Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 11:27 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Enumclaw, Washington:

19.34.030 Accessory dwelling unit.

An “accessory dwelling unit (ADU)” is a habitable living unit added to, created within, or detached from a single-family dwelling that contains facilities for living, sleeping, eating, cooking and sanitation. (Ord. 2119 § 1, 2001).

19.34.080 Subdivision.

The accessory dwelling unit, or the land on which the accessory dwelling unit is located, shall not be subdivided or otherwise segregated in ownership from the principal dwelling unit or the land on which the principal dwelling unit is located. (Ord. 2119 § 1, 2001).

Chapter 19.34 ACCESSORY DWELLING UNITS
(These are standard provisions in zoning codes.)
and

do you even look at what you post

they are talking about ADU....

ie you own a house on a lot...you make the garage(seperate building) a rentable apartment..a ADU...the FACT is it is still part of one property
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 11:30 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,390 times
Quote:
You haven't given an amount but I'm very confident that since my amount exempts nondiscretionary income, my amount if greater than your amount.

Just curious... Who would define discretionary and non-discretionary income amounts? The same people currently on the Ways and Means committee? People like Charlie Rangel?

Old 02-25-2013, 11:37 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and

ie you own a house on a lot...you make the garage(seperate building) a rentable apartment..a ADU...the FACT is it is still part of one property

That fact is an artificial distinction which has NOTHING to do with the safety or health of either its occupants or anyone else.

It it's legal to rent it should be legal to sell or buy.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Just curious... Who would define discretionary and non-discretionary income amounts? The same people currently on the Ways and Means committee? People like Charlie Rangel?

Yes, the same Congress that decided our tax raates and brackets woould decide the level at which discretionary income begins.

The definition I use - intentionally conservative - is that a level of income necessary to live at a standard of the 20th percentile (well below the median) should be exempt from tax.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Well for starters, it would at least collect as much as the payroll tax since that's a flat tax for the exact same percentage of just wages (up to a certain amount) that already brings in 950 billion. But due to the fact that there would be no income cap, plus gifts dividiends, capital gains, and other income etc would be taxed at that rate, I argue that just a 15.3% income tax with 0 deductions or exemptions would bring in more than our current individual income tax, not to mention it's fair.

As much as I agree with the concept, I find there are flaws that would negatively impact the poor. So I am in agreement with a couple here that en exemption should be made for poverty level +10%. But please don't mistake me for someone who believes in a progressive tax system.

One thing I would possibly add is if your household pays zero in taxes, you cannot vote. That way those who do not pay taxes could not vote to take from those who do pay taxes. If they want a say, they are required to have some skin in the game.

Just my thoughts.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:46 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Yes, the same Congress that decided our tax raates and brackets woould decide the level at which discretionary income begins.

The definition I use - intentionally conservative - is that a level of income necessary to live at a standard of the 20th percentile (well below the median) should be exempt from tax.
And you realize that by doing so, you actually ADVOCATE the federal government's protection and promotion of the top 1% from whom they derive, BY FAR, the most income tax revenue.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:

Would that level be the same in New York City as it is in Rottencrotch Kansas?

Old 02-25-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and

And get this...can you just see the bias dripping

19.34.010 Purpose.

It is the purpose of this chapter to regulate the establishment of accessory dwelling units within or in conjunction with single-family dwellings while preserving the character of single-family neighborhoods. The primary purpose of this chapter shall be to permit establishment of additional living quarters within single-family residential neighborhoods in order to:
A. Make it possible for adult children to provide care and support to a parent or other relatives in need of assistance; and/or
B. Provide increased security and companionship for homeowners; and/or
C. Provide the opportunity for homeowners to gain the extra income necessary to help meet the rising costs of home ownership; and/or
D. Provide for the care of disabled persons within their own homes; and/or
E. Provide for a more diverse and affordable housing stock. (Ord. 2119 § 1, 2001).

NOTHING about providing the opportunity for renters to enjoy affordable ownership opportunities necessary to help meet the rising cost of housing. (Renters clearly have greater need, as median homeowner income is 2x median renter income.)

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
That fact is an artificial distinction which has NOTHING to do with the safety or health of either its occupants or anyone else.

It it's legal to rent it should be legal to sell or buy.
says who

so you say someone shpould be able to SELL the converted garage that is now an appartment that STILL SITS ON THE ONE PIECE OF PROPERTY

are you on drugs???

4,911 posts, read 3,428,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Well for starters, it would at least collect as much as the payroll tax since that's a flat tax for the exact same percentage of just wages (up to a certain amount) that already brings in 950 billion. But due to the fact that there would be no income cap, plus gifts dividiends, capital gains, and other income etc would be taxed at that rate, I argue that just a 15.3% income tax with 0 deductions or exemptions would bring in more than our current individual income tax, not to mention it's fair.
It

No it is not fair. It would increase taxes on those who can least afford to pay them and it would decrease taxes on those most able to afford them. It would also last for at most a year or so before the rich starting getting all sorts of tax breaks because "they create jobs" which would lead to the poor paying a higher tax rate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies