Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 10:40 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,836,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
So you are pretty much like a black man walking through a southern suburb.
There are similarities I'm sure.

as someone pointed out, white people are considered to be more wealthy but this is obviously not always the case.

how about I put a sign on my shop when I return home which says 'Asians must pay double'

would that be allowed?

Old 02-20-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Southest Asia has a history of beng racist against itself.

Research "The Killing Fields".
good point - also there's Indonesia where they butchered around 500,000 people or so, during the 70's

Suharto v. Sukarno

Old 02-20-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
It seems to me like you're trying to get other people to justify your wanting to even the score. You should just remember the good times and avoid going back if you didn't like it so much.
the point I'm making is that as a white person we experience racism when going abroad.

yet, when it happens in our own countries the PC mob have hysterics.

can't they see that this is just human nature?

Old 02-20-2013, 10:45 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Thailand: farang = white fruit
Cambodia: barang = frenchman
Are those actually insulting terms? Is there another term that would refer to you? AA in America used to be called negros until someone said it was offensive so it was changed to black. Then someone else came along and said black is offensive, so now we have AA. None of these terms are actually offensive and all refer to a black person, but it depends on the context used.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:47 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,694,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Where the heck do you live? I am currently in China, I have been in Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Thailand and Singapore and I experience pretty much no racism.

In China I get stared at once in a while, especially from children, but who cares. Sometimes it is kinda cute. Sometimes they may try to overcharge me, but I know the price. If you know the local prizes, then you will get local prizes. Also, there are other ways in China to get things cheap. For instance I payed $65 for a spa online for valentines day, but if I went there without ordering it would cost $140.

And I have experienced no racial slurs. The only time I experienced anything here was from some Germans on the great wall, who stood in the way taking pictures, and we asked if they could let us pass.

Also, just because some people are racists, does not give you the right to be racist.
If you spoke Chinese (as I do, Cantonese) you would have heard racial slurs - even if you didnt know they were

So you have an OK experience in China and the invalidates the vast amount of evidence pointing to Asian racism?

Old 02-20-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Where the heck do you live? I am currently in China, I have been in Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Thailand and Singapore and I experience pretty much no racism.

For instance I payed $65 for a spa online for valentines day, but if I went there without ordering it would cost $140.
Many foreigners are unaware of the inherent racism in these places because they are insulated with their higher spending power.

but take away the money and it is there, blatantly.

how do you think you would fit in, in a Bangkok shanty town for instance?

or in the slums of Calcutta?

Not too well I would think.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:48 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
but he's raised a lot of awareness about the problems foreigners face.
Foreigners do not really face that many problems, except on one issue. Visa problems.

However, while many developed countries can be bad, if you have any experience dealing with immigration authorities in the west it is even worse.

Like in my home country. We are planning to live in my home country for some years, the only way I can get my girlfriend to stay in my country is either being separated for two years so we can get marriage visa, or student visa. Student visas are a hassle, because you have to learn the language first for nearly all courses, and the only place to take the test is in the country. Work visa is impossible if you are not already in the country, because to get a work visa you need to get a job offer (only a few fields is allowed), but most employers would not hire anyone without a work visa. To add salt in the injury, the processing time is extremely long. The system do not provide quality, as there are very few requirements. They are just making it very difficult to deal with and you have to find ways around the system.

China has pretty nasty immigration authorities, but they are better than that. At least you can get tourist visas easily, they have one year marriage tourist visas, they have business visas, they have student visas and the work visas are possible to get.They are also open for bribing if anything goes wrong.

I wish countries could make rules that makes a little bit more sense.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:49 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
the point I'm making is that as a white person we experience racism when going abroad.

yet, when it happens in our own countries the PC mob have hysterics.

can't they see that this is just human nature?
The west is just weak and feminized. Russians have no time for PC BS. The Russian language doesn't even allow for much, shall we say, obsequious mannerisms.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
you're in their country. in this country (usa) the majority of us have decided we don't want to be rude, racist, and discriminatory in practice, even if that's not always how we feel personally. in russia, not a western country, but european, gangs of ethnic russians beat asians and muslims. what is really your point?
The point is that many liberals are hypocrites wearing rose-tinted glasses.

most of them have probably never spent more than a holiday abroad, yet think they can dictate PC race rules for us to follow.

let them live in the slums of these foreign countries, see how it really is, then come back and have a re-think.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Are those actually insulting terms? Is there another term that would refer to you? AA in America used to be called negros until someone said it was offensive so it was changed to black. Then someone else came along and said black is offensive, so now we have AA. None of these terms are actually offensive and all refer to a black person, but it depends on the context used.
scenario:

White customer at bank: Hi, can I speak to the manager please

Thai cashier: Boss, there's a farang (ie: darkie) here wishing to speak to you

would you accept that back home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies