Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:31 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
I don't ban my students from using biased news sources, but I tell them up front that they shouldn't use Fox News or MSNBC in current events discussions unless they want to look foolish in front of their classmates by using misrepresented facts.

I allow neither of those stations in my classroom when I'm instructing my students about the news. I have a rather small list of acceptable news sources that I cite in my classroom.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:33 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
I can still cite Jon Stewart as a news source, right?

Old 02-16-2013, 08:42 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Really?

The below Democrats/liberals regularly on Fox News are right-wing propagandists?

- Juan Williams
- Susan Estrich
- Harold Ford Jr.
- Alan Colmes
- Lis Wiehl
- Bob Beckel
- Ellen Ratner
- Ellis Henican
- Mara Liasson
- Mort Kondracke
- Pat Caddell
- Kristen Powers
- Leslie Marshall
- Marc Lamont Hill
You forgot these liberals and/or democrats - Dennis Kusinich, Sally Kohn, Alan Colmes, Shep Smith, and Greta Van Sustren

Old 02-16-2013, 12:06 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
You all scoff and poo poo this professor for doing this, but she is preparing kids for the real world. In this class, she is in charge.

I don't like the prof's instructions either, but it's her class. In the real world, most will have a boss much less reasonable than her.

Especially if she becomes a teacher.

What does this professor know about the real world?

She's hiding out in liberal acedemia so she can browbeat 19 and 20 year old who disagree with her politcial views.

This woman is pathetic.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:24 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I don't ban my students from using biased news sources, but I tell them up front that they shouldn't use Fox News or MSNBC in current events discussions unless they want to look foolish in front of their classmates by using misrepresented facts.

I allow neither of those stations in my classroom when I'm instructing my students about the news. I have a rather small list of acceptable news sources that I cite in my classroom.
Have you just said that only members of the MSM provide real, true words about the news? Do you ever hear Fox News from 8:00 am to 5:00? I thought not but then you are a good Media Matters supporter and believe what they tell you, don't you? Come on, if you allow CNN and not Fox you are seriously censoring what your kids can report from.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:32 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,140 times
There was no need to specifically go after Fox News like she did in her syllabus. Plus, college students in a political science class shouldn't be using new sources as a significant source of reference.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:20 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
You listed 14 no-name, paid shills that fox uses to pretend to be "fair and balanced" I provided 10, household name real right wing hacks because MSNBC actually has legitimate (if you want to call them that) trolls from the right on their network.

Though to make you feel better, here's a few more.

Tucker Carlson (now at fox)
Don Imus (now at fox)
Monica Crowley (now at fox)
Dylan Ratigan

Epic fail
"Now at Fox." I wonder why? Not leftist enough?
For you, more like epic fail to admit the truth! Geraldo and Alan Colmes, among others, are "no-name?" And what do you base your claim that they are paid shrills? I have seen the ones I listed both agree and disagree with Republicans and conservatives on different issues.

Since Fox News is being compared with MSNBC, I will once again post these stats:

2008 Presidential Election Coverage

MSNBC

73% of McCain stories were negative
14% of Obama stories were negative

Fox News

40% of McCain stories were negative
40% of Obama stories were negative

(Source: Project for Excellence in Journalism, Oct. 29, 2008)

Or, more recent:

From the Pew Research:

2012 Presidential Election Coverage

MSNBC... 71% of Romney coverage was negative
Fox News. 45% of Romney coverage was negative

Now, which is truly the more "propaganda" news station?

Your claim of "no Democratic show on Fox News."... epic fail+!

Old 02-16-2013, 03:24 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times
Fox is so deceptive that you shouldn't trust their reporting on anything that you can't find an independent source for.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:28 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You forgot these liberals and/or democrats - Dennis Kusinich, Sally Kohn, Alan Colmes, Shep Smith, and Greta Van Sustren
Lol... you must have your head so far up Ailes'... to think that Shep or Greta are Dems.

The only reason you think that is b/c they've strayed from Republican talking points a few times. Republicans are becoming more and more of a cult than a political party.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:36 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Fox is so deceptive that you shouldn't trust their reporting on anything that you can't find an independent source for.
That applies more to MSNBC than it does to Fox News.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies