Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 07:40 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times

Advertisements

That makes 6 for the school year and we still got 4 months to go.

Nothing to see here folks. A task force is being put together to get to the bottom of these killings. Rest assured the problem will be identified and addressed.

Suitland High student, 18, killed; county starts task force on string of deadly violence - The Washington Post

Quote:

An 18-year-old Suitland High School student was fatally shot late Tuesday afternoon, one day after a classmate was slain in a random robbery, marking six killings of Prince George’s students since the school year began.
The violence has prompted the county to start a task force to address the slayings.

When five high school students are killed within the 2012-2013 school year, we all demand both justice and an accounting for the circumstances that give rise to juvenile violence,” Police Chief Mark A. Magaw said Tuesday before the sixth student was shot.
The six cases are unrelated, officials said, and have occurred across the county. Two were gang-related, but with no dis­cern­ible pattern, law enforcement authorities and school officials are frustrated at the continuing violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 09:34 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Affluence is not a shield against random acts of violence for anyone.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:43 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
good thing PG county shut down the gun shows, that should help

Old 02-21-2013, 02:40 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
That makes 6 for the school year and we still got 4 months to go.

Nothing to see here folks. A task force is being put together to get to the bottom of these killings. Rest assured the problem will be identified and addressed.

Suitland High student, 18, killed; county starts task force on string of deadly violence - The Washington Post
I don't get it. They put together a special task force to look into this but you make a face at that. What else do you want them to do?

Old 02-21-2013, 04:03 AM

45,359 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I don't get it. They put together a special task force to look into this but you make a face at that. What else do you want them to do?
The face is for the fact that the County in question is always forming "special task forces" which don't accomplish much.

The immediate past County Executive, and his wife, are serving federal prison terms for bribery, a former school Superintendant was just released from federal custody after serving a sentence for embezzlement, his successor left after questions about his credentials were raised while his successor left after management and nepotism questions were raised. Another one left after misusing grant funds. The school system is barred from recruiting foreign teachers after violating various federal immigration laws. The County Housing Authority is being required to pay back misused housing funds. The School Board just tried to claim all intellectual property of students and staff.

That's the "face" emoticon.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Affluence is not a shield against random acts of violence for anyone.
For some reason these random acts of violence don't occur much across the river in Virginia.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:49 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
That's so sad.

However, I believe those are the poorer parts of PG County. People from the rougher areas of DC are being pushed out more and more. So the violence will likely spill out more into the suburbs. PG has always had higher crime than the other areas though.

I'll take Northern VA any day. I love Montgomery County, MD too but that area has other issues. I would live there still though.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:16 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
they have 5 suspects under arrest. evidently they killed him for his shoes

Pr. George's police arrest 5 in murder of 15-year-old - WTOP.com

Old 02-21-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
they have 5 suspects under arrest. evidently they killed him for his shoes

Pr. George's police arrest 5 in murder of 15-year-old - WTOP.com
I just don't get the thought process. You're in your early 20s and one morning you wake up and say, "gee let me call four of my buddies and rob someone of their shoes." I mean what sense is that are you going to share the shoes with your buddies? Sell them and get what $20 a piece?

The stupidity of the crimes is what is shocking. It's like there is a whole underclass with sub 70 IQs running around on the loose.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
That's so sad.

However, I believe those are the poorer parts of PG County. People from the rougher areas of DC are being pushed out more and more. So the violence will likely spill out more into the suburbs. PG has always had higher crime than the other areas though.

I'll take Northern VA any day. I love Montgomery County, MD too but that area has other issues. I would live there still though.
Yup. While the crime is located inside the Beltway. Inside the Beltway is where the majority of PG's Metro stations are located. The crime and filth in these areas prevent the areas around PG metro stations from developing to anything close to the level of Northern Virginia and Montgomery County. The crime also affects the perception of the rest of the county which results in reduced property values, failing schools, increased taxes to fund deficits etc.

I live in PG but I'll be moving to Waldorf or Alexandria in a few months. It's a shame I would like to live in a thriving middle class Black community but I can see the writing on the wall, PG is going to end up like Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies