Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 12:55 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

I understand the antipathy towards government surveillance but what I don't get is the specific ire over drones. Law enforcement agencies both federal and state have been flying aerial surveillance for decades with all the capabilities associated with the Predator family of drones. So what is it about drones in particular that is cause for an uptick in the conversation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 12:59 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I understand the antipathy towards government surveillance but what I don't get is the specific ire over drones. Law enforcement agencies both federal and state have been flying aerial surveillance for decades with all the capabilities associated with the Predator family of drones. So what is it about drones in particular that is cause for an uptick in the conversation?

you can shoot down the latter two? hard to shoot down a drone if you cant see it. alot of drones are really small.

http://www.cnet.com/8301-30976_1-574...r-and-scarier/

Old 02-12-2013, 01:00 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Drones cost less and are a simple word for the paranoid to shout DRONE! DRONE!

Couldn't have them shouting U-2 and have people looking for concert tickets now, could we?

Old 02-12-2013, 01:02 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
U2 - great band from the 80's that quickly went downhill in the mid 90's
Drone - subserviant tool who happily and slavishly works for his bosses and thanks them for his meager earnings
helipcopter - self explanatory

Old 02-12-2013, 01:03 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
U2 made some great music.

Drones do what helicopters do but they are far less expensive to operate, are safer for the pilot because the pilot is sitting on the gound some place far from any danger zone.

On the other hand, drones can become the tool of the despot to cower the masses... so care MUST be taken if we are going to pretend to remain the land of the free....

Seriously I have no issue with an UNARMED DRONE being used to servail and look for a criminal on the run. I do have serious issues with an armed drone flying over America droping bombs on suspects.

It is one thing to blow the carp out of an American turned terrorist living in Yemen.... I applaud that action.
It is another thing entirely to do the same to an American on American soil even if that person is a really bad bad guy...but that we have not arrested and covicted and given due process.

Freedom has never been free. It has a high price. that price sometimes requires NOT taking the easy road in dealing with seriously messed up people.

But U2 is truely and awsome group of musicians. Has anyone ever come out so strong as U2 did with Boy, October, War and Under a Blood Red Sky????

Old 02-12-2013, 01:05 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
One is manned one is not

Old 02-12-2013, 01:11 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Just to be clear, people who are concerned about drones are also concerned about surveillance in general. The uptick in conversation is because the drones are currently being added to the surveillance machine. Considering how inexpensive they are in comparison to manned aircraft, their use has the potential to be widespread where manned aircraft surveillance has always been limited due to cost. It is estimated that 30,000 drones will be flying in the US by 2020. That's a lot of spying.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:19 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
you can shoot down the latter two? hard to shoot down a drone if you cant see it. alot of drones are really small.

I can?

[looks in garage for SAM]

Old 02-12-2013, 01:20 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
I have no issue with using a drone to track down a bad guy or to aid in the capture of a fleeing subject or to track a car chase etc.

I have serious objection to, and will never agree to the idea of thousands of drone flying over us watching us. I actually think stop light cameras are an aweful idea and an invasion of privacy and should be done outlawed.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:21 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
U2 made some great music.

Drones do what helicopters do but they are far less expensive to operate, are safer for the pilot because the pilot is sitting on the gound some place far from any danger zone.

On the other hand, drones can become the tool of the despot to cower the masses... so care MUST be taken if we are going to pretend to remain the land of the free....
As can fighter jets, attack helicopters, tanks, etc., etc., etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Seriously I have no issue with an UNARMED DRONE being used to servail and look for a criminal on the run. I do have serious issues with an armed drone flying over America droping bombs on suspects.

It is one thing to blow the carp out of an American turned terrorist living in Yemen.... I applaud that action.
It is another thing entirely to do the same to an American on American soil even if that person is a really bad bad guy...but that we have not arrested and covicted and given due process.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies