Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 10:37 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,472,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Because only in the black American culture is leaving the ghetto, getting an education and learned how to behave synonymous with "selling out."

Look at that Trayvon Martin kid: middle class family and yet he was known for cutting class, using dope and had a twitter account named "no limit N**** er" You never hear Africans accusing each other of "acting white" for leaving the ghetto and speaking proper English.

Only in the black American culture does authenticity equal being an idiotic thug who embraces ghetto culture who eats garbage like pig feet.

Once again you are confusing or equating Black American culture with "ghetto" culture when the two are not synonymous. Its the equivalent of saying that White American culture is trailer park culture.

You continually fail to make the distinction between socioeconomic status and race/ethnicity. What you are describing is "ghetto" culture not Black American culture. I am a Black American and I was not raised in a "ghetto" culture just as ALL White Americans are not raised in a "trailer park" culture.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:43 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,956,747 times

France is a pretty racist country still and isn't use to immigration like the US is.

Still, there is a difference between immigrants in a newly immigrant country and Americans in America who act like fools:

"For blacks, higher achievement is associated with modestly higher popularity until a grade point average of 3.5 [a B+ average], then the slope turns negative," Fryer and Torelli wrote in a new working paper published by the National Bureau of Economic Research. A black student who's gotten all A's has, on average, 1.5 fewer same-race friends than a straight-A white student. Among Hispanics, there is little change in popularity until a student's average rises above a C+, at which point it plummets. A Hispanic student with all A's is the least popular of all Hispanic students, and has three fewer friends than a typical white student with a 4.0 grade point average."

Richard Morin - The Price of Acting White

I have yet to hear one African immigrant kid say another was "acting white" because he studied hard, while that happens among black American kids all the time. I was once accused of being a "wannabe white boy" because I was sitting down at lunch reading Native Son by Richard Wright

That is the reality of a huge chunk of black America today.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:44 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,256,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
While Black Americans play the race/victim card, People from Africa(real african americans) are coming here taking care of business, getting their education, taking advantage of the same opportunites that black americans have.

Data show Nigerians the most educated in the U.S. - Houston Chronicle
Very interesting. Thanks for the post!

Old 02-21-2013, 10:48 PM

15,068 posts, read 6,128,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
^5
In truth, I'm a bit tired of recent immigrants and their children and/or grandchildren not showing any care or concern for this nation and its people. Americans with roots for several generations in this nation will not be going back "home," during retirement, because this is our home and we are trying to ensure that it remains prosperous and thriving for us and our children's children...
That's fine for you and others like you. Some of us are just not as tied to one place. I have to go back a very long time to find more than one generation in a particular country. I would like any children that I have to have a worldview and not to feel that they must be confined to one place...and that wherever they are, they should contribute wholeheartedly to the betterment of the society.

Having ties to different places in the world doesn't mean that you don't care about the nation in which you live...

Old 02-21-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
France is a pretty racist country still and isn't use to immigration like the US is.

Still, there is a difference between immigrants in a newly immigrant country and Americans in America who act like fools:
So why aren't the subSaharan African immigrants in France able to overcome racism as they do in America?

This sounds like an excuse. Why can't African immigrants in France simply follows the laws of the land and quietly attend schools and work on jobs as they do in America? Why are they rioting and making demands of the French government?

SubSaharan African immigrants are bankrupting the French version of the welfare and state housing system

French Government Cuts Immigrants Welfare by 83% | American Renaissance

http://www.crest.fr/ckfinder/userfil...ers/dp5557.pdf

Old 02-21-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Once again you are confusing or equating Black American culture with "ghetto" culture when the two are not synonymous. Its the equivalent of saying that White American culture is trailer park culture.

You continually fail to make the distinction between socioeconomic status and race/ethnicity. What you are describing is "ghetto" culture not Black American culture. I am a Black American and I was not raised in a "ghetto" culture just as ALL White Americans are not raised in a "trailer park" culture.

In America today, being "black" means "being ghetto." Even among majority of blacks, if you aren't "down wit da fried chicken, dem pigs feet, dat booty shakin and dat babby mamma drama you aint nottin but a oreo."

Wasn't always the case, but it is now. Don't believe me? Go to any mostly black neighborhood and look around. Turn on BET and tell me what you see.

And what the hell ever happened to the avant garde afro-centric side of black culture? Tell any black person under age thirty-ish that they should "get back to their heritage" and they will probably hit you with their pack of Newports. How the hell was this:

Arrested Development People Everyday Live 1993 - YouTube

Get replaced with this:

BET Hip Hop Awards 2012 Fights and Feuds - Rick Ross, Young Jeezy - YouTube

?

That Arrested Development song has one of my all time favorite lines...which has applied to myself on several time. "That's the story now, of a black man...acting like a N^^^ er and getting stomped by an African"

Old 02-21-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
So why aren't the subSaharan African immigrants in France able to overcome racism as they do in America?

This sounds like an excuse. Why can't African immigrants in France simply follows the laws of the land and quietly attend schools and work on jobs as they do in America? Why are they rioting and making demands of the French government?

SubSaharan African immigrants are bankrupting the French version of the welfare system French Government Cuts Immigrants Welfare by 83% | American Renaissance

Immigration has been going on in America for centuries and people of African descent have fought and won a Civil Rights Movement in the US over forty years ago. Neither of those things have taken place in France. France has a bigger race problem than the USA. In America, in the back of every American's mind is the understanding that we are all immigrants here...in France that is not the case.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
In America today, being "black" means "being ghetto." Even among majority of blacks, if you aren't "down wit da fried chicken, dem pigs feet, dat booty shakin and dat babby mamma drama you aint nottin but a oreo."

Wasn't always the case, but it is now. Don't believe me? Go to any mostly black neighborhood and look around. Turn on BET and tell me what you see.
Perhaps that is what being a Black American means to you. That is not how I was raised.

I was raised in an upper class predominantly Black American neighborhood in Los Angeles so my experience is very different from yours. This is my Black American world....

Oakland Bay Area Links Cotillion 2009 - YouTube

Old 02-21-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Immigration has been going on in America for centuries and people of African descent have fought and won a Civil Rights Movement in the US over forty years ago. Neither of those things have taken place in France. France has a bigger race problem than the USA. In America, in the back of every American's mind is the understanding that we are all immigrants here...in France that is not the case.
So how does any of the above excuse subSaharan African immigrants from demanding welfare and government housing in France. And then rioting when the French government cuts their welfare to avoid bankrupting the country.

African immigrants face racism in America. What makes the ones who immigrate to the US different?

Old 02-21-2013, 11:21 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,406,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I wonder how white people from Africa do in America.

Is there any data on that demographic?

It is not as exciting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies