Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 01:13 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,670,574 times

Advertisements

Majority of people watching the State of the Union liked the President’s speech | WPMT FOX43

And that's from Fox news...so you know its real.

53% very positive
24% somewhat possitive
22% negative.

Well with that good a number then independents and some repulicans liked him too...well shut my mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 01:47 AM

20 posts, read 13,300 times
Well, there is this too:

"Tuesday night's State of the Union audience is more Democratic than the nation as a whole, which is typical for a President Obama speech and indicates that the speech-watchers were predisposed to like what Obama said," noted CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "When George W. Bush was president, his audiences were more Republican than the general public at that time, and his speeches were usually well-received for that same reason."

Old 02-13-2013, 01:57 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This is simply not true.

Top Ten highest wage states and whether they are above or below the US median unemployment rate:

Washington - 7.6 - national average
Oregon - 8.4 - higher than national average
Vermont - 5.1 - below national average
Nevada - 10.2 - ranked #2 out of 50 states for the dubious honor of HIGHEST UNEMPLOYMENT RATE
Illinois - 8.7 - FAR above the national average, ranked #7
Connecticut - 8.6 - ranked #10
Massachusetts - 6.7 - below national average
California - 9.8 - ranked #3
Ohio - 6.7 below national average

So - out of the ten states paying the highest minimum wages, only 3 ranked BELOW the national unemployment rate (and two of those three only slightly), and SIX ranked ABOVE the national unemployment rate, with three of those in the top ten states with the highest unemployment rates!

And two of those three were ranked #2 and #3 for the WORST UNEMPLOYMENT RATES IN OUR NATION.

Minimum wage in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of U.S. states by unemployment rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NOW - DRUMROLL PLEASE:

Out of the ten states with the LOWEST minimum wage, all but ONE of them are below the national unemployment rate. FOUR of the ten are in the Top Ten when it comes to states with the highest EMPLOYMENT rates.

Whoduthunkit to hear our illustrious President's speech tonight?
I'm not sure how relevant this is since states with higher cost of living would be expected to have higher state minimum wages.

Higher cost of living makes these places less competitive for companies as places to build factories and plants because they have to pay their employees more (whether it's because of a state minimum wage or market pressures).

So it's kind of a chicken or the egg thing, since higher minimum wages might contribute to higher cost of living. But cost of living is highly dependent on housing prices, and housing prices are highly dependent on population density. So any effect could have more to do with geography and population density than with minimum wage laws.

Also, I'm not sure how you arrived at the "ten states with the lowest minimum wage." The minimum wage in any state is the greater of the federal and state minimum wage. So if a state has no minimum wage, or a minimum wage below the federal level, then the federal level applies. Only 16 states have a minimum wage above the federal level. That means that the other 34 states all have the exact same minimum wage. Therefor, it is impossible to select the "the ten states with the lowest minimum wage." Any comparison would have to do be done with those 34 states vs. the ones that have a higher state minimum wage.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:00 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I am fine with it.

Very few reputable businesses pays its workers the minimum wage. $9 is a reasonable figure, and if it gets tied to inflation, all the better.
And when all those people suddenly find themselves at the new federal minimum wage what do you think will happen?

People on this board still have a hard time figuring out no matter what they do they're going down the same road. They think moving slightly to the left or right in the lane is going to change things but it won't.

Moving the minimum wage up won't change a thing. All that will need to happen the. For you to compete globally is the dollar will have to lose more value than it already needs to lose for you to compete.

And for the not-too-bright, inflation doesn't help the lowest paid workers. It enriches the people with real estate. It enriches even more so people with rental real estate. You know, the trust funds of the "rich" and famous.

You folks keep on talking and pushing for the opposite of what you really need and people like myself sit back and laugh as you still have the gas pedal pressed to the floor headed for the Stupid Cliff where you seem to be ready to go straight off the side waving your flag of omnipotence.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:04 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
That we have had little inflation the last few years is not at all a surprise with consumer de-leveraging, bank uneasiness, and qualified applicants' reluctance take on loans. Those are the reasons why they started quantitative easing in the first place, to prevent deflation and encourage lending.

People act like the Fed has no power to curb inflation when lending picks up. They do, and it has been done before. Paul Volcker cut inflation from 13.5% to 3.2% from 1981 to 1983 by raising the federal funds rate.

They can also sell off assets, increase reserve requirements, and pay interest on bank reserves.

It's not a one-way valve.
High unemployment, high interest rates, high inflation rates and low savings rates gave way to the term stagflation.

That was the last time Keynes failed and here you are again ready to let a new generation experience liberal "Utopia."

Old 02-13-2013, 02:28 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Hmmm... and is anyone surprised? Did anyone watch? Maybe the millions on welfare and the millions of unemployed care.

I know ha" Predictible, same old same old, crappy lines and lies. Same crap always, but nothing ever gets done to fix a damn thing.

This is a sluggish economy, that has made minor improvemnts and no more.

No more talk, just action.

Talks a good game, but that is it, this is anything but a moving economy. The whole economy on a whole, is not moving.

Show me the damn jobs, show me those who are on welfare but don't want to be, will find a job soon.

Those whom i have known who lost jobs, want a job again, not a ho-hum job, but a damn good paying job with benefits to be on the same playing field as the job they lost.

Housing in many parts of the Country and different cities, are still experiencing a sluggish market, because of the thousand and thousands of short sales, repos, and foreclosures, making the value of a standard home sale, go down.

Everyone knows when we have a good booming thriving housing market, we have a better economy.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:31 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
So what?
More importantly,how many americans even watched?
This one didnt, I've had my fill of lies, manipulations and distortions. I suspect a majority feel the same.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:33 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
I didn't watch it - I was more interested in Dorner.

Count me part of the 23%.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:54 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,423 times
Just another campaign speech.

Sad.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:03 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
They know they are going to be standing in the unemployment line pretty soon - and the country they just left will revert back to the rock strewn hell hole it's been for two thousand years.

And all those American men and women who have been maimed and killed there will have suffered for nothing - absolutely nothing.
After they've stewed a while......after they've exhausted everything in their lives just to survive......they'll get a call from o.

'Hey, ya wanna work in MY 'civilian' force? The one that needs to be every bit as armed, trained, staffed and ready to move on a moments notice anywhere within the country.

Employment will go up, o will be proclaimed a hero.

We're going forward. : shocked:

Posse Comitatus will be wiped out of existence by decree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies