Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 12:50 AM

132 posts, read 122,580 times

Advertisements

Information was collected by phone surveys/interviews.

Last edited by TheBlackAmerican; 02-21-2013 at 01:50 AM..

Old 02-21-2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Lol, the article doesn't differentiate between the different ethnicities amongst black people, it just uses the generic and often wrong term "African American". It doesn't prove anything. The media in this country lumps all black people under the AA banner
Typical.

Quote:
Also you still haven't addressed the fact that Africans and West indians out preform their American counterparts in academaia and jobs.
Your not. Not when you're separated by your ethnic origin.....

Last time I checked, West India isn't a country, and neither is Africa. We're an ethnic group. Besides, I don't see any middle class Trini, Jamaican or Ghanaian enclaves, so..........

Old 02-21-2013, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I had a similar thread, asking why Nigerian Americans are THE MOST EDUCATED GROUP IN AMERICA, even more so than Asians. They are 100% black African from the same place black Americans came from, and yet they are doing much better than black Americans.
That's false. Of course they're doing better than section 8 blacks, but not better than your average Black American. You should do yourself a favor and learn more about your own ethnic group. Please.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Im pretty sure that number is made up of Carribbean and Africans as well. Also you still haven't addressed the fact that Africans and West indians out preform their American counterparts in academaia and jobs.
Black Americans are the wealthiest blacks in this country, and you still haven't proven this to be false.

There are Black American middle class communities all over the US, and you know that's true. Don't be jealous....

Not too many Africans/Caribbeans live in these exclusive communities....

View Park-Windsor Hills, California

Palmer Woods in Detroit

Old 02-21-2013, 01:42 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I also recall similar accounts of non-American Blacks (but I believe that they were Afro-Latinos) not having the same restrictions in (or while traveling through) the Jim Crow south.
Wow. Not sure that was across the board but interesting nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed. Word was that many "Black" Hispanics try to STAY "Hispanic" to get around anti Black racism from both anglo whites and Indian/white Hispanic people.
But wouldn't they want to stay what they are anyway?

Old 02-21-2013, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
First, let me preface my statements by saying that I have been associated with Afro-Caribs, Africans, and Afro-Latinos since childhood in many different ways (neighbors, schoolmates, family friends, associates of my father, personal friends, co-workers, etc.) I was raised in an upper class predominantly Black (and Black Creole) neighborhood in LA in a highly educated, very accomplished (from several generations past) Black American family.

In my experience, some Afro-Caribs and Afro-Latinos attempt to distance themselves from the negative stereotypes regarding African Americans by bashing African Americans in general (at the same time that they latch on to affluent and upwardly mobile African Americans for our connections and influence). While it is understandable to not want to be stigmatized by the negative attitudes regarding Black Americans, usually those of lower socioeconomic status, I find that some Afro-Caribs and Afro-Latinos (particularly) have no qualms about stepping on the accomplishments of Black Americans in order to elevate themselves (as evidenced by this thread). And I also have enough personal, anecdotal experiences from myself and my parents to believe this to be a truth.
There is truth to this...although there are other dynamics/issues mixed in.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:49 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
The real question is, why can't they ensure that their native countries thrive and prosper?

It's quite a shame that the best and brightest think nothing of their own homelands.
IMHO it's because their "home" countries DON'T respect a "git it done" attitude, almost like the ghettos in the US so their best and brightest people go somewhere where they're actually wanted. If it means a "white" country, oh well.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
The real question is, why can't they ensure that their native countries thrive and prosper?

It's quite a shame that the best and brightest think nothing of their own homelands.
Not all of the best and brightest come to the U.S.
It depends on the nation these days. But even so, if you live in the U.S., for the same reason that you and everyone else except African-Americans are here.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackAmerican View Post
Black Americans are the wealthiest blacks in this country, and you still haven't proven this to be false.

There are Black American middle class communities all over the US, and you know that's true. Don't be jealous....

Not too many Africans/Caribbeans live in these exclusive communities....

View Park-Windsor Hills, California

Palmer Woods in Detroit

Beautiful!

Honestly though, Africans & Caribbeans aren't going to be very drawn to Detroit. California maybe a bit more, but that still makes traveling "back home" extremely long. So there's really nothing to be jealous about since both groups - though small - can be found in well-to-do areas in a numerous areas out East.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:01 AM

347 posts, read 695,762 times
Why do some Americans assume you come from a hellhole if you migrate. That you were escaping great strife, poverty and persecution. At least for the Caribbean the reasons are much more mundane. The biggest draws are higher salaries coupled with how close geographically the US and Canada are to "home" (Trinidad which is as south as the Caribbean gets is just 5 hours from New York City) and the fact that English is the main language spoken in the US and Canada. Those are the chief motivators for (Anglo) Caribbean migration. All of these islands are classified as medium to high development by the UN so the hell hole argument Americans seem to love makes no sense.
In the last 5 years with the Great Recession in the US, migration rates from the Caribbean have dropped dramatically. Many people are even coming back as some islands were not as hard hit as the US was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies