Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 05:10 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
It would go over perfectly well, all he has to do is allege one of those grieving relatives tried to hit him and he had a gun forcing him to open fire. How will that story be proven wrong beyond a reasonable doubt?
Because police notified them and they came to house when it was still swarming with cops and the son was still dead in the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 05:12 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Because police notified them and they came to house when it was still swarming with cops and the son was still dead in the window.
I missed that part lol. Too bad.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:17 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
A nice big dog, keeps things like this from happening.

From Rhodesian ridgeback, to a pitbull, to a couple of black labs, no one has ever attempted to break in here, while my neighborhood was getting hit pretty hard 3 years ago. Front door kick in's.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:18 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Perhaps burglars should be required to announce their intentions, they are the one intruding.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:19 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
A nice big dog, keeps things like this from happening.

From Rhodesian ridgeback, to a pitbull, to a couple of black labs, no one has ever attempted to break in here, while my neighborhood was getting hit pretty hard 3 years ago. Front door kick in's.
It probably deters some kids like the one shot but really all you need to do is bring some food. Win over 99% of dogs. Then while he or she is busy stuffing her face you shoot it and move on to bigger and more profitable things in the house.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:22 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
A veteran retired police officer told me that almost always when a thieve breaks into your home he HAS A GUN. If he is breaking in he has to be stopped and stopped hard. No time for a conversation.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:24 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
We have castle doctrine here as well and there's no duty to retreat inside the home. The law states that to use deadly force you must be in imminent threat of serious bodily injury or death. I don't see how someone attempting to climb through a window meets that criteria.

Exactly how long would it take after a person has climbed through your window for them to begin attacking you if that is their intent? 3, maybe 5 seconds? the point is hindsight is always 20/20. When someone is climbing through you're window it's quite a shock and you don't have time to analyze the issue. A stranger is violating your personal space and security. Instinct takes over.

I'm always amazed at the people who criticize homeowners who use lethal force to defend themselves as having acted rash. A decision which can decide life or death must literally be made in a matter of a few mere seconds. The felon in this case wasn't knocking on the door or ringing the bell. He was coming through the window. It would stretch credulity to try to imagine a situation where someone breaking into your home through a window did not mean you some kind of harm. The homeowner was completely justified in doing what he did.

As for the dead guy's family. It's natural that they are upset but they have no right to bother the homeowner.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:32 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
As for the dead guy's family. It's natural that they are upset but they have no right to bother the homeowner.
They didn't bother or talk to the homeowner.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:42 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This is what I love about the web...EVERYONE is perfect!

Few people are stoic when their kid gets killed. That's not normal human behavior. Sure, he deserved to get shot, but that's a separate matter altogether from the grieving issue. So his parents were emotional....SURPRISE!!!!

And if you don't think that plenty of well raised children don't go astray, then you either don't have children, or have a pollyanaish view of the world. That line is razor thin...and plenty of damn good but impressionable kids cross it for a million different reasons.

So please, stop with the android routine.
"Android"?

I am simply hoping, and expecting, that parents would be involved enough with thier kids that they would not commit crimes. I have three children 22, 20, and 18- none have committed any crimes. All three were the captains of their tennis and golf teams, respectively, through high school. The two older ones are nearly 4.0 students in college. They go to mass and are friendly, outgoing kids. My youngest is a 3.50 GPA student (the youngest is usually more lax), yet is college bound to a very good college.

Get real. The apple does not fall far from the tree. I do not know of a single kid from my kid's peer group who has committed a crime and has not gone on to college. Many of their friends were "scholarship kids" in the Catholic high school, yet were very good kids and continue to do well. Why? Despite lower income, they had very good parents who were involved with thier kids.

You must be black and one of these "rationalizers" who seeks excuses for failure in life among fellow blacks. That attitude, of course, is one that is destined to perpetuate a culture of losers. My youngest son's best friend is black. However, he is a 4.0 student and has a full ride scholarship to Michigan for academics (the kid is 6'4" and 320, but does not want to play college football).

People need to have a firm hand when raising their kids, or they can expect them to be shot and seek "warning shots" for their kids for the rest of their life.

Perhaps it is regional culture. The black folks here have a "Scandanavian" culture and value education and hard work, thus thier success. If we are "androids", perhaps the rest of the US should copy our culture and understand the value of hard work and education.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:46 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
It probably deters some kids like the one shot but really all you need to do is bring some food. Win over 99% of dogs. Then while he or she is busy stuffing her face you shoot it and move on to bigger and more profitable things in the house.

It better be raw meat and a lot of it for my dogs, to keep them busy enough. My dogs always have food in their bowl. It never runs out. My lab weighs 135# and he isn't fat.
My pitbull looked mean. If someone did break in he would have helped them pack stuff out. He was a big goofy dog, that love the kids and any attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies