Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 01:14 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,578,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
I agree, but if we start talking regulations, it's not really libertarianism anymore, is it?
Sure it is.
Libertarianism promotes personal freedom, that doesn't mean we want to take all the laws away.

Sensible, low regulation that works is different to complete deregulation. The media just like to point out otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 01:26 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,333,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Sure it is.
Libertarianism promotes personal freedom, that doesn't mean we want to take all the laws away.

Sensible, low regulation that works is different to complete deregulation. The media just like to point out otherwise.
So what you're saying is no laws for individuals but laws for corporations?

Old 02-20-2013, 01:30 PM

69 posts, read 59,207 times
Quote:
I don't know if this is outside the topic parameters, but it may be an interesting discussion as to how Libertarianism and Anarchy differ.
The philosophical debate surrounding anarchy can go in a number of directions. Marx advocates a stateless system as the ultimate end of Communism...a state(less) system would be synonymous with anarchy. So that is anarchy by definition from the far-left. Libertarianism seldom advocates a complete abdication of all laws because an ideal society for a Libertarian would include the federal government behaving as a body that exists to protect liberty (national defense), to protect personal property rights, and to act as an impartial mediating body for contractual disputes.

Libertarianism is further from anarchy than Communism in theory. I know that seems a little counterintuitive at first glance, but if you read through what Marx wanted as his utopia...a stateless society was his goal.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
So what you're saying is no laws for individuals but laws for corporations?
No.
Of course there is laws for individuals.
You misread my post.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:49 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,333,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstate1122 View Post
The philosophical debate surrounding anarchy can go in a number of directions. Marx advocates a stateless system as the ultimate end of Communism...a state(less) system would be synonymous with anarchy. So that is anarchy by definition from the far-left. Libertarianism seldom advocates a complete abdication of all laws because an ideal society for a Libertarian would include the federal government behaving as a body that exists to protect liberty (national defense), to protect personal property rights, and to act as an impartial mediating body for contractual disputes.

Libertarianism is further from anarchy than Communism in theory. I know that seems a little counterintuitive at first glance, but if you read through what Marx wanted as his utopia...a stateless society was his goal.
Those three things are wide concepts and many smaller things fit underneath those categories.

For example, in order to settle contractual disputes more efficently, drug manufacturers put warning labels on bottles. It then becomes a contract of sorts between you and the manufacturer that you will take the medication as indicated on the label. If you do not and you get sick, and then sue the manufacturer, the manufacturer said they gave you sufficient warning regarding the medication.

My question does libertarianism (as you have described it) differ from the system we have now?

Old 02-20-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Those three things are wide concepts and many smaller things fit underneath those categories.

For example, in order to settle contractual disputes more efficently, drug manufacturers put warning labels on bottles. It then becomes a contract of sorts between you and the manufacturer that you will take the medication as indicated on the label. If you do not and you get sick, and then sue the manufacturer, the manufacturer said they gave you sufficient warning regarding the medication.

My question does libertarianism (as you have described it) differ from the system we have now?
The example you gave is a fair example. So it wouldn't differ in that case.

Libertarianism supports gay marriage.
Would decriminalize marijuana.
Libertarians support abortion. Don't think it should be used as birth control though.
Get rid of or massively reduce the size of the TSA, ATF, FCC, FDA and USDA.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:27 PM

69 posts, read 59,207 times
Quote:

Yes...remarkably so. When I listed those things in the previous post, I mean those to indicate that being all that the federal government should do. That is...a very limited federal government...especially in the realm of social services. Local and state governments would step into this role. I.e., The Department of Education is unnecessary bureaucracy. Each and every state has it's own DOE...we don't need a federal one. All that it does is set arbitrary tests which induce "teaching to the test," and dolling out pell grants. The Pell Grant money should be funnelled into each state DOE and issued accordingly. The federal DOE is simply waste.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstate1122 View Post
Yes...remarkably so. When I listed those things in the previous post, I mean those to indicate that being all that the federal government should do. That is...a very limited federal government...especially in the realm of social services. Local and state governments would step into this role. I.e., The Department of Education is unnecessary bureaucracy. Each and every state has it's own DOE...we don't need a federal one. All that it does is set arbitrary tests which induce "teaching to the test," and dolling out pell grants. The Pell Grant money should be funnelled into each state DOE and issued accordingly. The federal DOE is simply waste.
So you want the federal education money, you just don't want them to have any oversight of it?? That is, until some corruption is discovered and then the cry will be, "why didn't Obama know about this?"

Old 02-20-2013, 04:00 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Canada has no national department of education. Education is directed at the provincial level. Yet they are getting better test results than the US (and spending less money per student).

But back on topic, the US was largely libertarian during the 19th century, at least as long as you were a white male. Drugs were legal until around 1914. No federal income tax til 1913. No social security, medicare, FBI, or DOE (either education or energy, take your pick).

It was not a perfect society but I think it did work. By 1900 we were already a center of innovation, with people like Whitney, Edison, Wrights, John Browning, etc.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:10 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
Then you're just creating a market to startup competition. People will startup a business just so you will buy them up. How long do you figure you will be able to keep that up?
almost indefinitely - or at least until the market is saturated.

but my cash levels will keep increasing as I'll be making more and more sales with each business I buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies