Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 01:15 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times

Advertisements

This sequester thing. The government hasn't changed spending in the past 30 years. Pork barrel pet projects, spending money on nonsense. This is just a new spin on the same old thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 01:18 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Disruption in air travel alone is enough to curtail our anemic economic growth. Is there any particular reason you don't understand this?
Hey, how about we stop one of the ten thoousand stupid ways we waste money? Flatten and streamline the TSA bureaucracy, do more with less, use technology to save money...you know, like the rest of the world lives? If air travel is disrupted by the sequester, that by itself is proof of the incompetence of this administration.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:22 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,769,934 times
I'll just lay this here.

GOP Rep. Amash: Effort to blame Obama for sequester cuts 'disingenuous' - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

Old 02-22-2013, 01:25 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
A much better article about him than the last one posted.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:37 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Hey, how about we stop one of the ten thoousand stupid ways we waste money? Flatten and streamline the TSA bureaucracy, do more with less, use technology to save money...you know, like the rest of the world lives? If air travel is disrupted by the sequester, that by itself is proof of the incompetence of this administration.
I don't disagree. The President is grandstanding......to a point. Sequestration is a budget cut with an axe instead of a scalpel. The government is certainly rife with waste and inefficiencies....but when 100+ air traffic control towers are about to be closed (not employee furloughs), midnight shifts eliminated at 60+ ARTCC's/ATC towers, etc. simply because of across the board budget cuts, then I think it's safe to say we're being counterproductive. Aviation cuts alone might possibly take down the FY2013 economy. I agree with the cuts in theory, and I do want to see them, but i'm also being pragmatic about their effects. 20% salary cuts for almost the entire federal government isn't exactly what i'd call a good way to boost the economy. And that's not counting the untold number of contractors and contracts that will no longer be in existence.

We need cuts. Badly and drastically, But they need to be smart.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:41 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,952 times
Quote:
I'm not sure you're accurate in saying that these cuts are tied to future increases. For example, federal agencies were put in an even worse situation when the sequester was put off until March 1st. Why? Because if the sequester comes to fruition, then agencies will be forced to comply with the same immediate cuts, but with fewer months in the fiscal years' budget to pull money from. For example, $1B in cuts in 7 months (down from 9 months worth of budget) is an even larger strain since there are fewer months worth of money in the pot. These are funds from the CURRENT budget, not that of 2, 5, or 10 years down the road.

If you can provide data to show that these are only cuts to future increases, i'd be happy to read it.
If the message my husbands agency just got is any indication, you are exactly right. If these cuts were tied to future increases we would not be worrying about furloughs and a reduction in pay, in addition to less vehicle maintaince, less ammo, less technology and the list goes on. It goes into effect in April and somehow that doesn't seem like future increases to me.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:56 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
We needed no cuts. And, your "smart" cuts would have, of necessity required the destruction of entities useless to you, personally perhaps, but which exist for a good reason. When faced with a stonewall, Mommy and Daddy spank both children. That about sums up this sorry situation. Republicans lost the major elections of the decade but through filibuster and force of will attempted to retain power and influence over the economic landscape. We need a new system, one where the winner is in control, for good or for ill. Its the only sane way. If the loser can still control the game what's the point?

H

Old 02-22-2013, 02:00 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,578,753 times
Quote:
I don't disagree. The President is grandstanding......to a point. Sequestration is a budget cut with an axe instead of a scalpel. The government is certainly rife with waste and inefficiencies....but when 100+ air traffic control towers are about to be closed (not employee furloughs), midnight shifts eliminated at 60+ ARTCC's/ATC towers, etc. simply because of across the board budget cuts, then I think it's safe to say we're being counterproductive. Aviation cuts alone might possibly take down the FY2013 economy. I agree with the cuts in theory, and I do want to see them, but i'm also being pragmatic about their effects. 20% salary cuts for almost the entire federal government isn't exactly what i'd call a good way to boost the economy. And that's not counting the untold number of contractors and contracts that will no longer be in existence.

Air traffic controllers do not need to be cut. That is propaganda from the left.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:03 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Obama needs to make cuts that hurt so that people will turn on the right wing and end this curse that has been upon the country for the last few years. Hobble aviation and transport - let's see how long it takes for the wingnuts to cave when their deep pocket contributors start to get hurt. It is too bad he can't find a way to cut or delay SS checks.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:04 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:

Those things are not going to happen. You sound really silly. You simply make much of it up out of thin air. 20% salary cuts? Why would there be 20% salary cuts? The current salaries are funded and not a penny of current funding is being touched.

Those control towers are currently funded and not a penny of that funding is being touched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies