Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 03:10 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,419 times

Advertisements

Hey in my defense I am old and slow so 10 seconds is a good time for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 04:30 PM

57,238 posts, read 26,182,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post

No they won't stop mass shootings but they will reduce them, is this the old tiresome argument that only 100% effective legislation should be passed.

Go back and listen to the segment again,

Old 02-14-2013, 01:23 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,746 times
Default Joe Biden admits gun control will not stop mass shootings.

Caught on Camera: Joe Biden admits gun control will not stop mass shootings or save lives - YouTube

Old 02-14-2013, 01:37 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,445,460 times
I'll post the quotes from the videos:

The first part:
"Nothing we are going to do is fundamentally going to alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that we will bring gun deaths down to a thousand a year from, from what it is now. There is no law or set of laws that can prevent every senseless act of violence completely."
Here's what Biden said at the end from the clip:
We have a moral obligation -- a moral obligation to do everything in our power to diminish the prospect that something like this could happen again.

He's correct on both accounts. An AWB and high capacity magazine ban will not eliminate the risk of future mass shootings, or drop the gun death rate from 10,000+ to 1,000... and I don't know one person who believes it will. However, they can reduce the frequency of mass shootings as well as the body count of a mass shooting... which relates to his second quote about diminishing the prospect.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:41 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,944,326 times
Since laws outlawing murders don't stop murders, this is no shock. That doesn't mean we aren't better off with laws outlawing murder.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:46 PM

455 posts, read 898,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post

The first part:
"Nothing we are going to do is fundamentally going to alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that we will bring gun deaths down to a thousand a year from, from what it is now. There is no law or set of laws that can prevent every senseless act of violence completely."
We have a moral obligation -- a moral obligation to do everything in our power to diminish the prospect that something like this could happen again.

He's correct on both accounts. An AWB and high capacity magazine ban will not eliminate the risk of future mass shootings, or drop the gun death rate from 10,000+ to 1,000... and I don't know one person who believes it will. However, they can reduce the frequency of mass shootings as well as the body count of a mass shooting... which relates to his second quote about diminishing the prospect.
Still doesn't explain why they're going after assault weapons and high capacity magazines when the frequency of mass shootings and the body counts during such events don't even hold a spotlight to handgun deaths, in both respects.
Assault rifles and high-capacity magazines are being focused on because it's low hanging fruit right now, not because the left suddenly wants to save lives. If they did, they'd be going after handguns. But since they know the only way they can get anything done is to manipulate the public's emotional state into achieving their agenda, they have to resort to BS like this.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:49 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,746 times
Can anyone honestly explain how keeping responsible law abiding people from purchasing semi-auto firearms, (misnamed as assault weapons), and magazines is going to stop criminals and the mentally ill from misusing the firearms.

Statistics / facts not emotional responses only please.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:03 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,453,158 times
^ ^ Why, you got a better solution, or should we just remain "unemotional" about the problem?

Since 1980, 297 People Have Been Killed in School Shootings

... and that was in December, not counting the 3 shootings since Sandy Hook!
BTW, my own sense is that the irresponsible fanaticism and psychopathic lack of basic human empathy by so many of the gun "enthusiasts" has actually been responsible for the problem.

They're obviously hyper "emotional" about restrictions on their toys, but feelings for our slaughtered kids, not so much....

Last edited by mateo45; 02-14-2013 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: link..

Old 02-14-2013, 02:06 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,706,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post

The first part:

Ok, let's employ some logic here. Let's assume that scary black rifles and high capacity magazines are banned. What is going to stop the next nutjob from carrying 10 7-round magazines and hotswapping them instead of carrying 2 high capacity magazines? An AWB and/or high capacity magazine ban isn't going to do diddly to reduce the instances of mass shootings, nor will it reduce the casualties resulting from a mass shooting. If you actually think it will do either, you're drinking too much kool-aid.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:10 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,706,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
^ ^ Why, you got a better solution, or should we just remain "unemotional" about the problem?

Since 1980, 297 People Have Been Killed in School Shootings

... and that was in December, not counting the 3 shootings since Sandy Hook!
Out of curiosity, have you compared the average number of school shootings per year before the Gun Free Zone law was passed with the number of school shootings since the passage of that law? Just to give you a hint, the average doubled after the Gun Free Zone law was passed. Still want to tell us how well gun control works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
BTW, my own sense is that the irresponsible fanaticism and psychopathic lack of basic human empathy by so many of the gun "enthusiasts" has actually been responsible for the problem.

They're obviously hyper "emotional" about restrictions on their toys, but feelings for our slaughtered kids, not so much....
So, now you're blaming people who exercise their right to defend themselves for the actions of people who commit crime. Didn't take too long for you to fall off the logic plateau, did it?

Having empathy and/or sympathy for the victims of crime doesn't equate to allowing a basic constitutionally protected right to be infringed upon. Especially when the proposed infringement on that right will have little to no effect on the crimes that it is supposed to prevent. It amazes me that after hearing Biden himself discuss how ineffective this legislation would be you are still pushing for it to be enacted.

In the perfect world, we wouldn't need firearms for safety. Unfortunately, as has been shown countless times over the course of history, we don't live in the perfect world. There are people out there who don't have empathy or sympathy for others, and who are willing and sometimes eager to harm others in furtherance of their own desires, whether that desire is to take something that isn't theirs or to get their names in the history books by committing atrocities. Until that basic facet of human behavior changes, I'll keep my firearms, thank you very much.

Last edited by JimRom; 02-14-2013 at 02:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies