hair on the butt of those older generations..... this is coming from someone in his late 20's

You should change your screen name to something that is much more honest for you.... call yourself "can't think 4 myself"..... then you can say you tell the truth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies