Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 10:13 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times

Advertisements

Ummm ... I dunno ...

Nuclear warheads???

Old 02-22-2013, 10:14 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
We cant even buy black powder anymore since it was clasified as an explosive and the hasmat fees are way high for online purchase So it's tripple seven or pyrodex. got some old cans of real powder and hate to even use them hunting and such. Am I a terrorist now!!
Huh What? I buy black powder all the time..... GOEX which i use in FFg FFFg and FFFFg in flintlocks..

i don't try to buy it on line though... I drive to a sporting goods store that carries it. i won't say where since the grabbers might harass the place.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:26 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Huh What? I buy black powder all the time..... GOEX which i use in FFg FFFg and FFFFg in flintlocks..

i don't try to buy it on line though... I drive to a sporting goods store that carries it. i won't say where since the grabbers might harass the place.
Goex is what i have, the local gun shop next town over is ordering me some though and was quite suprised I wanted real black powder instead of the subs. I love the smoke and the smell of sulfer plus it forces me to clean up proper. most black powder guys dont use black powder any more it seems.Heck Savage even markets modern inlines that use smokeless powder and legal for muzzle loading in some states.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:00 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
No not really, that would be against the LAW for the military to take action against We the People...
Yeah, that would never happen.

Kent May 4th Audio Recording - YouTube

Old 02-23-2013, 03:18 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
What if Arms only means a musket. That is all they had back then. The things we have now they had no idea of in their day. You are defining arms. Your definition does not appear in the constitution. If we are to go with the original intent then the only thing that we can be sure of is Muskets. Like I said. I don't think anyone has a problem with one shot hard to reload muskets.
I've seen this argument before and it is silly. Yes at the time the only arms were muskets. But they were the only arms available to anyone. That part gets routinely ignored in the argument you're making and that I've seen many others make in the past. The argument that the 2A meant muskets because all they had were muskets leads to a corrollary that as weapons development advances so does the scope of the 2A. Because the 2A does not say "any weapons developed in the future shall not be covered by this amendment." Nor does it make a distinction between "military" and "civilian" weapons. It simply says arms.

So what your argument "the 2A specifically meant muskets because muskets were what was available then" leads to today is allowing the people to have grenade launchers, fully automatic battle rifles, shoulder fired anti tank missiles, belt fet machineguns, etc. After all, the that's what's available now. So if the 2A referred to the same arms which were available to soldiers then, then in the absence of any exclusion for future technological advances, it must refer to the same arms which are available to soldiers now. And this is absolutely supported by history because as smoothbore muzzle loading muskets gave way to rifled muskets, gave way to breech loading rifles, gave way to repeating rifles, each in turn was deemed legal for people to own. After all, how could the "rifle that won the west" in the hands of civilian settlers be the Winchester 1873 repeating rifle if the 2A only allowed single shot muzzle loading muskets?

So it's in the best interests of gun control advocates to not take the stance you suggest. It is in the interests of gun control advocates to adopt the same stance that most gun rights activists adopt - that you should interpret the 2A by looking at the well regulated militia clause, to see what the 2A was meant to achieve, and therefore to focus on the purpose of a weapon and not focus purely on what technology was or is available.

The fact that the amendment does not make an exception for future advances in technology really makes the whole musket argument unworkable from a gun control standpoint.

Last edited by kidkaos2; 02-23-2013 at 03:31 AM..

Old 02-23-2013, 03:40 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Should they be allowed to own a fully operational tank, surface to air missile, nuclear weapon, nerve gas, automatic machine gun, grenade, bazooka, grenade launcher, combat jet with operational weaponry?

most of those are not weapons of the ordinary soldier, which is what the founders intended for the people.

btw, you can get a fully automatic machinge gun, you just have to get the federal tax stamp for it.
same with grenades.

all others are not normal soldier material.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:27 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The 2nd amendment doesn't indicate "firearms">

Correct. So many ignorant people think bearing arms, means a gun.
It means, what ever it takes to get it done and what ever you have or can make to get it done.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:46 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
I have more than one fully automatic "machine gun" It has not gone off all by itself, in a long time.

None of them are my weapon of choice, if my home is breached. The 1911 in my hand, my wifes 1911 and my 15 year old daughters .38.

I only have them, because they came from my great grandfather, my grandfather and my dad, for the day the crap hits the fan and mobs are roaming and pillaging. They are for the Police State that is on its way full time.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:31 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Goex is what i have, the local gun shop next town over is ordering me some though and was quite suprised I wanted real black powder instead of the subs. I love the smoke and the smell of sulfer plus it forces me to clean up proper. most black powder guys dont use black powder any more it seems.Heck Savage even markets modern inlines that use smokeless powder and legal for muzzle loading in some states.
I shoot 4 flintlocks and I never use fake powders..... That stuff fails to flash. I can use it if i have too, but i prime the pan with 4F then and build a duplex load with the breech still with 10 grains or so of the real black.

I am working up making my own. I have access to alder and or willow, and making char is a no brainer. The rest i can buy from farm stores or the pharmacy.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:01 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
I always thought personal attacks were inappropreate ?
I might make a stand against an in appropreate behavior, but not the person them sleves on line here.
Lets grow up folks.
As for black powder I like shooting it both in rifles and hand guns ,I have found lately that even new primers (caps) are not reliable ,and for what you have to pay for them ,you'd think better .
I may have to go into making my own .
Some day I'd like a gun like the circut judge in black powder ,seems like that would make an awsome tool.
I'd be like a pistol with a really long barrel. ( which is what it is )+ a rifle stock.
I enjoy shooting so much so that I have several BB guns that I practice with around the house ,largely because the price of ammo and the availability are what they are right now.
It's funny though the price of pellets and BBs have gone up as well, some one is gouging .
I am also toying with making my own pellets a well , molds and press are not that hard to do.
The one draw back to all these people (new bees) getting into guns ,is that they are largely untrained and = some really stupid people are having access, that can create even more trouble in the future.
Most of the folks I grew up with were responsible gun owners and didn't horse around with them at any time .
Kids now days are for the most part dumber than a box of rocks, the way they drive and play sports , it seems that they compete for being the most stupid among them.
Those few are the ones that make life miserable for the rest whom are hard working responsible people.
So a word to the hard working responsible people , arm your self, and train, and practice, because the volumes of dangerous kids, your own age, are already ahead of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies