Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 10:58 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
And then they wonder why women don't vote for conservatives...
Not really. I think it's pretty well understood why women don't vote for conservatives. Same reason women count financial stability up high when looking for a mate. Same reason the most dirty and dangerous professions have miniscule amounts of women. Same reason women commit less crimes than men. Same reason women were the drivers of the prohibition campaign. Women are going to tend to vote for the party that offers a safety net. It's no big mystery and it has nothing to do with sexism, despite what liberals would like to tell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 11:01 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The kids aren't free, though. We have to pay extra to have our daughter on our plan. However, the cost is the same whether it is one kid or ten.

I have to say, I found that article very biased; I am surprised it's from the WSJ. For example,

**That’s because, say benefits experts, covered spouses tend to be women, who as a group not only spend more on health care, but also have more free time to go to the doctor if they don’t work

How sexist is that? Do they have any documentation that stay-at-home women go to the dr. for entertainment?

Most of the article discusses how companies currently attempt not to insure spouses.

ETA: I see someone already addressed the women going to the dr. more issue. I'm going to leave my post up though, to express my outrage.
Don't be surprised, the SWJ is a biased rag.
Watch who is quoting them these days.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:03 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,854,666 times
there's no such thing as Obamacare.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:06 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Well, I'll be honest in saying that this isn't how I imagined it happening. Removing the spouse from coverage is only half of the solution. Removing the knot between employers and health insurance altogether is the full solution. While Obama's healthcare plan made great strides in the right direction, this is one area where it has gone in the completely wrong direction. We need to stop employers from taking on the burden of providing healthcare.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:10 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Not really. I think it's pretty well understood why women don't vote for conservatives. Same reason women count financial stability up high when looking for a mate. Same reason the most dirty and dangerous professions have miniscule amounts of women. Same reason women commit less crimes than men. Same reason women were the drivers of the prohibition campaign. Women are going to tend to vote for the party that offers a safety net. It's no big mystery and it has nothing to do with sexism, despite what liberals would like to tell you.
I don't know you you are around but they must be dependent or helpless people. More women that you think are very capable of taking care of ourselves without looking to government or a man. How weak you sound. The fake war on woman that Obama used was an embarrassment to our gender. Do you really feel that dependent on others or did it make you feel special. Either is a disgrace and if the latter you are desperate. Just because you feel helpless don't attribute your feelings onto everyone and embarrass all women.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:34 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
there's no such thing as Obamacare.
Technically, you are right. However, the term "Obamacare" has become associated with the legislation pushed by Obama and ultimatelly passed by the Congress. Even the President uses the term "Obamacare" when discussing the healthcare legislation.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:50 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
We provide full medical coverage for the entire family of the employee... so I don't understand where the $1-2 comes from or the $65... granted, we don't have a lot of employees but we pay hundreds of dollars extra for the spouse to be covered... I can tell you that we already have it in the plans to NOT cover the spouses once the premiums start increasing otherwise we will force the employee to contribute their paycheck to part of the premium that we pay...

Old 03-11-2013, 07:42 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
What gets me is how insurance was allowed to go from non-profit, to for profit.

Blue-Shield, the predecessor to Blue Cross, was non-profit in the 40's - 60's.

Companies started offering insurance coverage to get the better talent. Then they added spouses and children, to get the talent.

What went from a benefit for working for that particular company, became an entitlement.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:42 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
All you RWNJs want to blame it all on Obama. You need to understand Corporate America is getting slapped around by Chinese, Japanese, German, Brazilian even British Companies that they must compete with but aren't burdened by having to provide Health care or Insurance. Employer health insurance is going to join defined benefit pensions and even tuition for job training on the ash heap of history. Why are you people so ignorant and so trusting of our high net worth individuals who cant move fast enough to cut you pay and benefits? What is wrong with you guys!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:07 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I laughed at that too.

So when women have free time they all run off to the doctor.....nice spin.
I know whenever I have a day off, that's the first place THIS chick runs!

I only have insurance in case I get really sick or am in a catastrophic accident. Due to explosive population growth around here, there aren't enough doctors and you can wait a while to see a decent doctor. If you want to see a quack you can get in the same week, but who wants to waste their time/money on that? I subject myself to the indignity of dealing with doctors and health insurance to get a yearly physical, but that's about it.

I HATE going to the doctor because of what the process has become. It is stripped of all dignity and decency. I hate it. Hell I'd rather go to the DENTIST than see a doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies