Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 03:42 PM

295 posts, read 358,865 times

Advertisements

What's with all the claims of left-handed people being discriminated against? Last I checked, they were just as free to write and throw with their right hand as I am.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:43 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,791,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
Obama is left-handed so you know it's gotta be a sin!!
So was Clinton.

Egads. That's not helping.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:45 PM

20,715 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I'm not sure if being sexually attracted to a child is a choice. It's certainly not one I've ever had to make. I also don't know of any studies, or psychology concerning child molesters, but I'm sure they exist. But let's assume being attracted to children is not a choice. We have all kinds of laws that protect children. And we have all kinds of laws guaranteeing equal rights among adults. I don't think we should conflate the two.
or the three.

Quote:
I'm not sure what "argument by analogy" means. There are analogies. Some are much better than others. I think this one is pretty solid.
Solidity is demonstrated , not stated.

Quote:
I think that throwing in the notion of abusing children into a discussion of what is commonly understood as a discussion of what consenting adults can and can't do with each other in terms of contract law, is not a good argument.
If two consenting adults decide to engage in prostitution.....Hence we are now back to this being no resort appealing to legal consistency as if two consenting adults suffices.

Quote:
Um, it's the conservatives that have actively passed laws in the gay marriage debate. DOMA comes to mind. That's a law passed by conservatives that has the government actively banning a contract between two adults. Liberals, in this case, simply want the marriage equally applied to all, gay and straight.
Marriage is not like other contracts. I know of no such contract for example that I may become a buddy of someone and make them eligible for citizenship. Nor do I see the conveyance of social security benefits and so on. However again, we know it has nothing to do with banging away all night since prostitution was so frowned upon. It had to do with preserving the resources for offspring.

Quote:
In fact, it won't be any law passed that ends this debate, it will just be applying marriage laws to everyone. As is the case with other actively bigoted conservative laws that remove rights instead of applying them to all, the courts will decide this issue, not the legislatures.
I don't want laws given to everyone because I reject the premise that it had anything to do with couples.

Now again, if the intent is for adoption, then I have no problem with it. Otherwise it will just dilute any legal purpose it ever had.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:48 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Of course being left-handed is a choice. I can choose which hand to use. Are you people really too stupid to see that?

Old 02-20-2013, 03:49 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
He's ambidextrous. I write and eat like a leftie but bat, golf and do some other things right-handed.
No, he is a lefty, but CHOOSES to play golf and hockey like a righty.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:16 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,961 times
This is kinda tough for me to answer, because, as I remember, I had pretty good ambidextrous abilities until probably the 3rd or 4th grade, which, as I thought at the time, made me pretty awesome.

Undoubtedly, I should now be considered right-dominant, and I don't recall ever having made a conscious choice or effort to become a righty, nor do I recall any teacher or either of my parents ever having discouraged me from using my left hand for penmanship, throwing, etc. Somewhere along the line, I guess somewhat late in pre-adolescence, my left hand just ceased to have equal dexterity for whatever reason (subconscious choice/preference, perhaps?).

Old 02-20-2013, 08:48 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
weirder than anyone. I am a left handed Aquarius, should have been a blonde but I'm a brunette and I am transaged.
there are probly more since I have been told I am the exception to every rule but Aquarius pretty much covers a lot of my freaky nature so perhaps it would be redundant to add any.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:26 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Satire,.. Great Thread!
Not really. It's clumsy in how obvious it is. Good satire isn't simply taking one word and replacing it with another. This is just a bog standard homosexuality argument with left handedness replacing homosexuality. Good satire is illuminating. This isn't. Gulliver's Travels was good satire. This isn't good satire. It's just self righteous pseudointellectualism.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:33 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Not really. It's clumsy in how obvious it is. Good satire isn't simply taking one word and replacing it with another. This is just a bog standard homosexuality argument with left handedness replacing homosexuality. Good satire is illuminating. This isn't. Gulliver's Travels was good satire. This isn't good satire. It's just self righteous pseudointellectualism.
It makes a valid point.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:46 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Bad satire, indeed.

So bad that I actually thought my OP on this thread was at least somewhat relevant to a discussion about the supposed social hostility toward left-handed people, LOL.

Over my head...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies