Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 06:33 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,350,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
OH come on!!!!! I have listened to every single public utterance this woman has made since she was nominated VP. It's not her accent or her poor grammer that makes her an absolute disaster as a speaker. It's the fact she can not put together words in such a manner that those words mean anything. Did you ever listen to her "Blood libel" speech? Just freakin brutal. How about that one where she addresses the use of an atomic weapon? It's at a grade three level statement. We expect statements like that from our kids while they are learning how to put words together that express an idea they want to express but from a potential POTUS??????? She is a prime example of the dumbing down of America. Just freakin sad, she's nothing more than another lame reality show. How about Snooki for POTUS??? There are some who would think that is a good idea. Sarah is not one single little bit better.
So you consider her an idiot, but you have taken the time to listen to "every single public utterance this woman has made since she was nominated?" Wouldn't that be damn near a full time job?

I don't remember hearing a "blood libel" speech, but I did read her op-ed about it, IIRC in the WSJ. It was perfectly fine. Remember, she had been widely accused of having some complicity in the Tucson shooting. News stories, eds, op-eds, and lefty blogs all linked her to the shooting. Even liberal NYT columnist Charles Blow said that it was lunacy to try to link her to the shooting.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/15/opinion/15blow.html

Anyway I'll take your critique of Palin more seriously when you clean up your own diction, as in ("It's at a grade three level statement." Note that "level" is not an adjective). Plus you could learn to press enter and start a new paragraph now and then....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 06:49 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
... and maybe Ms. Palin will be the GOP nominee in 2016 and Rick Santorum will be her running mate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Gawd! A match made in teabagger heaven.

Santorum is too Progressive. Palin learned that lesson the hard way, with McCain.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:22 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,248,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Santorum is too Progressive. Palin learned that lesson the hard way, with McCain.
Santorum is progressive?

Old 02-20-2013, 07:24 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,571,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
So you consider her an idiot, but you have taken the time to listen to "every single public utterance this woman has made since she was nominated?" Wouldn't that be damn near a full time job?

I don't remember hearing a "blood libel" speech, but I did read her op-ed about it, IIRC in the WSJ. It was perfectly fine. Remember, she had been widely accused of having some complicity in the Tucson shooting. News stories, eds, op-eds, and lefty blogs all linked her to the shooting. Even liberal NYT columnist Charles Blow said that it was lunacy to try to link her to the shooting.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/15/opinion/15blow.html

Anyway I'll take your critique of Palin more seriously when you clean up your own diction, as in ("It's at a grade three level statement." Note that "level" is not an adjective). Plus you could learn to press enter and start a new paragraph now and then....
It would surprise you to know who I have listened to over the years. I'm not at all like your average RWNJs who like to hear nothing more than an echo chamber of his own imagination. How in the world would I know what the right wing agenda is if I did not take the time to listen?

Now Sarah, as far as I'm concerned has no agenda wider than her own personal interests. I mean it's extremely easy to listen to someone like Ron Paul and get a real good idea of what it is he is proposing. He has a position, ideas and policy. Sarah has nothing. How many times did I hear that ditz say, "A common sense solution" to what ever issue she was addressing. The problem is that her common sense is NONSENCE and she not only does not have a clue on how to deal with anything she doesn't even try to articulate any possible policy ideas that would begin to deal with ANYTHING.

I actually blame the rise of reality TV and the entire cult of the celebrity for making it not only possible but an every day fact of life that so many complete ignoramuses who haven't a freakin clue about anything have this public platform available to them to spout their crap. It gets worse if that's possible. Not only do they spout out on things they haven't a single clue about, many people take those ignorant rantings seriously.
On the other side of the same coin these same people who would listen to and form an opinion from someone like Glen Beck will tell you that people with Ph.Ds or Noble prizes in economics don't know anything. I'm not suggesting those people are always correct but usually they know a whole lot more than an idiot like Sean Hannity.

I consider Palin to be one of these ignoramuses who are famous for being famous. It was so apparent she was clueless when running for VP and that she was so far out of her depth that it just slapped you across the face when you listened to anything she managed to mutter in her bumbling stumbling clueless statements. Doesn't it tell you samething when half the comments you read about the woman from people who liked her usually mentioned how HOT she is. LOL. I guess the people who like her are really old guys who don't realize that 50 something year old hockey moms don't define hotness. I'm not saying she's ugly, she's an average middle aged lady but when your physical looks are front and center among your supporters then maybe, that's all you've got!!!!

Old 02-20-2013, 07:41 PM

If Sarah had wanted to run again, 2012 would have been the time to do it. The R field was weak, and Obama was vulnerable due to the economic numbers. In 2016 the R field will be stronger. I think she's smart enough to realize that she's damaged goods as far as national politics. She did flub the Couric and Gibson interviews and the nattering nabobs made that the eternal focal point of her life (much like they did with Dan Quayle and 'potatoe,' from which he never recovered). While of course ignoring Biden's laughable flub in his interview w/ perky Katie Couric (FDR on TV in 1929).

I think she will continue to do what she's doing, and will continue to be a valuable voice. She is far from stupid. When there was a flap between Sarah and David Letterman, a smart guy I know predicted doom for Sarah. This guy recalled what comic Chevy Chase did to the public perception of Gerald Ford in the 70's. Ford was actually an accomplished athlete, but Chevy Chase had everyone thinking that he was an uncoordinated, bumbling boob.

But it turned out that my friend was wrong. Sarah Palin won that little dustup, and when it was over it was David Letterman who was subjected to the ignominious climb down.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:43 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,509,847 times
Is there anybody invited to CPAC who isn't a warmed-over failure from the last two elections? CPAC is to politics what Vegas is to one-hit-wonders.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
It would surprise you to know who I have listened to over the years. I'm not at all like your average RWNJs who like to hear nothing more than an echo chamber of his own imagination. How in the world would I know what the right wing agenda is if I did not take the time to listen?

Now Sarah, as far as I'm concerned has no agenda wider than her own personal interests. I mean it's extremely easy to listen to someone like Ron Paul and get a real good idea of what it is he is proposing. He has a position, ideas and policy. Sarah has nothing. How many times did I hear that ditz say, "A common sense solution" to what ever issue she was addressing. The problem is that her common sense is NONSENCE and she not only does not have a clue on how to deal with anything she doesn't even try to articulate any possible policy ideas that would begin to deal with ANYTHING.

I actually blame the rise of reality TV and the entire cult of the celebrity for making it not only possible but an every day fact of life that so many complete ignoramuses who haven't a freakin clue about anything have this public platform available to them to spout their crap. It gets worse if that's possible. Not only do they spout out on things they haven't a single clue about, many people take those ignorant rantings seriously.
On the other side of the same coin these same people who would listen to and form an opinion from someone like Glen Beck will tell you that people with Ph.Ds or Noble prizes in economics don't know anything. I'm not suggesting those people are always correct but usually they know a whole lot more than an idiot like Sean Hannity.

I consider Palin to be one of these ignoramuses who are famous for being famous. It was so apparent she was clueless when running for VP and that she was so far out of her depth that it just slapped you across the face when you listened to anything she managed to mutter in her bumbling stumbling clueless statements. Doesn't it tell you samething when half the comments you read about the woman from people who liked her usually mentioned how HOT she is. LOL. I guess the people who like her are really old guys who don't realize that 50 something year old hockey moms don't define hotness. I'm not saying she's ugly, she's an average middle aged lady but when your physical looks are front and center among your supporters then maybe, that's all you've got!!!!
OK, I can respect the effort to listen to the other side. Milton Friedman, George Stigler, and Gary Becker all won the Nobel (not 'Noble') prize in economics. What would you say about an MSM and lefty blogosphere that would label them as outdated 'maroons.'

Old 02-20-2013, 07:52 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,361,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Perhaps you would have more confidence in Gov. Palin if you didn't outsource your thought process.

Magazines and other printed media are going broke all over the country because people have computers and no longer read the printed word.

It was a stupid question.

ABC released the unedited Gibson-Palin interview transcript, so what is CBS's excuse for not also releasing the unedited interview transcript?

Brutally Honest: The un-edited Gibson-Palin Interview transcript

BLOCK: So you think basically, on the whole, Sarah Palin got her history right.

Prof. ALLISON: Well, yeah, she did. And remember, she is a politician. She's not an historian. And God help us when historians start acting like politicians, and I suppose when politicians start writing history.

How Accurate Were Palin's Paul Revere Comments? : NPR

Under the Constitution, the vice president serves as the president of the Senate and presides over the Senate's daily proceedings. In the absence of the vice president, the Senate's president pro tempore (and others designated by him) presides. As one of the Senate's constitutional officers, only the Vice President has the authority to cast a tie-breaking vote.

U.S. Senate: Reference Home > President of the Senate: Vice President of the United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It was a flufff question. And she botched it. Heck, if she'd had the wits to make even that simple excuse you're now dreaming up on her behalf, that would have been the end of it. But "most of them", "all of them"' "any of them that have been in front of me"?

Yeah, she hadn't cracked a serious newspaper or magazine for years. And that's probably appealing to her core audience, bless their hearts, but a certain capacity for thinking on one's feet is still a requirement when you're vying for VP.

Got a coffee table covered with magazines and newspapers?

If you do, you're the only person outside the dental profession still spending money on printed media

Reader's Digest parent company declares bankruptcy again - Berkshire Eagle Online

Tribune, Bankruptcy Over, Is Expected to Sell Assets - NYTimes.com

Newsweek to end publication of its print edition - Oct. 18, 2012

Detroit newspapers to end daily home delivery - CNN

Since CBS refuses to release the undeited transcript as ABC did, we really don't know what was said before they edited it. Moreover, we also don't know what that which was included meant in its original context.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:13 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times
She has a new look

Old 02-23-2013, 08:30 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,153,584 times
Darn you, Karl Rove! Trying to get Republicans to actually win general elections!!!

Does anyone doubt that Tea Baggers would rather lose an election than have what passes for a "moderate" Republican win? Heck, some of them say it outright. They would rather a Democrat be elected than a non-Tea Bag Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies