Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 06:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
How's setting a mandatory minimum wage giving US citizens a right to a job?
Sorry - don't understand your question. How does "setting a mandatory minimum wage" (which we already have, by the way) give ANY US citizen "a right to a job?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
We've had relatively little true inflation these past years, which is actually quite a surprise. What ended up happening was the banks basically became a vacuum for that liquidity injection the fed prescribed to fix what ails us. Obviously, it didn't work, but it did cover an awful lot of undeserved CEO bonuses. Nice work Obummer...

Now, when the banks start unleashing that $$$ they've been investing in T-bonds and such, THEN you will see what inflation really looks like. And then you can REALLY give Obama a firm high five, from behind and round again. Maybe his buddy Jay Z will join in, since he pals around so much with him, instead of people who actually know something about the economy.

What most people don't know is that ENERGY PRICES and FOOD PRICES (two major components of most peoples' household budgets) are not calculated into inflation figures.

These two costs - which hit every family in the US - have gone up ENORMOUSLY over the past few years.

Honestly, when I go grocery shopping, I often wonder how lower income families even survive, I'm so shocked by the price increases.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:52 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
The "Joe" comparison was striking, to me last night. I thought Jeff Dunham (ventriloquist) had his friend "Walter", the dummy, there. When I started googling, I found I'm not the only one noticing the similarity.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:53 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Same ****, different day with this President.

1) I'm the best President ever.
2) America is in a rut.
3) Republicans are to blame.
4) Fix the roads.
5) Republicans are to blame.
6) Fund science programs.
7) Republicans are to blame
8) Solve climate change.
9 ) Republicans are to blame.
10) Support the troops.
11) Republicans are to blame.
12) Obamacare is awesome.
13) Republicans are to blame.
14) Cut the debt and deficits.
15) Republicans are to blame.
16) Homosexuals are humans too.
17) Republicans are to blame.

In other words, there's nothing to hear in tonight's State of the Union speech from the most divisive, childish, thin-skinned, pandering leftist President to ever grace the House chamber.

Same ****, different day.

We don't like it but have no viable solutions to offer_________________________Republicans

Same ****, different day

Old 02-13-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post

Quote:
I'm not sure how relevant this is since states with higher cost of living would be expected to have higher state minimum wages.
Don't move the goalposts.

My response was a DIRECT response to the assertion made by a poster that the states that pay the HIGHEST minimum wages have the LOWEST unemployment rates - a claim which is total bunk.

Quote:
Higher cost of living makes these places less competitive for companies as places to build factories and plants because they have to pay their employees more (whether it's because of a state minimum wage or market pressures).
So in other words, a higher minimum wage creates an environment that is unfriendly to new business, expansion or growth. Ah, just what we need in this economy and in this age of outsourcing. Thanks, Obama, for such a stellar idea.

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure how you arrived at the "ten states with the lowest minimum wage." The minimum wage in any state is the greater of the federal and state minimum wage. So if a state has no minimum wage, or a minimum wage below the federal level, then the federal level applies. Only 16 states have a minimum wage above the federal level. That means that the other 34 states all have the exact same minimum wage. Therefor, it is impossible to select the "the ten states with the lowest minimum wage." Any comparison would have to do be done with those 34 states vs. the ones that have a higher state minimum wage.
I provided my sources - if you go to them, my methodology should be pretty clear.

You clearly say that 16 states have minimum wages higher than the federal minimum. I only chose the top TEN of those sixteen states (thought that was clear). Of the ten, SEVEN of them have unemployment rates that are higher than the national average - and of those seven, three are in the TOP ten when it comes to UNEMPLOYMENT RATE.

So I'd say it's a pretty safe bet to connect the dots and come to the conclusion that a high minimum wage doesn't help the unemployment rate or local economy.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I think it's too late for them to vote for Obama. He won't be getting a third term.
You haven't heard? There's already talk of doing away with the two term limit - from the left.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:07 AM

ONLY 5.2 PERCENT OF WORKERS IN THE US MAKE MINIMUM WAGE.

Just thought I'd clarify that. To hear Obama and his ilk talk, half the country is subsisting on minimum wage. Actually, most minimum wage workers are young, inexperienced, and working part time. In other words, their work frankly isn't worth very much money - they are in entry level positions and if they are good workers, they won't stay at that pay rate very long.

Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2011

Old 02-13-2013, 07:12 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What most people don't know is that ENERGY PRICES and FOOD PRICES (two major components of most peoples' household budgets) are not calculated into inflation figures.

These two costs - which hit every family in the US - have gone up ENORMOUSLY over the past few years.

Honestly, when I go grocery shopping, I often wonder how lower income families even survive, I'm so shocked by the price increases.
Glenn Beck made the claim that food prices are not in the CPI Basket, but like so many of Becks claims, it is false

Consumer Price Index Frequently Asked Questions

What goods and services does the CPI cover?

The CPI represents all goods and services purchased for consumption by the reference population (U or W) BLS has classified all expenditure items into more than 200 categories, arranged into eight major groups. Major groups and examples of categories in each are as follows:
  • FOOD AND BEVERAGES (breakfast cereal, milk, coffee, chicken, wine, full service meals, snacks)
  • HOUSING (rent of primary residence, owners' equivalent rent, fuel oil, bedroom furniture)
  • APPAREL (men's shirts and sweaters, women's dresses, jewelry)
  • TRANSPORTATION (new vehicles, airline fares, gasoline, motor vehicle insurance)
  • MEDICAL CARE (prescription drugs and medical supplies, physicians' services, eyeglasses and eye care, hospital services)
  • RECREATION (televisions, toys, pets and pet products, sports equipment, admissions);
  • EDUCATION AND COMMUNICATION (college tuition, postage, telephone services, computer software and accessories);
  • OTHER GOODS AND SERVICES (tobacco and smoking products, haircuts and other personal services, funeral expenses).

Old 02-13-2013, 07:14 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
ONLY 5.2 PERCENT OF WORKERS IN THE US MAKE MINIMUM WAGE.

Just thought I'd clarify that. To hear Obama and his ilk talk, half the country is subsisting on minimum wage. Actually, most minimum wage workers are young, inexperienced, and working part time. In other words, their work frankly isn't worth very much money - they are in entry level positions and if they are good workers, they won't stay at that pay rate very long.

Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2011
Yes, that is true. Also, most states had slready adjusted their minimum wages higher than the federal one, and some already have it higher than the proposed $9.00

Old 02-13-2013, 07:19 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
We haven't seen nothing yet as far as high food prices. They will rise in 2013 and it will be a luxury to eat. After all doesn't this administration want everyone to be rail thin. We will all look anorexic and Obama will be pleased as the American people struggle to put food on the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies