Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 01:30 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Sigh...

...why are you smacking your head.

Jim Rom made the statement that the Catholic Church was responsible for more deaths than lives saved. We can look at that statement mathematically.

Deaths > Lives Saved

I asked him to support that position.

He provided a link stating that 2 - 6 million people were killed in the Crusades.

The equation now looks like

2 to 6 million deaths in the Crusades + other deaths > Lives Saved.

He has not completed the equation.

It's like if I said it was hotter today than yesterday. Today was 50 degrees. An important part of the information is missing.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:

If the actions of the Catholic Church caused the death or physical damage of just one person in its history, then the Church went against the teachings of Christ. Simple as that. And as the Catholic Church has done this, playing a numbers game about just how many is really besides the point.
It's not beside the point at all.

I don't give two ****s about the teachings of Christ.

Jim Rom made a statement that the Catholic Church was responsible for more deaths than lives saved.

Do you see the bolded word there? The word "more"? That word makes it a numbers game.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:38 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
It's not beside the point at all.

I don't give two ****s about the teachings of Christ.

Jim Rom made a statement that the Catholic Church was responsible for more deaths than lives saved.

Do you see the bolded word there? The word "more"? That word makes it a numbers game.
Can't see the forest for the trees, can you?

Old 02-24-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Can't see the forest for the trees, can you?
I have no idea what you're talking about.

The poster made a statement. I asked him to support it with evidence.

This isn't rocket science, and it's a sad ****ing state of affairs that this conversation exists.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:59 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Sigh...

...why are you smacking your head.

Jim Rom made the statement that the Catholic Church was responsible for more deaths than lives saved. We can look at that statement mathematically.

Deaths > Lives Saved

I asked him to support that position.

He provided a link stating that 2 - 6 million people were killed in the Crusades.

The equation now looks like

2 to 6 million deaths in the Crusades + other deaths > Lives Saved.

He has not completed the equation.

It's like if I said it was hotter today than yesterday. Today was 50 degrees. An important part of the information is missing.
By asking for citation on the equation, you have effectively made the argument that the Catholic Church has saved more lives than they have taken. Therefore, it is now up to you to provide numbers in order to back up your claim. I've provided the part of the equation that shows how many people have been killed by the Catholic Church, and I've yet to find a reference anywhere to the number of people whose lives have been saved by the Catholic Church. If you would like to continue the discussion, I'm going to leave it up to you to find the numbers for that side of the equation, since you seem to disagree with my statement.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
By asking for citation on the equation, you have effectively made the argument that the Catholic Church has saved more lives than they have taken. Therefore, it is now up to you to provide numbers in order to back up your claim.
What the **** are you talking about?
How have I done that?

I simply asked you to provide a citation. I've made no claim whatsoever.

This is ****ing pathetic.

Quote:
since you seem to disagree with my statement.
I don't disagree. I wonder if it is true. Since you made the claim, you are obliged to provide the support.

If you can't find the numbers regarding the number of people that the Church has saved, then there is no evidence to support you original claim. You, by definition, made the claim based on ignorance. How can you make the claim without knowing how many people the church is responsible for saving?

Analogy:
Me, making a claim: "I have more money than you"
You: "Citation requested"
Me: "I have $10. I don't know how much money you have. But I have more money than you. And it's now your responsibility to prove me wrong because you disagreed with my statement and effectively made the claim that you have more money than me"
Anyone with a brain: "What the **** is that idiot talking about"

Old 02-24-2013, 02:27 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
To be honest, that's not funny. There are millions of Catholics out here who have great respect for this man and it's not funny. How would you feel is someone poked fun at someone you had respect for?
*cough* Every President of the United States, ever *cough*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies