Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 04:51 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Just stop all welfare programs"

No. But, I do believe every program needs a head to toe review and NOT from the Agencies that administer them.

Having personal experience with welfare recipients, I can attest to massive waste, fraud and abuse of the systems.
Indeed. I would hope that some more oversight would curb rampant abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 04:53 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Corporations will do whatever they damned well please, as they have done since 1981, until they're finally regulated. That means, they will offer unlivable wages, lobby to destroy unions, move jobs abroad, sell products for the highest possible price they can possibly get and still sell something, and engage in any corruption they're not caught at, or they're allowed to get away with.
So what's the problem? If you don't like working for GM, Apple, etc, then don't work there. If you don't like GM or Apple products, don't buy them.

Corruption is illegal, so we don't need more regulations to stop it.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:55 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
No one regulates corporations. No one sets limits on corporations. They are beholden to no one. .
Not true at all. They have to obey all laws just like the rest of us.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:02 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Move jobs abroad... Americans would rather have cheap goods than goods made here. Have you priced an American made washing machine $1200 vs. $340.

Staber Washers, Drying Cabinets for Fire, Medical and Wet Cleaning Drying Cabinets for Drying Cabinets.

Unlivable wage?...They usually pay what the market demands they pay. I don't know of too many paying very little and most pay more than min wage. A cashier isn't going to be able to command much when they can be replaced with a self checkout machine.

Sell products at the highest possible price? No, their goal is to maximize profits sometimes this does mean raising the price to what the market will bear, but in other cases the corp wants to sell the maximum number of units. (think Wmt vs. Nordstrom.)

Move jobs abroad? Nobody wants to pay a premium for an American product, including Americans.

Corruption and Destroy unions? Fair points. People should be allowed to form unions as they wish and corruption isn't good for the markets.
Sure, people want less expensive products, particularly anyone who is having a rough time. However, are you saying that the reason corporations moved jobs abroad is because people like less expensive products? Or did they do it for profit? As to the price they sell products at, do you think corporations take their customers' desires into account? Or is it a matter of profit? Do you think if they voluntarily would pay a higher wage? Chances are no, they wouldn't.

What I tried to say is that they do things for profit and only profit. They never take anything else into account but profit, and they will seek the highest possible profit, really at any cost to the workers, the consumers, and the nation. There's no reason to trust corporations to do anything noble.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:16 PM

26 posts, read 20,288 times
All you liberal comies are idiot's!!!!!!. Why do you in anyway think that giving welfare to lazy people who claim they can't work is right!? I mean people work hard every day to get enough money for themselves to live than get half taken away. Mainly because these welfare people who can easily work say they see red rabbit's everywhere so their disabled!! It makes me sick!! So yes 95 percent of welfare should be cut!!!!

Old 02-20-2013, 05:34 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck 1952r View Post
All you liberal comies are idiot's!!!!!!. Why do you in anyway think that giving welfare to lazy people who claim they can't work is right!? I mean people work hard every day to get enough money for themselves to live than get half taken away. Mainly because these welfare people who can easily work say they see red rabbit's everywhere so their disabled!! It makes me sick!! So yes 95 percent of welfare should be cut!!!!
I assume you are mainly talking about S.S., healthcare, and SSI right? Every other welfare program requires you to work or be looking for a job and with the exception of SNAP has a lifetime limit.

I don't know where you are getting the idea that half of your income is taken away though. The current top marginal tax rate is around 36%.

Government Spending Details: Federal State Local for 2012 - Charts
http://www.economy.com/mark-zandi/do...mpact-2008.pdf
SOI Tax Stats - Individual Income Tax Rates and Tax Shares

Old 02-20-2013, 05:46 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg7854 View Post
Still think raising the minimum wage would be horrible and not keep people off welfare? Why don't you read this whenever you get a chance, boys and girls? Australia just proved all those Greedy Obstructionist Plutocrats wrong 30 times over with this article.
Australia Proves Republicans Wrong With a Growing Economy and a High Minimum Wage
You don't know much about Australia do you? Australia's economy has been growing because of the Chinese demand for rare earth metals. Currently, Australian miners have a strong union and China has no choice but to pay the wages demanded, but all of that is going to change once Mongolia comes online. Why would China pay an Australian miner $200K when they can pay a Mongolian miner a fraction of that?

Australia had rare earth to offer China. What does the USA have to offer?

Australia
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1226405360938
What does Mongolia's mining boom mean for Australia? | ABC Radio Australia
Australia facing a hard landing: Andy Xie - Caixin Online - MarketWatch

Old 02-20-2013, 06:07 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Thanks for the laugh... do I even need to point out the irony in this post?

Old 02-20-2013, 06:08 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Are you attempting to claim that the left wing doesn't see the religious as right wing? The entire City Data Politics Forum contradicts that assertion.
This forum certainly doesn't speak for the entire country, at least I hope not - LOL. There are plenty of religious people on the left, in fact 70% of American Jews (and probably around half of Christians/Catholics) vote Dem.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:13 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,483 times
Quote:
Nobody likes to pay for a free loader. Not you, not I, not some "liberal commie." However, some of us realize that many people on welfare are NOT lazy free loaders but in a really bad place due to no fault of their own with no way out - for whatever reason, they can not work. These are legitimate cases.

Naturally, there are lots of people who take advantage of the system - they use it and abuse it. We are all paying for these parasites.

Unfortunately, if you do not provide some sort of aid and thereby open yourself up to abuse, life would simply become unbearable for everyone. You, me, and the "liberal commie" next door.

You see, the unfortunate and desperate will find a way to survive. When it comes to survival, all means are fair. You, me, and commie will most certainly not like those means.

Alas, YOU are the one who is too blind to see the potential problems with withdrawing all welfare. Apparently, people will just sit by the side of the road and wait for death to arrive. I promise you that they won't. I also promise you that you won't like what this situation would do for your safety and your quality of life.

And you have the gall to call others "idiots..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies