Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 04:56 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times

Advertisements

Four concussions per high school team per year. I would think that number would be higher. There are 1.1 million high school football players in the country playing at 14,000 schools who practice every day of the week barring Sunday mostly and play ten games during the year. You break that down and get four concussions in a season per school. One would think the numbers would be quite a bit higher. Not so "staggering" after all.

http://www.nfhs.org/WorkArea/linkit....751&libID=5773

Now you want to also add in undiagnosed concussions which could basically be anything. Hey coach I got a headache ban there's an undiagnosed concussion. Maybe the kid just doesn't want to run at the end of practice. lol

Lets see some real comparisons and stop going after football. Eva Lesko is a perfect example of somebody who shouldn't even be talking about this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 05:05 PM

Another question are concussions being over diagnosed in football due to the recent squealing about how evil it all is??

The five most commonly reported symptoms of concussion were:
  1. headache (94.3%)
  2. dizziness/unsteadiness (75.5%)
  3. difficulty concentrating (53.9%)
  4. confusion/disorientation (44%)
  5. visual disturbance/sensitivity to light (34.4%)

Old 02-18-2013, 05:09 PM

Forgot to add the link there above. This is from a study that actually shows some real numbers.

But, while the study found that concussions represent a higher proportion of all injuries sustained in boys' ice hockey than other sports, football had the highest rate of sport-related concussions per 100,000 AEs:
  • Boys' football: 76.8
  • Boys' ice hockey: 61.9
  • Boys' lacrosse: 46.6
  • Girls' soccer: 33.0
  • Girls' lacrosse: 31.0
  • Girls' field hockey: 24.9
  • Boys' wrestling: 23.9
  • Boys' basketball: 21.2
  • Boys' soccer: 19.2
  • Girls' basketball: 18.6
  • Girls' softball: 16.3
  • Cheerleading: 11.5
  • Girls' gymnastics: 8.6

Read more: Athletic Trainers, Doctors Assess, Manage Most Concussions in High School Sports | MomsTeam

Old 02-18-2013, 07:50 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,396 times
I don't get where all the political bickering earlier in this thread came from. The decision to allow your kid to play a rough contact sport has nothing to do with politics. It comes down to science and reason. As a parent it's your job to do the research on what can possibly happen to your child and what the liklihood of bad things happening is. Once you have this information it's then your call wether or not to let them play.

We're seeing more and more ex professional football and hockey players come clean with the things they have been suffering from linked to contact. From everything I've learned about it does not seem worth it to let my son play football or hockey. That's my choice and I have no desire to tell other parents what to do or shut down the sports.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:00 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
I don't get where all the political bickering earlier in this thread came from. The decision to allow your kid to play a rough contact sport has nothing to do with politics. It comes down to science and reason. As a parent it's your job to do the research on what can possibly happen to your child and what the liklihood of bad things happening is. Once you have this information it's then your call wether or not to let them play.

We're seeing more and more ex professional football and hockey players come clean with the things they have been suffering from linked to contact. From everything I've learned about it does not seem worth it to let my son play football or hockey. That's my choice and I have no desire to tell other parents what to do or shut down the sports.

With Obamacare and sports injuries, it has everything to do with politics. The government has the ability to ban any sport it wishes and has grounds to do so now. They pay for the injuries.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post

Professional football players have nothing to do with kids playing the sport. 1% of 1% of 1% will make it that far and they are paid handsomely to take the chance playing that long. I'm sure now they will be forced to sign some sort of waiver to continue after all the legal wrangling is taken care of.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
With Obamacare and sports injuries, it has everything to do with politics. The government has the ability to ban any sport it wishes and has grounds to do so now. They pay for the injuries.
Good point.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Professional football players have nothing to do with kids playing the sport. 1% of 1% of 1% will make it that far and they are paid handsomely to take the chance playing that long. I'm sure now they will be forced to sign some sort of waiver to continue after all the legal wrangling is taken care of.
But they all went through the system and sustained injury after injury.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:36 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post

Are you saying kids playing sports in high school can't get seriously hurt? Have you seen the size of some high school football players?

I graduated high school in 1995 and I distinctly remember that there were a handful of football players bench pressing 350 to 400 pounds.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:39 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
.cars are not an optional part of life.
I don't have a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies