Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 08:46 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times

Advertisements

Single mothers that didn't plan on being single mothers usually are very hard working with really not a lot of extra time on their hands.

Older single mothers that chose to have children alone usually were financially stable beforehand and planned how they would handle having children alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 09:03 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Neither...how about human.

Do you realize that single mothers also include widows? Women who were married but experienced divorced. Why not worry about what you are doing to make the world a better place?

Old 02-14-2013, 09:06 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Gosh; the truth usually likes somewhere in between the two extremes. I'm a single mother and work in corporate America; therefore, all the other single mothers I know are through work and gainfully employed. One of my co-workers has three children; her husband died. She works like a DOG. Working hard here; volunteering at school for her youngest; planning for college for her middle and paying for college for her oldest. She is highly organized and has my utmost respect. There are days I can see her exhaustion and stress from carrying the entire load; making every decision; cooking all the meals; doing all the driving; laundry; cleaning . . . . I don't know how she does it. Another is a pharmacist and divorced; trying to swing her odd working hours with making sure she raises a good student plus they also travel every night for swim practice.

I have one child, now a Senior in HS and in the process of choosing a college. He's a swimmer and will swim in college IF that's what he decides. I just had ONE and it was exhausting if you want to do a good job. Tons of travel year-round for the swimming; school functions; after-school activities; demanding job, etc. There was little time for dating or anything else

I feel like I have done a good job; I made a mistake and made the best of it. I'm so proud of my son; he has accomplished more in high school than I ever even thought about. I don't think that happened by accident either!

But, I too, see those mothers on TV with more than one child with more than one father and a minimum wage job - if any - and I wonder how in the world they and their children are going to make something of their lives. If I, with a good job, could barely do it with one . . . .

Again, we run the gamut, good, bad, and somewhere in between.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:12 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times
A single mother who got there by the death or divorce of a husband, and who works rather than accepts welfare, is a hero.

A single mother who cannot afford the baby herself, or who chose to have a baby with no man to help support it, is pathetic.

And someone who has more than one kid without plenty of money and family support is bordering on criminal.

A child is a LUXURY purchase, and one that society does not need more of. People with children are subsidized far too much via education, insurance, society, and even the business world.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:25 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
There are all kinds of single mothers. Some do a wonderful job and some don't just like married mothers. I do think it is stressful when money is real tight tho, but then again it is with married couples with children also.

All of the single mothers that I know did a great job with their children. My daughters friend had twins at 18 and divorced right after the twins were born. In the early years he didn't help support them at all. They are getting ready to go to college next year and one will have a free ride scholarship because of grades and sports.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:29 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think, it all depends. There are single mothers exactly as you described: hard-working women doing the best they can to get by and give their kids a good life, attentive and caring.
And there are single mothers that have 6 kids with 6 different men, that do not care about their kids, do not work and live from the government handouts.
Exactly.

Some single mothers make a career out of it. Those would be the sloths.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:53 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,073,562 times
It is funny that both of the professed "liberal" posters on here have said that every single mom is great and wonderful (which fits in with the liberal agenda of wanting as many broken families as possible)

The rest of us are much more honest and truthful and see that there mare many terrible single moms out there who have no business breeding. There are also good ones too

There is not one brush to use here

Old 02-14-2013, 10:13 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
It is funny that both of the professed "liberal" posters on here have said that every single mom is great and wonderful (which fits in with the liberal agenda of wanting as many broken families as possible)

The rest of us are much more honest and truthful and see that there mare many terrible single moms out there who have no business breeding. There are also good ones too

There is not one brush to use here

I would say the ones that have several kids from several different baby daddies aren't very responsible. Not only do they not have respect for themselves, but they are doing a huge disservice to their kids.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:24 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
It seems to me that in the City-Data world, single mothers are vilified. They are viewed as gold-diggers who at one point set out to marry a rich man with intentions of shortly after divorcing him and take his money.

Yet in the real world, society generally views single mothers as hard-working women doing the best they can to get by and give their kids a good life. Most people i see out and about have respect for single mothers, or if not respect, at least indifference. Few people have negative or harsh judgment toward single mothers.

So which view of single mothers is realistic, and which is warped?
Your thread is either incomplete in it's presentation or idiotic.

1. There are single dads, as well as single moms.

2. Single parents could have been widowed, divorced, separated, or not married prior to or during the pregnancy birth. I became a single dad after 7 years of marriage. I know of a single dad, who's girlfriend died as a result of an auto accident a couple of weeks before the due date.

3. I don't care one way or the other, with the SOLE EXCEPTION of baby makers with no income other than welfare, refuse to work, and believe that the world owes them and their brood a living.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:26 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,192,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
A single mother who cannot afford the baby herself, or who chose to have a baby with no man to help support it, is pathetic.
You realize that sometimes women do not get pregnant on purpose, or that sometimes bad things happen to hardworking people? If they step up to the plate & do what they have to in order to keep & care for their child, how is that pathetic?

Quote:
People with children are subsidized far too much via education, insurance, society, and even the business world.
Yes, & this is because children should not be punished just because their families are poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies