Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 09:48 AM

25 posts, read 19,626 times

Advertisements

A minimum wage does very little to help the poor. Look at the Big Mac litmus...the cost of a big mac goes up everytime the minimum wage is increased. Now correlate that to those who more regularly eat big macs....FYI it isn't the wealthy. These increases may look good on one end but the indirect impact adversely hurts those it claims to help. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. If there is a minimum wage...it should be set at the state level. The fact of the matter is simple...money goes further in different parts of the country. An arbitrary figures that is great in Tennessee doesn't do sh*t in New Jersey. If states want to set a minimum wage...fine. It's not the responsibility of the federal government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 09:48 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Raise the minimum wage, and you'll get layoffs, stagnant pay and inflation.

But since according to Obama, if we raise the wage, everything will be good. So if that's the case, raise it. And if you're making minimum wage, you don't qualify for welfare or food stamps. I think that's a fair trade.

This is demonstrably false, the minimum wage has been fixed for nearly a decade and what have you got, layoffs, stagnant pay and inflation! You really need to exercise your brain, you have to consider another cause for these things! I'll provide a suggestion, it has something to do with the concentration of income and wealth in the hands of about 1-5% of our population. These are the deciders who have no problem in continuing doing business this way. Guess what they really apprieciate stooges like you buying this pablem that the poor are to blame for our American condition.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:51 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh please

min wage is for UNSKILLED workers

I;m in my eary 50's.....last time I worked min wage...I was 16
I know more than a few divorced women with undergraduate degrees who stayed home to raise kids because the couple decided it was the best thing for their children, the hubby ran off with someone else, and the only job the mom could find, after being out of the job market for so long, was minimum wage. Have you ever worked retail or for a nonprofit agency? There are more adults in that position than you want to believe.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:53 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
Brings to mind a pic I once saw.

A fast-food manager is talking to his crew, a dozen or so people standing around him.

He says:

"I have good news, and I have bad news.

"The good news is, the new minimum-wage law says I have to pay you more.

"The bad news is, I can't afford that, so two of you are fired."

Word.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:56 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Brings to mind a pic I once saw.

A fast-food manager is talking to his crew, a dozen or so people standing around him.

He says:

"I have good news, and I have bad news.

"The good news is, the new minimum-wage law says I have to pay you more.

"The bad news is, I can't afford that, so two of you are fired."

Word.
If they need the employees to get the job done, no one is going to fire anyone. That's just stupid. They still have to get product out to their customers, no matter what they're paying for staff. They either absorb the cost or raise prices to cover it, at least to the point where the market will bear it. Do you never give someone a raise ever? How does a business handle that extra cost? Lots of companies work off of a payroll scale based on time on the job--companies raise salaries all the time. It's the cost of doing business.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:02 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
This is demonstrably false, the minimum wage has been fixed for nearly a decade and what have you got, layoffs, stagnant pay and inflation! You really need to exercise your brain, you have to consider another cause for these things! I'll provide a suggestion, it has something to do with the concentration of income and wealth in the hands of about 1-5% of our population. These are the deciders who have no problem in continuing doing business this way. Guess what they really apprieciate stooges like you buying this pablem that the poor are to blame for our American condition.
uhm the min wage just changed in 07 and 09

Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 AM

1,137 posts, read 971,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
You calling the POTUS "dumbass" is sort of like the worm calling the chimp, slow. I guess in your world there are no people who will never attain to a position higher than an "entry level" job. Let me tell you something. I have travelled all over your country for years and I have seen that there are many millions of hard working people who will never read at more than a grade 2 level. In your world these people don't deserve a life I guess and you know what? I'm glad I don't live in your world.
If they are unwilling to obtain further marketable skills and use any one of the numerous adult education programs, then yes, they deserve the bare minimum. If they are complacent and think thats all they can get, then it is their fault and theirs alone.

Oh, and yes, the president is indeed a dumbass. His knowledge of economics, the Constitution, and reality in general is similar to that of a retarded goat.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:13 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Once upon a time, low/no skilled returned from war and landed union jobs in manufacturing.
At the time, there was an acute labor shortage because the U.S. was innundated with work to rebuild Europe.

25 years +/- later and the third world was ready, willing and able to compete for global business.

No one is going to pay substantially more for our exports when they can buy it cheaper in the global market. The job market moved from manufacturing to a service based enconomy, generally unprotected by unions, because there certainly is no shortage of people willing to take minimum wage jobs.

Technology subsequently transformed most remaining factories and they are not as reliant on low/no skilled labor as they once were.

About 3 million, well paying full time jobs with benefits, go unfilled in the U.S each year. Employers import labor to perform this work because they cannot fill these positions from the U.S. labor pool. Not everyone can be educated/trained to be competent in scientific, math and technology work.

Raising the minimum wage causes all other wages to increase over time and inflation, thus defeating the intention of increasing minimum wage. Publicly traded companies are generally governed to maximize the stock price. If one company does not, their competitor will and investment money will follow.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 02-13-2013 at 10:24 AM..

Old 02-13-2013, 10:15 AM

1,137 posts, read 971,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What dumbass would that be? I wouldn't expect that to be our president; even he isn't stupid enough to think that a high school kid working at McDonalds expects to make a "living wage". He's looking to pay for his iPad and gas money.

(Or did I overestimate the man? I didn't catch the SOTUA)
Yes, the in chief believes that the minimum wage should be raised to $9 an hour and tied to the increase of inflation so that people will have a "livable" wage.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-13-2013 at 01:18 PM..

Old 02-13-2013, 10:18 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Well last night the dumbass called for raising the minimum wage to a "livable wage".

Where do these morons get the notion that minimum wage is meant to be a living wage? It is an ENTRY level wage, it's not something meant to support your family on.

Minimum wage is for low to no skilled workers, nothing more nothing less. This is just another tactic designed to increase the costs incurred by business owners and will result on a net loss of jobs if this jackass gets his way.

The answer is not in raising the minimum wage, it is in reducing the excessive body of regulations that make the cost of living unaffordable to those earning minimum wage. Starting with housing.

Half of all minimum wage workers are at least 25 years old. Get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies