Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2013, 12:54 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,074,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I guess this is what bothers me about this conversation. Somehow, minimum wage earners are seen as separate from the rest of us, and undeserving of holidays, benefits, etc.

I never felt the 4th of July was a "minor" holiday. It's the main summer holiday in our culture. As far as benefits, who needs health insurance more? The minimum wage earner, or the big bucks earner who can afford to pay cash?

Actually, retail, convenience stores, gas stations, restaurants are among the businesses likely to be open holidays, and also among the businesses that employ a lot of min. wage workers, so I can see that getting the 4th off could be an issue.

Exactly.
Key words being "a lot." It's just another day to these places and they have enough employees that they would stick to their normal weekly schedule unless there are time off requests. And as I said before, these places are MORE likely to give you time off when you ask b/c they have high turnover anyway and they don't want to have to retrain someone. I know full well that a lot of min wage employees are flaky and have no qualms with up and walking out or just not showing up for work and that is taken as them quitting, which means the company has to retrain someone else to do that position, and that is costly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 02:17 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,273,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
I have no problem with minimum wage earners having health insurance.

Here's then thing though most minimum wage employers have completely unaffordable insurance.

Take Walmart, more of their employees are on state benefits than not.

So, should Walmart give them better insurance resulting in us paying more?

Or should they get better jobs..

But doesn't Obamacate end this line of discussion?
I don't know all the details about the Affordable Care Act (there really is no such thing as "Obamacare"), but I do know that every business of over 50 employees has to provide insurance or pay a fine. That means a lot of hourly employees at fast-food and casual dining restaurants and retail establishments are going to be eligible for insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Key words being "a lot." It's just another day to these places and they have enough employees that they would stick to their normal weekly schedule unless there are time off requests. And as I said before, these places are MORE likely to give you time off when you ask b/c they have high turnover anyway and they don't want to have to retrain someone. I know full well that a lot of min wage employees are flaky and have no qualms with up and walking out or just not showing up for work and that is taken as them quitting, which means the company has to retrain someone else to do that position, and that is costly.
I admit that I never worked retail, fast food, convenience stores and the like. However, from what I have heard, from people who have and from my readings is that it only takes a short time, sometimes less than a day, to train these employees and they are very much considered expendable.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:24 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,217,758 times
Quote:
I don't know all the details about the Affordable Care Act (there really is no such thing as "Obamacare"), but I do know that every business of over 50 employees has to provide insurance or pay a fine. That means a lot of hourly employees at fast-food and casual dining restaurants and retail establishments are going to be eligible for insurance.

I admit that I never worked retail, fast food, convenience stores and the like. However, from what I have heard, from people who have and from my readings is that it only takes a short time, sometimes less than a day, to train these employees and they are very much considered expendable.
Just a heads up, but these people already have access to employer provided insurance.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:27 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,273,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Just a heads up, but these people already have access to employer provided insurance.
Some do, yes.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:29 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,442,461 times
Quote:
Obamacare is a name for the Affordable Care Act. That's like saying because there are cars, there is no such thing as automobiles.

The insurance is for full time employees. You can cut people back to part time and avoid giving them the benefits.

Quote:
Depends on what their job is going to be. Obviously it takes very little to get a new Walmart greeter. It takes a bit more if someone is going to stock shelves in a store with hundreds of different products that may be priced and shelved differently. People also build up skills over time. It may take a day to teach someone to stock 10 shelves an hour, but it make that person a month before they are stocking 15 shelves an hour. Also, for each employee you have to interview, check documents, and process them into the system. It's more than just grabbing somebody off the street and telling them how to punch keys on a cash register.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Some do, yes.
I think most do. I don't know about places like Friday's and Applebees.

Walmart
Target
Arby's
McD's
Pizza Hut
Grocery stores (all that I know of)
Home Depot/Lowes
Etc.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:38 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,326,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post

??? I do not recall ever having had access to employer-provided insurance.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? I do not recall ever having had access to employer-provided insurance.
Maybe you never tried to enroll.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:42 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,074,144 times
Quote:

And a lot of hourly employees who will have their hours cut or be laid off to avoid the company having to pay for insurance.
Quote:

Probably in some jobs, yes, but to master a position, it does take longer. There is no position in our restaurant that we can train in one day. There is a full shift of just doing orientation on the computer, filling out paperwork, going over the uniform policy and getting them on the schedule to start. That takes not only the employee but a manager (usually me). Thankfully corporate has done a lot of the informative stuff as videos and interactive computer stuff so it takes less time for the manager to review things, then training on whichever station can start more efficiently when the employee is already familiar with things.

I've held a variety of jobs, usually starting at the bottom, and there is probably only one job that I mastered in a day, and I am an intelligent person who learns quickly. It was at a call center doing market research. I got promoted a couple weeks later.

My point is, there are probably some jobs you can learn in a day but to master them takes longer, and that is where the bulk of the expense for a company comes into play, plus the time it takes for a manager to do the training, plus the cost of any errors made while the employee is learning.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:44 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,326,217 times
ople
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
The problem is, finding a spouse...

That's what I keep trying to tell these people. Women aren't clamoring to marry guys who make $10/hr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies