Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 05:49 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Look Junior ... save the BS for someone else .... three beers are easy to drink in an hour ... you never have had three beers with a damned pizza before? And after that, one beer per hour pushes your levels higher because your body can only metabolize .5 oz of alcohol per hour. Three beers in hour one, and 2 beers in hour two, one beer in hour 3, and you are now that terrible person that is TWICE THE LEGAL LIMIT, and you can sip water for the next 3 hours, and you're still going to jail. All for a 6 pack of beer, in 6 hours.

I can drink a six pack in 3 hours and drive better than you ever have in your life.

So GROW UP.
Three beers are definitely easy to drink in an hour. However if you have 3 beers in an hour as a 160 pound male you won't be anywhere near a .08. In order to get to a .08 off of three beers you would have funnel them or drink them similarly quickly. If you drank 3 beers over an hour it would be more like a .05 BAC. If you don't believe this sign up for whats called a "controlled drinking" and you can see exactly what it takes to get up to a .08 w/professionals operating intoxicalizers. They are actually quite fun.

Blood Alcohol Content Calculator - The Police Notebook

Furthermore while I have pounded em back many times I have never driven while doing so. If I am going to drink I get a designated driver, take the bus or bring my toothbrush to the party. I know I cannot drive effectively after drinking 3 large beers or mixed drinks in <1 hour even though it is probably lower then .08.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 05:51 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I don't typically do this, but I agree with GuyNTexas almost 100%.

Come on people. If two kids and their father were pushing their car down the side of a freeway in the middle of the day the likely reaction would be, "what are those idiots doing? They're going to get killed."

The conditions described in this story seem even worse.

The alcohol almost certainly played a role.
The circumstances certainly played a role as well.
Agreed, but this doesn't change the fact that he was intoxicated, so... all the other factors are secondary because we can not establish if a normal person would have seen or reacted differently because the person who hit them was intoxicated. It may have been that no reasonable person could have seen and stopped in time, but... he was drinking and it is a fact that intoxicated people are less attentive and slower in reaction than the average sober person.

So while I understand and agree to an extent with the arguments made concerning this, it is not a defense.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:51 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
They should understand why he flipped and did this...... ITS VERY SAD.

STUPID DRUNK SCUMBAGS!!
Barajas should understand why he did what he did.

Read above - he admits that he remembers nothing but going to help his children.

Except, that is not what he did - it is what he should have done - getting medical attention for his children.

What he dd do was walk to his house, retrieve his weapon, return to the scene of the accident, and shoot the driver.

Guess what?

At that point he could not have known that Banda was intoxicated - for all Barajas knew - the man could have experienced a brake malfunction.

You can sit here smugly in hindsight, but the fact is there was zero justification for what Barajas did.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Agreed, but this doesn't change the fact that he was intoxicated, so... all the other factors are secondary because we can not establish if a normal person would have seen or reacted differently because the person who hit them was intoxicated. It may have been that no reasonable person could have seen and stopped in time, but... he was drinking and it is a fact that intoxicated people are less attentive and slower in reaction than the average sober person.

So while I understand and agree to an extent with the arguments made concerning this, it is not a defense.
I think that Barajas should have been admisnistered a toxicology test.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Ok, maybe I was not clear in what I meant. Alcohol is a depressant, its "mind altering" aspects are simply a "slowing" of synapses, not an alteration of process (ie as a hallucinogenic). You aren't seeing, hearing, or thinking "differently", only at a slower rate.
Sounds like many liberals.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:55 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Twice the limit (1.6) would mean at least 10 beers, so the driver must have been way too drunk to drive.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:56 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Look Junior ... save the BS for someone else .... three beers are easy to drink in an hour ... you never have had three beers with a damned pizza before? And after that, one beer per hour pushes your levels higher because your body can only metabolize .5 oz of alcohol per hour. Three beers in hour one, and 2 beers in hour two, one beer in hour 3, and you are now that terrible person that is TWICE THE LEGAL LIMIT, and you can sip water for the next 3 hours, and you're still going to jail. All for a 6 pack of beer, in 6 hours.

I can drink a six pack in 3 hours and drive better than you ever have in your life, and I was doing it 20 years before you were born.

So GROW UP.

Being a person who has done his share of drinking and knows his tolerances, I wouldn't argue with you. Thing is, each person has different tolerances. There are times when my tolerances were high in my past where I could drink a 6 pack in a couple of hours and be far more capable than someone who drank 3 beers in the same time. So, obviously, there is something wrong with the whole "one size fits all" law.

Question is, was this person a tolerant drinker or intolerant one? It is sad that we did not get to find out and the father too justice into his own hands. Only thing this situation tells me is, don't drink and drive, for even if you are in the right, even if you are not the cause, the system will not treat you any different.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
It really is mind boggling isn't it? What's really scary is if you should ever be accused of a crime ... you might want to think hard about a jury trial, unless you've got a crack defense team with jury selection experts.
It definitely is scary that some people on this forum might end up on a jury.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:57 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Murder in the 1st degree. He might get the needle. What he did was very stupid.
If he's unlucky he'll get 10 years. He'll probably only serve 5. My prediction. Murders are prosecuted differently depending on the motives and the circumstances.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:58 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,993 times
It's not the fact the guy hit his kids was a drunk driver. It's the fact the guy hit and killed his kids. Sometimes that pain and anguish can only be released one way otherwise it'd tear you to pieces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies