Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 08:29 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoooka View Post
Well all I can say is that if a ban becomes law on semi autos, then I know as well as the son comes up in the east tomorrow that the next time someone uses a shotgun at some school play ground its gong to be lets get rid of those nasty assault shotguns. You only need a double barrel as While E Biden says. You don't need a high powered sniper rifle [bolt action with scope] or a pump shotgun or anything but a double barreled shotgun. Then once those are all gone, there will not be much Resistance to just making it all but impossible to own a one of those.

The left is using the frog in the soup pot maneuver. throw a frog in to boiling water and he jumps out. Throw him into cool water and turn the heat up he slowly cooks to death.
I know what they are doing and you are 100% correct in what you say. I just scratch my head about the hesitation for increasing background checks for ALL sales. I really do feel that is important. Mentally ill people/criminals shooting up people give the law abiding a bad name due to "guilty by association". Anything other than that, they can go scratch. I don't like national registries or bans on sensible hardware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 08:29 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I am completely pro-2nd-A and I often scratch my head about comments from other supporters about their lack of wanting background checks. Most supporters I know want it. I live in a state where we have to do this already for ANY gun. A national registry is another thing altogether, although here in my state, your guns are registered to you anyway.

I have no issue with a BAN list that houses the names of individuals who are precluded by law from owning/purchasing firearms.

I think most folks are good with that. The issue becomes the application and where information is kept when a legal purchaser applies.

My name does not need to be in a registry some place. My name doesn’t need to be on some form, held by the ATF that I wanted to buy a gun.

If that were the type of system we were talking about, I suspect most folk would be happy. That is NOT what we are talking about though.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:30 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I have no problem with all sales at gun shows being required to have background checks, for dealers & private sellers on the premesis.

But transfers between private sellers & family members (where the recipient/buyer is eligible) is none of the government's business.

Neither is the number of guns I own or the standard capacity magazines they may use.
So you should be able to give guns to your felonious brother without penalty? How about to your mentally ill son?

I know you stated where the recipient is eligible, but what's there's nothing to prevent the action other than the good will of the seller/gifter. We need something stronger than that.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:31 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Nice alliteration-- but no basis in fact. Only in your paranoia.
Tell that to the Brits & Aussies.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:31 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,755,825 times
Obviously you aren't real big on reading history huh?
? Soviet Union - more than 20 million people murdered by their government;

? Nazi Germany - more than 13 million Jews and others murdered;

? Red China - more than 50 million murdered because of differing political opinions;

? Guatemala - more than 100,000 Mayan Indians exterminated;

? Cambodia - more than 1 million educated people murdered.

Guns were banned people were massacred.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:32 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
There is only 2 options to this debate. You want them banned,which means you want ANY restrictions put in place because eventually it will lead to guns being banned or you are for the 2nd amendment there is no other options here. I am for the 2nd amendment its the only law we need for guns.Its also the only one I will follow.
So, you favor NO restrictions?

A 10 year old with a paper route should be able to buy whatever he wants?

An illegal immigrant?

Convicted felons?

Recent releases from mental institutions, known to go off their meds?

Sounds like a plan

Old 02-22-2013, 08:33 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I have no issue with a BAN list that houses the names of individuals who are precluded by law from owning/purchasing firearms.

I think most folks are good with that. The issue becomes the application and where information is kept when a legal purchaser applies.

My name does not need to be in a registry some place. My name doesn’t need to be on some form, held by the ATF that I wanted to buy a gun.

If that were the type of system we were talking about, I suspect most folk would be happy. That is NOT what we are talking about though.
I completely agree. It IS a slippery slope indeed, but being honest here, background checks to keep weapons out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill only makes sense. As long as that is the REAL intention. I don't want any legal owners names on any list except for the list that says you applied for a permit. There is no need for the government to know what hardware we have in our homes as long as everything is legal.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:33 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
So you should be able to give guns to your felonious brother without penalty? How about to your mentally ill son?

I know you stated where the recipient is eligible, but what's there's nothing to prevent the action other than the good will of the seller/gifter. We need something stronger than that.
What's to prevent them from doing so anyway, your proposed law? lol

Old 02-22-2013, 08:34 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,755,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So, you favor NO restrictions?

A 10 year old with a paper route should be able to buy whatever he wants?

An illegal immigrant?

Convicted felons?

Recent releases from mental institutions, known to go off their meds?

Sounds like a plan
2nd amendment is all we need. My wife started shooting rifles at 5 years old. She didn't buy them her father did. Convicted felon absolutely once they have completed their sentence.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:36 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
What's to prevent them from doing so anyway, your proposed law? lol
By that logic we should repeal all law, right? I can still steal, even though there's a law against stealing.
I can murder even though there is a law against mudering.
Speed limits-- People can still speed....

Give me a break. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies