Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 10:11 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,165 times

Advertisements

Many of you young people here and now posting your strong views reflecting the current progressive/liberal views. And the seemingly pure bitterness against anyone older...And also those of the opposite (right) end of the spectrum.....I have a question....????

It's Friday night...and you are sitting home getting your social satisfaction from sitting in front of a freaking computer (where I am sure you are spending a good part of the week, either at home, at work or in school).

Do you realize there are people out there partying with other people..in the flesh? Having real, live conversations...especially with the opposite sex (or in that role, if that's your thing).

And if you have real friends, you really do not need a nickel in your pocket (or maybe a price of a soda).

Friday night is the "let it all out" night....It's called "going out"...to have some fun with others.

You're not...

Who are you people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 10:23 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times
Too tired to party, man. Too busy studying and working full time (I work online, by the way) due to having to pay for education and living costs at the same time.
I hang out with friends once in a while though.
Absolutely no time to date.

...But alas, I like debate and learning about politics and other's point of few.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:04 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,165 times
Default OK...Good answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Too tired to party, man. Too busy studying and working full time (I work online, by the way) due to having to pay for education and living costs at the same time.
I hang out with friends once in a while though.
Absolutely no time to date.

...But alas, I like debate and learning about politics and other's point of few.
That's a fair answer.

I did the same - Full tme work, school, etc....

Maybe it was the times, as even though we worked on computers, we did not spend our spare time on the internet (it was more for searching info).

But, come Friday night, we got out to socialize, go to clubs or bars (not spending much at all).

I get the impression that too many people today (especially younger people) are letting these chat rooms and message boards become too much of their lives.

We socialized with all types, from all persuasions - (even those that we had little in common with) and perhaps that made us realistic about being "acceptable" about diferrent types. We interacted with them, and learned much about who they really were and were about.

And we were more critical about our college teachers, pushing their agendas...we knew better in many cases.

I am afraid that many today are not really taking part in the real world - just the world that is presented to them. thus the childish sterotyping and name calling we see so much here.

And it worked both ways (meeting other backgrounds) because you realized that not all people in any particular group are all the same. They were individuals.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
That's a fair answer.

I did the same - Full tme work, school, etc....

Maybe it was the times, as even though we worked on computers, we did not spend our spare time on the internet (it was more for searching info).

But, come Friday night, we got out to socialize, go to clubs or bars (not spending much at all).

I get the impression that too many people today (especially younger people) are letting these chat rooms and message boards become too much of their lives.

We socialized with all types, from all persuasions - (even those that we had little in common with) and perhaps that made us realistic about being "acceptable" about diferrent types. We interacted with them, and learned much about who they really were and were about.

And we were more critical about our college teachers, pushing their agendas...we knew better in many cases.

I am afraid that many today are not really taking part in the real world - just the world that is presented to them. thus the childish sterotyping and name calling we see so much here.

And it worked both ways (meeting other backgrounds) because you realized that not all people in any particular group are all the same. They were individuals.
CD is heavily populated with retired people though. Clubs and bars for me are too loud in this ol college town. But being a math major...

...I really don't see any agenda being pushed. If anything, being a math major has made me more suspicious of things, since it's all in the proof.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:14 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
CD is heavily populated with retired people though. Clubs and bars for me are too loud in this ol college town. But being a math major...

...I really don't see any agenda being pushed. If anything, being a math major has made me more suspicious of things, since it's all in the proof.
Or in the derivate.

But there are limits...

Old 02-23-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Or in the derivate.

But there are limits...
I guess you could say that since the derivative of debt is the deficit...

But so far the only limit seen in the debt is the left limit, when the debt is plotted as a function of time.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:21 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
I think it's great for young people to get involved. It shows they have an interest in something other than Teen Mom or Awkward. My views when I was younger were very different from my parents, today's young people's views are different from mine. It's the way it's supposed to be. Fresh ideas. Does that mean struggle? Of course, but without struggle or without new thoughts or ideals come stagnation. The handful of extreme fringe on here, the self anointed "anarchists" are just that, a handful, and their daily links to goofy web pages are nothing but fodder for their kind. No one with any common sense pays them attention. They pose no real challenge or debate. For the younger people who take the time to learn, and postulate their ideals, I applaud you.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I think it's great for young people to get involved. It shows they have an interest in something other than Teen Mom or Awkward. My views when I was younger were very different from my parents, today's young people's views are different from mine. It's the way it's supposed to be. Fresh ideas. Does that mean struggle? Of course, but without struggle or without new thoughts or ideals come stagnation. The handful of extreme fringe on here, the self anointed "anarchists" are just that, a handful, and their daily links to goofy web pages are nothing but fodder for their kind. No one with any common sense pays them attention. They pose no real challenge or debate. For the younger people who take the time to learn, and postulate their ideals, I applaud you.
What's with all the Teen Mom things I keep hearing about? I thought young women are more responsible these days, given their imbalance in many colleges...

Old 02-23-2013, 07:19 PM

524 posts, read 400,057 times
I'm not that young, I am 29 and in between programs to finish school. My master's program starts up in the fall and until then I am locally involved the political scene, (at least I am trying to be!). I am a libertarian. Liberals call me a Republican and Republicans call me a Liberal! I can't win so I end up defending my views with everyone. I mainly come on CD to see if there are any interesting news stories that slipped by me. It seems that most of the topics seem to be race-related, which is so old stale, yet it's prevalent. Being a veteran myself, I hop between this board and the military board.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:32 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
I am 30 work long hours, and I have a 2 year old and 2 month old so I am on at sporadic hours.

I do need to quit wasting time on the web.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies