Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 03:48 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Didn't we just have one of these threads a few days ago???

No, having a dating preference isn't racism.... as much as many people here say it is........They need to consult a dictionary and get the proper definition of racism.
Ummm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism
a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
Yes. Refusing to date outside of one's race is pretty much the definition of racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 04:20 PM

210 posts, read 394,305 times
For a person who says he's not racist and op isn't racist you sure get very defensive when called a racist which means that you know you are racist so you are saying that race is an attribute that affects someone perception of someone when it comes to wether or not one wants to accept them sexually? how is that not racist? it's still prejudice against a skin color? lol.

A man, unless he is gay, will find a beautiful girl sexually attractive. He may have his preference or prejudices but still find her sexually attractive. If they are not accepting a person based on skin color but find other attributtes such as height, weight, acceptable then how is that not racist? lol

There are prejudices on everything like you said so a prejudice on race is defined by the American dictionary as racist. So it is whether you like it or not. It is prejudice against a skin color soley because of skin color. The reasons why they do not find that particular race attractive is not because they dont find the person beautiful but because of the prejudices or stereotypes they may believe themselves that makes them not find that race attractive. So in the end it is racist.

You're trying not to accept reality for what it is and that is really sad! What i hear the most from guys who won't date outside their race is that they make an excuse such as, i'm just not attracted to black women because I haven't found one i find attractive then they'll say, oh most black and mexican people in my area are ghetto and uneducated. So there is that prejudice still behind their reasonings for not being attracted to a particular race. They find their race more attractive because they think their race is more superior. I also hear from guys, I found out a girl i slept with had also slept with a black guy and i almost vomited. I'm thinking his preference doesn't involve black girls either then. I'm not black but these are just examples from guys i heard who picked girls out based on race and attractiveness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter002 View Post
Apples and oranges can be compared! They're both fruit! Height, race and weight can be compared because they are all attributes that will affect ones perception of someone sexually when it comes to whether or not one wants to jump in the sack with them!

A guy may not reject a woman because she is tall or short but a woman will if a guy is too short for her liking. A guy just as might reject a woman for being too tall! Hot is only hot if the person making the observation thinks the person is hot! There is prejudice/bias against tall and short (in dating and in real life), there is prejudice against weight (in dating and in real life). One can find a skin color more attractive than another. Someone can find someone else with the same features, height, weight, facial shape not as attractive with a completely different skin color. Take Angelina Jolie, some guys would be turned off if her skin color was completely dark. Some might not find Halle Berry as attractive if she was completely pale.

You seem to not want to believe that someone can find skin color attractive or magnetizing, but people can be drawn more to a skin color just as they would be drawn more to a taller or shorter height, perfect weight or shape or any other trait!

Hot is what someone thinks is hot, not what you tell them they think should be defined as hot (competely subjective)! So apples and oranges can be compared because we are talking about dating.

And on that subject, even if someone finds someone pretty or handsome, it doesn't automatically mean they want to jump their bones! One can say "she is pretty" but not be attracted to someone sexually one bit!

You can't control what someone finds attractive so call them racist if you like, but they're not racist. People get to call out what is appealing to THEMSELVES.

And someone can date another of a different race and hold hateful views of their own race. That would be prejudice. You are trying to intertwine what sexually excites someone vs views of groups of people.

One can say "I only am attracted to middle eastern women" but not feel like black women are inferior or hate them in anyway. They're just not sexually attracted to black women in that example (no matter how "hot" she is, skin tone may not turn them on)

Old 02-23-2013, 04:37 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Ummm...

Yes. Refusing to date outside of one's race is pretty much the definition of racism.
Not if you aren't attracted to the person outside your race. I can't get attracted to Asians and so I don't date them. If I could find an Asian that I was attracted to then I would, but by and large I am not attracted to them. Now imagine if you were only attracted to people of your race, it seems like the same thing, No?

Old 02-23-2013, 04:41 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Is it racist, to force you to go out with someone you are not attracted to?

Old 02-23-2013, 04:41 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Not if you aren't attracted to the person outside your race. I can't get attracted to Asians and so I don't date them. If I could find an Asian that I was attracted to then I would, but by and large I am not attracted to them. Now imagine if you were only attracted to people of your race, it seems like the same thing, No?
Again, read the definition

Quote:
a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
Yes. Refusing to date a particular race (or any one not of a certain race) is racist, by definition.

Why?

Because it assumes that all people of a race share 'unattractive' traits.

You can see how that's different than saying, "I have never seen an Asian that I have found attractive but if I did, I would date them", right?

Old 02-23-2013, 04:43 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Is it racist, to force you to go out with someone you are not attracted to?
No, that is considered taking one for the team or affirmative action. Take your pick!

Old 02-23-2013, 04:48 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times
You either find someone attractive or you don't.

My reply without reading a single post.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:11 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,875,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
My sentiments exactly. Thank you.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
is this another where are the white women threads?

Old 02-23-2013, 05:15 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,875,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
is this another where are the white women threads?
Right here....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies