Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2014, 02:43 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Geez, Louise.

As I've tried twice to explain before..."visiting the continent" is not a solution...it is a START.

If you TRULY desire for (and I don't know which politically correct phrase you wish to read here so I will just stick with "black" even though in your world it is the improper term) black people in America to re-connect with where their people originated then I'd think you wouldn't be so dismissive of a START...such as visiting the lands of their ancestors.

The whole point of me saying "visit the continent" is that is a very obvious and simple way for black Americans to begin a journey of discovery.

Unlike North Koreans, black Americans are free to travel anywhere they wish (except Cuba, Iran, etc....you know what I mean).

Perhaps a visit will spark a greater desire to continue a self-guided education about African history and perhaps if all goes well within a couple of generations MOST black Americans will have the self-confidence and self-respect to totally reject thuggish sub-cultures within America (and, yes, I know it isn't just blacks who participate in this behavior but like it or not blacks are tagged with being the main propagators of this and if there are no easy examples for media to point to then the tag falls off).

If you really wish to improve the levels of self-respect in the black American community then throw out some ideas of your own instead of ripping me for suggesting a visit to Africa (gosh...what a crazy idea ).
Again, that was not the thrust of my post. Your comments insist on remaining on the most simplistic level when mine began beyond that.

My initial response to you included the following:

Quote:
When you can show me all the African descendants in the U.S. that still have their ancient religion like Jews, their cultural practices, their names and connections to their country/countries of origin, then you can sit down and act as though the former was much worse that the latter. The two are not comparable.

At one point 70% of the Africans/African descendants in Virginia were Igbos... where is their language? where are the cultural practices of Igbo peoples? Where is their religion? Oh yea, it died with slavery since all of that was beaten out of the people.
And your response is to accomplish that by first visiting the continent? Seriously?

No one is saying that visiting "Africa" would not spark more interest among "black" Americans, but it does not even touch the surface of what my post is discussing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 02:48 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post

What a nonsensical comment. I ask you whether or not you are of Caribbean background since you made a comparison. Not sure why you think that has anything to do with what you claim are self-inflicted wounds of African-Americans. It just sounded like you threw out Afro-Caribbean people as though you are so aware of our progress and challenges. Guess not...LOL.

Caribbean people of African descent have different cultures that evolved differently after slavery. There may have been colonialism but no Jim Crow. There was far more opportunity to regroup and establish our own cultures. Even still, many Caribbean nations have serious issues. Stop comparing different cultures as though you are completely aware of what it going on. Further, immigrants from all over often do better than native born/generational Americans. It's the immigrant drive.

Yep, as I predicted, you pretty much wrote what I thought you would in reply:

that disqualifies me from understanding

Since you are the expert here why not DESCRIBE the reasons why events in 1834 or 1949 DIRECTLY RELATE to negative actions taken by individuals with free will in 2014?

If an American of Irish descent shoots another white man in 2014 can that be tied back to the harsh treatment of the Irish in America in the 19th century?

Old 02-16-2014, 02:58 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
O.K. fair point but...

What are the statistics of achievement regarding black immigrants to the USA @ HBCUs?

Since, presumably, ALL of those students exhibit above average drive you'd think that foreign born blacks and American born blacks would perform at generally the same level, right?
You presume that I know what those statistics are.....when I don't. Besides, you are using subsets again. Unless the subsets can be demonstrated to be legitimate microcosms of the respective super sets, such juxtapositions cannot be argued to be representative of the general rule. You can creates segments of the African American population and pit them against other segments the African American population and do the same thing that you are doing with the Caribbean population. Its just an invalid way of doing analysis.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:09 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:

Since you are the expert here why not DESCRIBE the reasons why events in 1834 or 1949 DIRECTLY RELATE to negative actions taken by individuals with free will in 2014?

If an American of Irish descent shoots another white man in 2014 can that be tied back to the harsh treatment of the Irish in America in the 19th century?
It works like this. If acculturation manifest from emulation, in other words, its learned or mimicked...then it stands to reason that 3 centuries of racial abuse and denigration and the general devaluing of black life acculturated African Americans to do the same. I would go as far as to argue that "black culture" in America is the ugly side of white culture......because that is the side that whites exposed to blacks to learn. Hell....why do you think blacks still call each other what their oppressors called them.....which is the N word? Black people did not make that term up......that is what the oppressors called blacks, blacks learned it and now call each other that. Thus, is the N word related to 1849 and 1949 and 2014? Obviously there is a continuum.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:04 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:

Nowhere did my post state the bold. However, it does make you someone from the outside making assumption about cultures that you do not know. Busy comparing Caribbean cultures to African-Americans ones when you don't have much of a clue about the progress or challenges faced among the former.

That fact that you can even speak about an American of Irish descent show that you fails to grasp the depth of what occurred to African-Americans. Let me spell it out for you. They cannot even point to country/broad ethnic group, like the Irish who originate from Ireland can. But yet you can't see to understand how that ties into event that happened in the 1800s or prior. SMH.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Again, that was not the thrust of my post. Your comments insist on remaining on the most simplistic level when mine began beyond that.

My initial response to you included the following:

And your response is to accomplish that by first visiting the continent? Seriously?

No one is saying that visiting "Africa" would not spark more interest among "black" Americans, but it does not even touch the surface of what my post is discussing.
O.K. then what are your ideas then?

So far all I hear from you is that visiting Africa is pointless.

So let's hear some solutions...

Old 02-16-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You presume that I know what those statistics are.....when I don't. Besides, you are using subsets again. Unless the subsets can be demonstrated to be legitimate microcosms of the respective super sets, such juxtapositions cannot be argued to be representative of the general rule. You can creates segments of the African American population and pit them against other segments the African American population and do the same thing that you are doing with the Caribbean population. Its just an invalid way of doing analysis.
So what is the valid way of "doing analysis" and how surprised should I be that the "analysis" goes on to "prove" that personal responsibility is unimportant in determining the socio-economic outcomes of certain groups?

Old 02-16-2014, 05:23 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Geez, Louise.

As I've tried twice to explain before..."visiting the continent" is not a solution...it is a START.

If you TRULY desire for (and I don't know which politically correct phrase you wish to read here so I will just stick with "black" even though in your world it is the improper term) black people in America to re-connect with where their people originated then I'd think you wouldn't be so dismissive of a START...such as visiting the lands of their ancestors.

The whole point of me saying "visit the continent" is that is a very obvious and simple way for black Americans to begin a journey of discovery.

Unlike North Koreans, black Americans are free to travel anywhere they wish (except Cuba, Iran, etc....you know what I mean).

Perhaps a visit will spark a greater desire to continue a self-guided education about African history and perhaps if all goes well within a couple of generations MOST black Americans will have the self-confidence and self-respect to totally reject thuggish sub-cultures within America (and, yes, I know it isn't just blacks who participate in this behavior but like it or not blacks are tagged with being the main propagators of this and if there are no easy examples for media to point to then the tag falls off).

If you really wish to improve the levels of self-respect in the black American community then throw out some ideas of your own instead of ripping me for suggesting a visit to Africa (gosh...what a crazy idea ).
LOL@ "visiting the continent."

*sigh*

Old 02-16-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Nowhere did my post state the bold. However, it does make you someone from the outside making assumption about cultures that you do not know. Busy comparing Caribbean cultures to African-Americans ones when you don't have much of a clue about the progress or challenges faced among the former.

That fact that you can even speak about an American of Irish descent show that you fails to grasp the depth of what occurred to African-Americans. Let me spell it out for you. They cannot even point to country/broad ethnic group, like the Irish who originate from Ireland can. But yet you can't see to understand how that ties into event that happened in the 1800s or prior. SMH.
Translation: It's a black thing you wouldn't understandâ„¢

Welp...I guess you can't understand then why white people sometimes behave in a manner where personal safety supersedes presenting an image of political correctness. SMH

Old 02-16-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL@ "visiting the continent."

*sigh*
Again...an opinion about what I've proposed without a counter-opinion offering a solution of his own.

I think I'm beginning to understand why certain groups need so much extra assistance from the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies