Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support legalization and/or decriminalization in your state?
Yes for all 27 51.92%
Yes for marijuana and "soft" drugs 20 38.46%
No 5 9.62%
Undecided 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 01:34 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times

Advertisements

::For the sake of this thread, let's assume that the people actually had control of their country. No political parties, but causes that were shared::

For nearly a century America has been "at war" with drugs. The government has spent hundreds of billions of dollars on it, and there have been many casualties. Despite being a very populous country and having widespread "safe" areas to live in, there are some neighborhoods where the murder rates are so high that they raise our overall country's rate to amongst the highest in the world. For a developed country, we shouldn't be having such a high murder rate, even if its contained to a small number of neighborhoods.

There's growing evidence and philosophy that through legalization and decriminalization, we can improve our addiction issues and still raise revenues through its enforcement. By allowing the plant to be taxed, the money flows into our budget instead of into the hands of cartels and gangs. By allowing the plant to be legalized and normalized, it can be prescribed instead of some synthetic medications that often have more serious side effects.

The arguments for legalization are strong and support for legalization and taxation is at it's highest in history since the War on Drugs has been declared.

Do you support legalization and decriminalization laws within your state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 01:49 PM

799 posts, read 1,094,370 times
Most definitely, I think they should legalize everything from weed to heroin, but they won't.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:55 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,755,430 times
Yes to everything.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:06 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,457,862 times
I imagine that would just be a shot to the heart for all those policeman and women who have been fighting for years to get it off the street.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:12 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
I think the Dutch had the right idea: legalize 'natural' substances (ones that come from plants with minimal post-processing, such as cannabis and mushrooms) and forbid synthetic ones like cocaine and methamphetamine.

But then they realized that Amsterdam in particular had become a mecca for drug tourists who didn't know what they were doing; first they banned "smart shops" where mushrooms were sold, then they made "coffee shops" (which sell cannabis products) off-limits to non-residents.

Would legalizing relatively innocuous substances like pot and mushrooms reduce the temptation for people to use seriously damaging ones like meth? I don't have any answers, but it's worth a try.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:12 PM

If there's enough support in this thread I'll look into how to get some ballot initiatives started. I truly believe that if it came up in a vote, it could get enough support to be pushed through.

You'd have your alcohol/tobbacco/pharma lobbyist pissed, but it would be great for this country and great for the economy. There's tons of things that hemp can be used for from clothing and rope, to paper and oil. There's also a chance there could be less deaths due to prescription drugs if marijuana was cultivated and prescribed rather than synthetics. Marijuana has never been known to be the direct cause of death in a person. Prescription meds kill hundreds and thousands of Americans every year.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:18 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Marijuana has never been known to be the direct cause of death in a person.
The same cannot be said for meth, heroin, etc., which are truly dangerous and addictive substances (and yes, I know nicotine is too, but the damage -- though more widespread -- takes much longer). I would vote, and in fact have voted, 'yes' to legalizing cannabis, but having seen the enormous damage that crystal meth in particular has done to certain communities, I would absolutely not support legalizing it.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:19 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
If there's enough support in this thread I'll look into how to get some ballot initiatives started. I truly believe that if it came up in a vote, it could get enough support to be pushed through.

You'd have your alcohol/tobbacco/pharma lobbyist pissed, but it would be great for this country and great for the economy. There's tons of things that hemp can be used for from clothing and rope, to paper and oil. There's also a chance there could be less deaths due to prescription drugs if marijuana was cultivated and prescribed rather than synthetics. Marijuana has never been known to be the direct cause of death in a person. Prescription meds kill hundreds and thousands of Americans every year.

Oh well! Screw 'em! And I smoke and drink! Let's not forget Big Pharma as well. Oh... and the Prison Industrial Complex! The only thing I'd be leary about is meth! Some dangerous stuff not only to the user, but the producer as well.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I think the Dutch had the right idea: legalize 'natural' substances (ones that come from plants with minimal post-processing, such as cannabis and mushrooms) and forbid synthetic ones like cocaine and methamphetamine.

But then they realized that Amsterdam in particular had become a mecca for drug tourists who didn't know what they were doing; first they banned "smart shops" where mushrooms were sold, then they made "coffee shops" (which sell cannabis products) off-limits to non-residents.

Would legalizing relatively innocuous substances like pot and mushrooms reduce the temptation for people to use seriously damaging ones like meth? I don't have any answers, but it's worth a try.
You raise a very good point.

I haven't thought about it much, but from my experience, I would be pretty confident that it would. Indirectly it definitely would. The availability of legal drugs would make them much more accessible than illegal drugs. Even more so in a culture where there's less reasons citizens need a "drug dealer."

There's definitely a lot, probably at least 30x times more marijuana users than meth users. That would drastically cut the funding of a "future" drug dealer. Enough that it wouldn't really be a highly profitable business. They'd have more incentive to work a regular 9-5 than sell meth to addicts for minimum wage.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:21 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
I imagine that would just be a shot to the heart for all those policeman and women who have been fighting for years to get it off the street.

Well perhaps they will then have the time then to go after the REAL criminals... murderers, rapists, pedophiles...ect...ect...................some of the scumbag banksters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies