Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 10:31 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Which president wanted to set up basketball courts for all the blackies?
"blackies"? really?

Why not darkie, or better yet n***r.

Last edited by carterstamp; 02-20-2013 at 10:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 11:01 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
It's not necissarily entirely the fault of liberals, but liberals are the ones demanding everyone should be entitled to a college education. When more people have degrees than there are jobs for them, the standard for lower paying jobs goes up. What once required only a high school diploma now requires a bachelors degree because there are so many people with degrees willing to take lower paying jobs that they are able to have that requirement. If the current trend keeps up, it won't be long at all before a master's degree is almost a necessity to get a good job.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:07 AM

29,468 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/bu...nies.html?_r=0

Great article from the New York Times. Even a $10/hour job as a document runner for this law firm requires a college degree now. All of this thanks to degree inflation, or shall I call it degree water down. All because liberals think everyone has the right to go to college. If one tries to even insinuate that maybe college might not be right for everyone. they throw a hissy fit.
It's all about the money.. and not for the ones that get the degree's. (generally speaking)

Old 02-20-2013, 11:12 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
It's not necissarily entirely the fault of liberals, but liberals are the ones demanding everyone should be entitled to a college education. When more people have degrees than there are jobs for them, the standard for lower paying jobs goes up. What once required only a high school diploma now requires a bachelors degree because there are so many people with degrees willing to take lower paying jobs that they are able to have that requirement. If the current trend keeps up, it won't be long at all before a master's degree is almost a necessity to get a good job.
Please tell me how the hell I can DEMAND that someone else get a college education. You people make your own choices, no? Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

For God's sake Man - if you want to go to electrician school - go be an electrician! No liberal is stopping anyone!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:12 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
It's not necissarily entirely the fault of liberals, but liberals are the ones demanding everyone should be entitled to a college education.
So the inverse of your argument is that only those whose families can afford the cost of a higher education should be afforded the opportunity?

Quote:
When more people have degrees than there are jobs for them, the standard for lower paying jobs goes up. What once required only a high school diploma now requires a bachelors degree because there are so many people with degrees willing to take lower paying jobs that they are able to have that requirement.
So it isn't the fault of the economy that instead of high paying technical and professional jobs that we have an economy where Wal Mart is the largest private employer?

Having said that, your argument, similar to the arguments about welfare that are based upon the present hyper competitive job market not on the future needs of a future expanding economy a future that will rely even less on low skill, low paying jobs that pervade the economy today but individual with more advance skills and knowledge.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:14 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,724 times
Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/bu...nies.html?_r=0

Great article from the New York Times. Even a $10/hour job as a document runner for this law firm requires a college degree now. All of this thanks to degree inflation, or shall I call it degree water down. All because liberals think everyone has the right to go to college. If one tries to even insinuate that maybe college might not be right for everyone. they throw a hissy fit.
Okay, who are these liberals? Are they an empty chair?

I don't know anyone who would argue that people have a right to go to college. It seems absurb. Just as no one argues you have a right to happiness

You have the right to pursue college. We should invest in the people smart enough to go to college,, help them out, so they can grow our economy. I can see that ...its a good ROI

yet if your stupid or don't want to go to college or . ..have a better opportunity that fits you, why not? No one is forcing you go to college.

Now why are more companies asking for degrees
-degree shows a quality that the employer is looking for
-enough people with degrees and they can hire at the price point that makes that quality worthwhile

If you are an employer and you can get a career oriented person for $10.00 an hour with a degree, than you will do it.

I really wonder about you guys. ..i mean seriously, is everything liberal and conservative? This is flat game theory business. . .something a conservative should know.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:33 AM

78,379 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
No, it's the right wingers. I just posted the link to the bill the democrats brought to the table to stop offshoring that the greedy right wingers shot down on the previous page.

The GOP hates the working man with a passion.
Unlike you, I'm not blaming one party.

NAFTA.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:36 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
It only took 3 posts and the "everyone should get a college education" rant from the left has already started.
And your op was that the evil dems are forcing it.
I don't care if r's choose not to be educated. Their choice.

It's always people without degrees who have deep resentment against those who have degrees.
Funny that.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:37 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And your op was that the evil dems are forcing it.
I don't care if r's choose not to be educated. Their choice.

It's always people without degrees who have deep resentment against those who have degrees.
Funny that.
Interesting, isn't it? It's almost like they're JEALOUS of someone's education.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:37 AM

89,002 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
NAFTA.
And Obama's Pacific Rim NAFTA...

Labor Day Showdown: Can Advocates Stop 'NAFTA of the Pacific'? - HuffPo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies