Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 11:54 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,733,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
That's 38.3% I think that qualifies as fully less than half.
Yeah but this is just one study, I've seen others that are closer to half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 12:03 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL that's right.

My husband and I started our own business a few years ago. No issue at all with the SEC. You don't have to "prove" much to any state or federal entity to start a business - basically it's just filing the right forms (which are found online) and paying some very small fees for processing those forms.

I mean, if you don't have $600 or so to file the required forms, you don't have much of a business, or a business plan.

I want to start a burger joint with $500 from each of 1,000 people. Explain how that is so easy anyone with $600 can do it.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:06 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Yeah but this is just one study, I've seen others that are closer to half.
Well, I just went with the one that YOU posted.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
That is what happens when people get degrees in marine biology but decide to live in the desert.

It's also what happens when there is a large surplus of college-educated labor and not enough jobs which require degrees. For example, Portland is filled with coffeeshops...and also filled with college-educated baristas.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I don't support higher minimum wage. I'd like it to be how it was during the pioneer hunter and gathering days. You showed up to a work site, waved down the boss and asked for work. When you were done you got compensated. I was just pointing out how stupid the argument people make is. You say everyone else feels entitled, as if you don't yourself.

In the pioneer hunting and gathering days there was free land yours for the taking if you worked the land and built shelter. Today, land and shelter cannot be purchased in many areas by a person earning minimum wage, and the best you can do (if you're lucky) is rent a crappy room or apartment.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You'll never get through to this guy. He wants a certain house, at a certain price, and nothing else will do. And he'll continue to work every conversation back around to how he's had to suffer because he wants it....wawawawa

Show me a non-rural place where this is allowed? Even Houston is full of HOAs that prohibit this sort of thing. (At least HOA restrictions are privately established and enforced, which is better than when government does it, but HOA restrictions accomplish the same thing.)

Old 02-17-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
More excuses. Lots of businesses are started without investors money, even with little capital. It does require hard work, sacrifice and an understanding of supply and demand.

How little capital does a burger flipper need to start a burger joint?

Old 02-17-2013, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
First of all, guilty as charged, when it comes to your inflammatory posts - you're right. When I start reading much of what you've written and you go off on some emotional, illogical tirade, I DO stop reading and move on.

Secondly - regarding shifts, part time work and holding two low paying jobs, let me give my perspective, as someone who worked in the staffing industry for many years:

Good workers may start out at minimum wage, but they DO NOT stay at minimum wage for very long. A good worker in an entry level job is still valuable to the company - it's the slipshod workers who do the bare minimum or less in entry level jobs whose jobs are most in jeopardy.

When a company has a good, hard worker in place, they are USUALLY more than willing to be a little flexible on shifts or schedules. That being said, sometimes the nature of the work is such that there simply isn't much room for flexibility, regardless of wage or payscale.

For instance, I worked as a bank manager for several years. It takes two people to open many combinations in the mornings. Workers simply cannot be very late - not even the manager (making much more than minimum wage) because otherwise the safes and combos can't be worked, and the bank can't open in time to serve it's customers.

I worked for an employer who owned several high-volume convenience stores. Every hourly employee was paid within 25 cents of minimum wage (the ones paid more than minimum were lifers who had worked there over 10 years). Our employer netted $3M annually. He never had difficulty finding someone qualified to work for minimum wage.

If none of us were worth keeping, how was the business so profitable?

Old 02-17-2013, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Why do they have to start a burger joint? How about starting out selling burgers at local flea markets or street fairs? I ran into a mom and son last weekend, who had a food truck. They'd worked 10 years making food for events and attending street fairs on weekends. They'd saved enough to buy a food truck. The next step is to own their own restaurant. They didn't have investors, and I certainly didn't see the SEC anywhere around.

Honestly, if that burger flipper really wanted to start a business, they would find a way to do it. Baby steps, hard work and sacrifice.

My first idea was for a food truck, but that costs more than I make in a year, plus I'd have to hire someone to drive it, which would blow the financials out of the water.

There was a guy in Portland who had a food cart (basically, a stationary off-street food truck; Portland is loaded with maybe 500 of them) in his driveway. It was so successful he remodeled his house and turned it into a full-blown restaurant.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Clearly all his hard work, sacrifice and unwillingness to make excuses about why he couldn't possibly start his own business paid off.

We don't know what sacrifice he had to make, or how much hard work he has put into it. The only thing I know for sure is that he has some very favorable leases, which means he's probably a very skilled negotiator (see also: wages ), and possibly also had some combination of luck, timing, and market conditions. For example, development, traffic, and transit patterns have favored his stores after he opened them. He has locations that pretty much literally bring foot traffic to his doors.

As for hard work these days, probably not so much. He spends about one-third of the year traveling overseas, and when he's in the office, he puts in about a standard 40-hour week (usually not in on weekends, stays late some weekdays and leaves early some weekdays, occasionally not in on weekdays.

And even that is somewhat debatable; he seems to spend an awful lot of his office time surfing the net and non-business chats.

If I were traveling overseas, I would be looking for some cool product(s) to add to the store - perhaps the next Red Bull, for example. But with this guy, no cool overseas products, so it's probably not a business trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies