Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 07:57 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I make well over 50k a year, I made nearly six figures last year, individually.

We shop at Walmart. In the south, there isn't much choice. I liked meijers when I was in Michigan, but they aren't down here. I don't like target. I buy groceries from several places. But if I need milk, or something quick and easy, Wally world is on the way home.

Again, Walmart will just have to adjust to the fact that poor folks aren't buying flat screens there anymore.
How many flat screens do people need anyways?
Once people have stuff, why do they need to buy more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 08:00 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Good question. I still have a 32 inch Polaroid flat screen that's over 10 years old.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:00 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
That's funny, I'm in the bottom 5% and I too shop at Walmart..
The difference being that I buy necessities there.....you probably by the newest, latest flat screen.....then buy chips and soda with your food stamps.

This is in fact what I witnessed there yesterday. A couple had a 60" TV, and then paid for their "groceries" with their "card".

Old 02-17-2013, 08:01 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Hey, hey...that's the type of attitude that causes people to stop and think. We can't have that....

Old 02-17-2013, 08:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Target reported an increase so your middle class shoppers are not as hurt as your low end shoppers.
And poor people usually don't have lots of extra money to buy crap at Walmart anyways.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:07 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Yes. When those cuts were put in place, the assumption was that wages would be up by the time the tax holiday was over. That didn't happen. So instead of the return to higher tax rates simply eating up some of the raises people got this year, it ate up core income people needed because there were no raises. Wages are not keeping pace with the minimal inflation we have. The return to higher tax rates on top of that is hurting the economy. In a better economy, we would not have blinked when the tax holiday was over. It was a bad move in this one.
Well, since WalMart is being portrayed as the victim here, is there any indication WalMart wages have kept pace with inflation?

Old 02-17-2013, 08:11 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,223,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Well...

If that money was better distributed it could mean that our wage troubles would be over!!

Do you know how much money that equates to?

Well the "redistribute the wealth" gang finally showed up.

If the total money supply of the United States were equally distributed today, chances are that in less than two decades the people who have money now would have it all then. Some people are entrepreneurs, and some are meant to work for someone else.

Some people have a go-getter attitude, and others sit around, beat on their drums, whine about their plight, and ask the government to cover their failures.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:11 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Well, since WalMart is being portrayed as the victim here, is there any indication WalMart wages have kept pace with inflation?
We are told that inflation is almost non existent.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:14 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Good question. I still have a 32 inch Polaroid flat screen that's over 10 years old.
I have an old flat screen too.

My point is most people in Walmart aren't buying big-ticket items. They buy groceries and necessities. They buy clothes and supplies for their kids in school.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:14 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The difference being that I buy necessities there.....you probably by the newest, latest flat screen.....then buy chips and soda with your food stamps.

This is in fact what I witnessed there yesterday. A couple had a 60" TV, and then paid for their "groceries" with their "card".
lol, you think I could scrape together the three hundred it would take to buy a flat screen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies