U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-23-2007, 05:41 PM
 
7,380 posts, read 6,715,808 times
Reputation: 1252

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The correct question is, how many of us have Senator fathers who can get us into Ivy Leagues based on legacy placement?


Do you HONESTLY think George Dubya got where he is today on "hard work"?! (It'd be interesting to see his SAT scores were). That without his famous last name and political family he would have been in the same place? REALLY?


EDIT: I found Dubya's SAT scores: 566 verbal and 640 math.

I always figured he would have scored better on math, and a 1206 isn't a *bad* score, I guess... but it sure as hell aint Harvard OR Yale worthy!
I wonder how many more can claim such an accomplishment. Unless you have evidence of him cheating to get his degrees, I suggest you hold off on your claims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-23-2007, 05:56 PM
 
17,297 posts, read 25,660,037 times
Reputation: 8567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I wonder how many more can claim such an accomplishment. Unless you have evidence of him cheating to get his degrees, I suggest you hold off on your claims.

You know, you're absolutely right. Not many can claim the "accomplishment" of getting a 1206 SAT score and STILL "getting into" Yale and Harvard. These days, probably nobody can. Heck, I know someone who had an A average at Harvard undergrad and STILL couldn't "get in" to Harvard Medical school!

But you're right. It must be some sort of adversity he overcame that made admissions give his sub-par grades and scores a second look. A rough upbringing. Success n the face of poverty...that sort of thing.





Just because he didn't "flunk out" of somewhere he would never have gotten into had he been born in a log cabin in Nebraska to a no-name father doesn't mean he deserves respect for having those degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2007, 06:51 PM
 
7,380 posts, read 6,715,808 times
Reputation: 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
You know, you're absolutely right. Not many can claim the "accomplishment" of getting a 1206 SAT score and STILL "getting into" Yale and Harvard. These days, probably nobody can. Heck, I know someone who had an A average at Harvard undergrad and STILL couldn't "get in" to Harvard Medical school!

But you're right. It must be some sort of adversity he overcame that made admissions give his sub-par grades and scores a second look. A rough upbringing. Success n the face of poverty...that sort of thing.





Just because he didn't "flunk out" of somewhere he would never have gotten into had he been born in a log cabin in Nebraska to a no-name father doesn't mean he deserves respect for having those degrees.
No matter how he got in, again you have no proof of any favoritism, receiving two prestigious degrees is no small task. Suggesting that it is can be quite insulting to others who have the same degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2007, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,500 posts, read 20,859,246 times
Reputation: 13794
Say what you will about Bush's lack of academic distinction. At least he's no Ted Kennedy:

Ted Kennedy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"He [Kennedy] was expelled from Harvard in May 1951 after he was caught cheating on an ethics examination."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2007, 07:09 PM
 
2,967 posts, read 1,755,852 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Say what you will about Bush's lack of academic distinction. At least he's no Ted Kennedy:

Ted Kennedy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"He [Kennedy] was expelled from Harvard in May 1951 after he was caught cheating on an ethics examination."
How surprising.

Well, at least he's stayed true to form through the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2007, 06:50 AM
PPG
 
508 posts, read 1,317,735 times
Reputation: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
How many of you have a Bachelor's Degree from Yale and a MBA from Harvard?
C'mon, everybody knows of a dummy who has a good position because of who he is. Why is this so hard for you to accept? You do know his dad and his grandfather had serious power don't you?

If Bush is as smart as you say he is, let him represent you in a game of Jeopardy. Maybe the college edition.

Let him represent you in a spelling bee. A 6th grade spelling bee.

Let him prepare your speeches for you.

Let him be your security guard and tell him that your house, wife and kids are under attack.

Btw, when asked questions, bush has said the word "uh" 942 times over the last 7 years. You should let him be your banker and ask him what happened to your account. I'm pretty sure that "uh-uh" would not be an acceptable answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2007, 06:56 AM
 
7,380 posts, read 6,715,808 times
Reputation: 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPG View Post
C'mon, everybody knows of a dummy who has a good position because of who he is. Why is this so hard for you to accept? You do know his dad and his grandfather had serious power don't you?

If Bush is as smart as you say he is, let him represent you in a game of Jeopardy. Maybe the college edition.

Let him represent you in a spelling bee. A 6th grade spelling bee.

Let him prepare your speeches for you.

Let him be your security guard and tell him that your house, wife and kids are under attack.

Btw, when asked questions, bush has said the word "uh" 942 times over the last 7 years. You should let him be your banker and ask him what happened to your account. I'm pretty sure that "uh-uh" would not be an acceptable answer.
Those who vote for a candidate because of the number of times he says "uh", seem to look at the Presidency with a simplistic view. Personally, I'd rather have a President who rules by conviction and leadership and uses the word "uh", than one who is only an eloquent speaker.
Again, when one suggests that one can receive two degrees from two prestigious universities without any effort diminishes the accomplishments of the other graduates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:28 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top