U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 10:12 AM

11,127 posts, read 12,659,717 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, like a reoccurring nightmare, and no, I am not talking about a quarterly housing report or the dollar in free fall, I'm talking Iraq funding.

Bush awards Medal of Honor, posthumously, then another Bin Laden tape is released, then Bush ask for more money to fund the war in Iraq which has only slightly went over the 200-400 billion dollar total they said it would cost.

Makes a person wonder just how many Bin Laden tapes are in the top drawer as we know Medal of Honor awards are easy to make as printing money. I used to think the notion of this was silly conspiracy, but anymore, it is just used way too frequently to be anything but a tool.

A few suggestions to help either fund the war or end it.

A simple war tax of 1% of everything. 1% of your income, 1% of the cost of a gallon of gas, 1% additional sales tax, 1% increase on property tax, etc... I'm sure the people will LOVE that.

Maybe it is time for a draft, one that has no deferments and we can do it alphabetically. This way Jenna Bush and Chelsea Clinton will learn how to break down an rifle as fast as their parents can string a lie together.

Since during times of war we are all supposed to sacrifice, how about we suggest that all government elected officials get the same pay as a private on the front lines.

Of course we could also suggest that any rebuilding efforts be given solely to companies in the host nation instead of American companies or the subsidiaries.

Yes, this is ab absurdum, but in all seriousness, when will enough be enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 10:23 AM

13,781 posts, read 23,760,639 times
To answer your basic economic question, I favor a 3% income tax surcharge, with the funds specifically segregated to fund the war efforts. This would end when the war cost was totally paid off.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
To answer your basic economic question, I favor a 3% income tax surcharge, with the funds specifically segregated to fund the war efforts. This would end when the war cost was totally paid off.
Personally I am all for it. I think it would add political pressure to find solutions in a tangible way and we would not be passing this debt off to our children, which in my opinion is a crime in itself.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:06 AM

It would also address the issue of having a greater "shared sacrafice" in support of the war effort. Right now, a lot of folks just don't have much (if any) skin in the game.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
It would also address the issue of having a greater "shared sacrafice" in support of the war effort. Right now, a lot of folks just don't have much (if any) skin in the game.
While cash is half the game, what about the other half, the soldiers having to be deployed for in my opinion, unreasonable lengths of time. Do you feel it is time for a draft of sorts, be it even stateside so as to ease the pressure on front line troop requirements?

Here is a piece that just came out.

Army to keep forced re-enlistments - Military Affairs - MSNBC.com

Old 10-23-2007, 11:49 AM

18,696 posts, read 36,365,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Makes a person wonder just how many Bin Laden tapes are in the top drawer as we know Medal of Honor awards are easy to make as printing money.
I don't want to highjack the thread but I do want to call you on the statement of "we know Medal of Honor Awards are east to make as printing money."

Do NOT disrespect that. How are they printed like money? That MOH was the first one earned since VietNam.

I agree the war is being costly and even more costly with Bush running it. But do not use the MOH for flag waving. That is the highest honor paid to any person in the United States. That was totally uncalled for.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
While cash is half the game, what about the other half, the soldiers having to be deployed for in my opinion, unreasonable lengths of time. Do you feel it is time for a draft of sorts, be it even stateside so as to ease the pressure on front line troop requirements?

Here is a piece that just came out.

Army to keep forced re-enlistments - Military Affairs - MSNBC.com
I have previously posted a few times in threads in support of mandated govt service, with military being one (very financially incentivized) option. If some form of service was mandated for all (boys and girls) then the military option may seem more attractive to a wider range of folks in society.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:07 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,412,454 times
Default Party here, sacrifice over there

Sad but true...this article should be read by every citizen.

Party here, sacrifice over there - International Herald Tribune

Old 10-23-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
I don't want to highjack the thread but I do want to call you on the statement of "we know Medal of Honor Awards are east to make as printing money."

Do NOT disrespect that. How are they printed like money? That MOH was the first one earned since VietNam.

I agree the war is being costly and even more costly with Bush running it. But do not use the MOH for flag waving. That is the highest honor paid to any person in the United States. That was totally uncalled for.
The physical medal is a piece of metal and a ribbon and can be made as easy as making change at the store. What the medal represents, what it is symbolic of is what truly matters.

The reason I brought this up was because timing is everything. Just as everyone got their panties in a wad over the resolution on the Armenian genocide, not because it wasn't just, but because the timing could not have been worse.

In the case of Lt. Michael P. Murphy's medal of honor, Bush chose to award this medal within minutes of asking Congress for more money. The timing stinks to high heaven if in my opinion, Bush has politicized this mans actions and honor. Feel free to be critical of me as you wish, I have thick skin, but I am only pointing out how the action of awarding the Medal of Honor and the release of the Bin Laden tape follow a pattern of political manipulation of events, people, and fear.

Quote:
I have previously posted a few times in threads in support of mandated govt service, with military being one (very financially incentivized) option. If some form of service was mandated for all (boys and girls) then the military option may seem more attractive to a wider range of folks in society.
I recall the last time I heard a politician asking the American people to sacrifice, it was Jimmy Carter when he asked people lessen their driving and to put a sweater on during the winter, and we know how well that went over.

I am certainly not opposed to it though, as again it would have greater involvement of everyday people, something I think we agree on is lacking.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:37 PM

18,696 posts, read 36,365,197 times
It's fine to say that he used the Medal of Honor as a wedge to ask for money, but to say they're printed as easily as money is what rankled. Nuff said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies