Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 11:46 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,651 times

Advertisements

1. Executive Action on Climate Change. If congress won't act on climate change...he will. The scientific community consensus is remarkably evident. I won't profess to being versed in environmental science, but I consider the experts in the field the authority.

2. Investing in infrastrucure. $1.44 of economic activity generated from every $1 spent...sounds good.

3.Universal Pre School (Federal dollars to match state dollars for all 4 year olds who attend while being means tested up to 200% of the poverty level.)

4. A Pathway to citizenship. (Increases income and subsequently consumer spending.

5. A liveable wage. (Record corporate profits...stagnant wages...I think we are all in accord that the corporations aren't hurting for money right now.)

6. Enhancing Gun Safety (A universal background check in no way infringes on your ability to own a firearm.)

Progress Reports - ThinkProgress
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
I am excited about all these proposals. It really made me excited when he talked about infrastructure because I have wanted to see all our failing bridges be repaired or replaced and that alone would would millions to work across our country.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am excited about all these proposals. It really made me excited when he talked about infrastructure because I have wanted to see all our failing bridges be repaired or replaced and that alone would would millions to work across our country.
Yeah, I am too. To be honest, I'm never a fan of executive orders (even if I agree with the end goal of working on climate change) but I suppose there isn't a lot we can do to change it. Infrastructure investment, comprehensive immigration reform, and preschool aide are great ideas. I'm excited to see if any comes to fruition.

The upcoming debates will be nasty...but worth it in the end I believe.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:16 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
If we can upgrade our infrastructure to compete at the 21st Century level, that will be a major improvement in our country. Also anything that aides parents with educating their children at a younger age is always good.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:25 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
I suspect the earlier pre-school is also intended to indirectly provide more childcare for working moms too... clever!

Would personally like to see more emphasis on worker re-training for more "21st century" kinda jobs.

BTW, Obama's immigration reform proposals are really gonna put the GOP in an "interesting" position!

Old 02-14-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
I suspect the earlier pre-school is also intended to indirectly provide more childcare for working moms too... clever!

Would personally like to see more emphasis on worker re-training for more "21st century" kinda jobs.

BTW, Obama's immigration reform proposals are really gonna put the GOP in an "interesting" position!
The GOP's immigration position will be interesting to watch in the coming years. They are clearly trying to pander to the Latino community with their token Hispanic guy giving the SOTU GOP response. The GOP is going to have to accept that "self-deportation" isn't a humane or plausible response...something has to be done with immigration and fortunately for the Latino community the GOP basically received a mandate in the 2012 elections. We now have to see if those with softer immigration plans (Rubio) can beat out the morons (Santorum/Bachmann/almost everyone else) in the primaries. My guess is no...but only time will tell.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:37 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,802,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post

Yeah, pity none of that happened under the "stimulus."

Old 02-14-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Yeah, pity none of that happened under the "stimulus."
Three of the most substantial economic indicators (GDP, Payroll employment, Layoffs) all trended in the right direction at EXACTLY the same time the stimulus money began coursing through the economy. It is becoming increasingly common for members of the "Right" to engage in historical revisionism to bolster your inaccuracies.

Review the charts.

http://www.americanprogress.org/wp-c...deo_charts.pdf

Old 02-14-2013, 02:55 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
"but I consider the experts in the field the authority"

Keep in mind any side of an issue can find " experts in the field" to support which ever side they favor.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:59 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Yeah, I am too. To be honest, I'm never a fan of executive orders (even if I agree with the end goal of working on climate change) but I suppose there isn't a lot we can do to change it. Infrastructure investment, comprehensive immigration reform, and preschool aide are great ideas. I'm excited to see if any comes to fruition.

The upcoming debates will be nasty...but worth it in the end I believe.
Hopefully none of his ideas will come to fruition.

1. The President should never use executive orders to go around congress. Not ever. Period. Doesn't matter if the cause is good. The ends do not justify the means. Once we accept the precedent of the President doing that, then future Presidents can keep doing it.

2. Investing in infrastructure on a massive scale is a poor idea during hard economic times. If we were flush with cash then sure go ahead. Not when it's going to add unnecessary billions to the mounting debt. We will be paying interest on that "investment" for decades.

3. It's one step away from providing universal pre-school to requiring it. The government just proved that with health insurance. Their solution to providing health insurance to people who didn't have it was an individual mandate requiring people who didn't want it to buy it anyway. That's not a free country.

4. There should be no pathway to citizenship prior to the border being closed. First things first. When the border is secure, then we can provide a pathway to citizenship. A welfare state is incompatible with open borders.

5. A certain minimal minimum wage doesn't do a whole lot of damage but mandating a "livable" wage is disaster. There is no such thing. What is a livable wage today will not be a livable wage tomorrow. Prices rise. Also, more people are employed by small business than by giant corporations. Making up universal mandates that will apply to hundreds of thousands of small businesses based on the profits of a few giant corporations is the height of stupidity and will have disastrous unintended consequences.

6. Gun control is a slippery slope. This is proven by the actions being taken around the nation right now to confiscate weapons. The 2nd amendment doesn't list the ways that gun ownership can be restricted. It says that it should not be restricted. We should respect that wherever possible. I don't have a problem with background checks themselves, but I have problems with opening up a can of worms.

Or if you're liberal you can no doubt just sum up all my objections by saying "he just hates Obama because he's black"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies