Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Liberals Taking Tax Deductions: Hypocritical?
Yep. 47 58.02%
Nope. 34 41.98%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 05:16 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
No, you're twisting my words to suit your agenda. I am most definitely for limited government; NO Social Security, SSI, welfare, bloated military all over the world, corporate welfare, not offshore tax havens, no subsidies to oil cos and the like. I'd like to face the same tax burden as anyone else, but be treated equally under the law- live and let live, let me keep the $$ that I've earned.
The fact is liberals call for "the rich" to give up FAR more of their wealth and income than a liberal would be willing to hand over to the bureaucracy but the progressives never seem to want to pay the FULL tax bill at tax time.

If you feel America has a "revenue problem" then (if you are a liberal) don't take any deductions because you are depriving our precious government of its God given right to "revenue".

Conservatives have always said that if you've earned it then you get to keep it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 05:34 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
The fact is liberals call for "the rich" to give up FAR more of their wealth and income than a liberal would be willing to hand over to the bureaucracy but the progressives never seem to want to pay the FULL tax bill at tax time.

If you feel America has a "revenue problem" then (if you are a liberal) don't take any deductions because you are depriving our precious government of its God given right to "revenue".

Conservatives have always said that if you've earned it then you get to keep it.
Yeah, but under George W, Reagan, they said that "we could keep it" but just put the bills on a national debt credit card that we are stuck paying today. That's why it's hard to believe what the right wing says, in addition to the religious nutjobs that rule the party.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:37 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times
Quote:
No, you're twisting my words to suit your agenda. I am most definitely for limited government; NO Social Security, SSI, welfare, bloated military all over the world, corporate welfare, not offshore tax havens, no subsidies to oil cos and the like. I'd like to face the same tax burden as anyone else, but be treated equally under the law- live and let live, let me keep the $$ that I've earned.
Yep. I agree. Get rid of social security, medicare, welfare programs, and every other (just about) federally/state funded entitlement program.

Trim back the military, make corporations pay a higher tax rate, and lower mine.

Our tax dollar should go for our defense, public safety, fixing our roads and infrastructure and, like it or not, that is about it.

Education SHOULD NOT be paid for by taxes, nor should healthcare, childcare, etc. You had those kids, you pay for it. Don't pass the burden on to me. If you cannot afford children, don't have them. Its pretty simple.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:41 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,035,382 times
Of course they are. And not only should they not take any deductions, they should all write a check on top of it of extra money to give to the Government. You liberals think higher taxes is what we need? Then fork up. While you are it, boycott all the liberals in hollywood who still live like kings and queens. Are they paying their share if they can still live so beyond their means?

Old 02-19-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but under George W, Reagan, they said that "we could keep it" but just put the bills on a national debt credit card that we are stuck paying today. That's why it's hard to believe what the right wing says, in addition to the religious nutjobs that rule the party.
Reagan and Bush were only conservatives when campaigning. Pick another example.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:25 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
I'll bite.

Every liberal who takes a tax deduction is as much a hypocrite as any conservative who has ever gone to or sends their kids to public school.

See how that works?

Old 02-19-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I'll bite.

Every liberal who takes a tax deduction is as much a hypocrite as any conservative who has ever gone to or sends their kids to public school.

See how that works?
So conservatives who pay taxes for public schools are hypocrites for using those services?

Liberals who want the government to vacuum up as much taxpayer money as possible then go on to use tax deductions are not the same as public school using tax paying conservatives.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:06 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
So conservatives who pay taxes for public schools are hypocrites for using those services?
The amount of taxes the average conservative taxpayer pays is not sufficient to cover the cost of their child's share. ESPECIALLY if you have more than one child in the school system.

A child costs almost 11000/year in taxpayer money to educate. How many 3 kid familes pay 33000 in property taxes to cover the costs?

And forget about if a school bus is also used!

So yes, when you ask someone to socialize costs and pay taxes for things that benefit YOU while whining about the leachy underclasses taking yer monies.... you're being a hypocrite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10
Liberals who want the government to vacuum up as much taxpayer money as possible then go on to use tax deductions are not the same as public school using tax paying conservatives.

You're failing to make a connection:

"Vacuum up as much taxpayer money as possible" .... where POSSIBLE includes the reality that loopholes and deductions exist, and the government has to plan for that fact.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:33 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,425 times
Heavily Liberal California has over 650,000 millionaires (more than the entire population of Wyoming). It also has the highest number of American billionaires (nearly 1 in 4 of them live in CA). With that much wealth concentrated in the state, why has it struggled with its budget for so long? Shouldn't the wealth in that state make its government prosperous, rather than broke, unless these rich Democrats are doing everything they can to avoid paying CA's high tax rates?

Old 02-19-2013, 08:34 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
How do you figure? It looks to me like Buffett wanted to raise capital gains and dividend taxes, which comprise most of his personal income.

Don't listen to what he says, watch what he does. Words are cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies