Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 12:32 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas van Rijn View Post
Support has doubled! All the way from 1% to 2%!

Can you prove that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 10:06 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,918,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I really wish this topic would drop... Texas isn't going anywhere... No, not because we are incapable, but because WE ARE AMERICANS TOO!! Give it a rest. For crying out loud...

No you're not. As the people of Texas remind us over and over.

I love this talk that it is such a tiny, tiny movement.

18% isn't that small of a number, and that was before Obama was re-elected.

I'm hopeful it grows by leaps and bounds.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:41 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,201,702 times
Let me just declare a few pieces of information.

1) Texas is not going to secede, it simply isn't going to happen. Its economy is far too integrated with the rest of the United States.

2) Texas would actually be better off over the long-run if it seceded.

3) If Texas actually did secede, it will not be invaded by any other country. Its population of 26 million would make it the 46th largest country in the entire world. Which means it would have a population larger than about ~150 other countries. And its economy would be the 15th largest in the entire world. Coincidentally, right behind Mexico(and right ahead of South Korea).

4) If Texas somehow did actually attempt to secede, it would most definitely not do so alone. Many of its neighbors would go with it. Thus actually creating a much larger country.

With that said, I implore anyone who is interested in Texas secession, to read John C. Calhoun's address to Congress in 1850. While it largely is a discussion about slavery. I find most interesting its discussion about national party politics, and how national politics helps to actually silence talks of secession, for the sake of party unity. And how, if secession actually does begin to take hold, it won't be brought about by national discussion, but will rather be driven by much smaller movements in certain states and regions of the country, which will largely be ignored on the national level. And if the national government continues to ignore them, or continues to push an agenda that is increasingly unpopular in those areas of the country, it will just worsen the hostility and embolden the movement.

John C. Calhoun on the Clay Compromise Measures - 1850

And I'll leave you with Lord Acton's remarks on the Confederacy...

“I saw in States’ rights the only availing check upon the absolutism of the sovereign will, and secession filled me with hope, not as the destruction but as the redemption of Democracy…Therefore I deemed that you were fighting the battles of our liberty, our progress, and our civilization, and I mourn for the stake which was lost at Richmond more deeply than I rejoice over that which was saved at Waterloo.”

Old 02-21-2013, 01:52 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,903,542 times
Let me know when they poll higher than 3%.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:23 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepsis View Post
hey, I don't have a problem with welfare, I have a problem with backward red states that talk about their superior economics and politics while being subsidized by us pinko commoes.
You're right.

For me, what has become the #1 identifying feature of the right wingies is that while one side of their mouth is talking about how welfare recipients are lazy bums and how welfare needs to be done away with, the other side of their mouth is saying, "where's my welfare check?" These people need a shrink big time.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:34 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,209,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepsis View Post
hey, I don't have a problem with welfare, I have a problem with backward red states that talk about their superior economics and politics while being subsidized by us pinko commoes.
You mean like these economics and politics?

U.S.-European Union trade pact could add billions to Texas... | www.statesman.com
Quote:
American-Statesman Staff
Texas exported more than $29 billion of goods and services to the European Union last year, but an economic projection released Wednesday suggests that figure could shoot significantly higher if U.S. and E.U. officials can hammer out a long-sought free-trade agreement.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:39 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Keep telling yourself that.

Meanwhile, us Texans will continue to enjoy our prosperity, sunshine, diverse culture, and affordable housing - oh, and of course Lyle Lovett, Willie Nelson, and corner taquerias.

Frankly my dear, we don't give a damn what you think about Texas.
All those photos! It's a tour through Texas. Or wait - is that Florida??? Let me compare it to Florida.

Street party/parade - check
Swamp - check
Construction site - check
Arthur Murray - check
Big fan hands at a stadium - check
Heavy drinking - check
Kitsch "quinceañera" celebration - check
Redneck shoe store - check
Less-than-redneck shoe store - check
Buncha evangelicals outdoors playing guitar - check

By the way, I'm only yanking your chain.

[/quote]

Old 02-21-2013, 07:45 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,209,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Except that every military installation in the country is the irreplaceable foundation for the economy of the community where it's located. Tens of thousands of Texas jobs would disappear overnight if the bases pulled out.

Ask anyone who lives near a former military base. It's devastating.

Your argument is bogus/ignorant.
Yeah, like Bergstrom AFB closed and is now Austin's major airport. And right next to it is a new F1 Grand Prix race track... Formula 1® - The Official F1® Website

Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,339,914 times
I think plenty of corporations would move to Texas.

Corporations would bare no burden of paying for infrastructure or taxes. They would make the workers pay taxes to give to corporations as "incentives".

What's not to like?

Old 02-21-2013, 09:17 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,918,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Let me know when they poll higher than 3%.

18% is quite a bit higher than 3%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies