Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 12:18 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I get tired of the revisonist history when it comes to Kennedy. The guy wasn't President long enough to be considered "great". And the things he did do while in office weren't all that great. 1. Bothcing the Bay of Pigs, 2. Almost starting WW3/nuclear war with the soviets, 3. Getting us involved in Vietnam. And oh yeah, people always bring up Clintons sex scandals, go look up JFK sexcapades along with the rest of his scum bag family.
JFK was the reason, in my opinion Obama got elected. To so many, because of his age, a family man (or so we were told) and losing his life has made so many think he was great. Indeed, like you say, he was anything but great. So many people, especially young people have a false vision of him and thought they electing another JFK when the supported Obama. Look what we got or don't look, it isn't pretty!!!

Old 02-06-2014, 12:23 PM

5,724 posts, read 3,237,701 times
Reagan.
Trickle down economics worked better than the trickle up any day!

Old 02-06-2014, 01:17 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,786,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My thoughts exactly. I don't think he was a bad President, but holy cow, how could anyone put him the category of great? He has probably done more since leaving office. About the only really good thing he did was learn to work with the other side, just Like RR knew how to work with both sides. Clinton's personal life alone, has to be considered. No, I normally do not judge based on personal issues, but in his case, if even 1/2 of the allegations are true he is a slum bag at best.

Aedubbuer; it is a lot more than a simple blow job in the office; it is sexual harassment (did you forget about Paula Jones) just to mention one instance. We are not even talking about a guy who has sex kittens like JFK, we are talking serious allegations.
Not to take up for old slick willy, but do you really think that JFK didn't sexually harass women or even FDR for that manner or the majority of the presidents prior to Clinton when it was common for powerful men to sexually harass women?

The only difference between them and Clinton was that the media became more "shock" oriented about the personal lives of politicians, especially the president, after the whole Watergate thing.

In regards to the actual performance of his presidency, Clinton was much better than the current president, GW Bush, Bush Sr., and even Reagan IMO. He was better than them all back to Eisenhower in that he oversaw such an era of prosperity in our country economically and we were at peace, the cold war was over, etc.

Way too many people focus on the women when Clinton is not unique in this, you just don't know a lot about the others like you do Clinton. I would rather have him as president right now than Obama, who is for all accounts a very committed husband and father and FWIW I'm black and would rather have Clinton lol.

I wish Hillary was actually one of those ladies who lets their husband walk all over her (but I have a feeling she doesn't she seems to be about her own business) as I would vote for her just to have Bill back after all the mess that has occurred since Bill left office. We wouldn't have all these stalemates right now most especially with Bill at the helm and more would be getting done.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:21 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,529,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Reagan.
I love sarcasm.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:23 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,079,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post

Lets talk about it.

You're kidding, right?

Old 02-06-2014, 02:26 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,601,434 times
Lol. Reagan marks the exact moment our nation began circling the drain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Reagan.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:21 PM

21,422 posts, read 10,507,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
It's hard to fault Clinton on the trade policies. By far the biggest lobbyists and beneficiaries of NAFTA and the China trade were US corporations, i.e. Big Business, which donate to Republicans over Democrats by a factor of about 3-1.
1) That's not true. Both parties get donations from big business. and
2) Clinton was the president. He not only signed NAFTA into law and increased trade with China, he also fought very hard for those programs. Go to youtube and watch Al Gore and Ross Perot debate NAFTA. Perot was absolutely right in that debate, but the media treated like a bumpkin who was schooled by Al Gore. Al Gore was absolutely insufferable in that debate - a condescending d-bag who was absolutely wrong, as time has shown.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:34 PM

10,582 posts, read 9,765,067 times
Do you think Bill Clinton was the last great President the USA had?

No, he's about two presidents after the last great President the US had.

The good news is, with Obama in the Oval Office, Clinton is no longer the WORST president we've ever had.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:36 PM

24,492 posts, read 33,228,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Not to take up for old slick willy, but do you really think that JFK didn't sexually harass women or even FDR for that manner or the majority of the presidents prior to Clinton when it was common for powerful men to sexually harass women?

The only difference between them and Clinton was that the media became more "shock" oriented about the personal lives of politicians, especially the president, after the whole Watergate thing.
Clinton lied under oath about his affairs; no other president did that.

Quote:
In regards to the actual performance of his presidency, Clinton was much better than the current president, GW Bush, Bush Sr., and even Reagan IMO. He was better than them all back to Eisenhower in that he oversaw such an era of prosperity in our country economically and we were at peace, the cold war was over, etc.

Way too many people focus on the women when Clinton is not unique in this, you just don't know a lot about the others like you do Clinton. I would rather have him as president right now than Obama, who is for all accounts a very committed husband and father and FWIW I'm black and would rather have Clinton lol.

I wish Hillary was actually one of those ladies who lets their husband walk all over her (but I have a feeling she doesn't she seems to be about her own business) as I would vote for her just to have Bill back after all the mess that has occurred since Bill left office. We wouldn't have all these stalemates right now most especially with Bill at the helm and more would be getting done.
Clinton was too corrupt to be a "good" president.

Two other things keep him well away from being a "better than Reagan" president...
1. Supplying (at our cost) nuclear material to North Korea for "energy" purposes. Which, of course, N. Korea uses instead to build nuclear weapons.

2. Changing the way the CIA could obtain information. They could no longer obtain info from informants who had a felony record. This made the U.S. much less secure and made the 9/11 attacks much easier to complete.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:55 PM

108 posts, read 110,449 times
BJ was basically marking time after 1995. Pretty irrelevant frankly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.