Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 06:24 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,332,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I was in the OPs shoes once. I was unemployed before. I spent most of my time complaining about no jobs and basically having a pity party for myself. My unemployment benefits paid for my pity party. I didn't find a job until I changed my attitude and was willing to do about anything to change my chronic unemployment situation. I did some networking and got a temporary job that lasted about a month. Then, I got another temporary job that lasted 8 months. The next job I found was a permanent job I got through an online application. I know liberals don't want to hear this, but I credit God for bringing me out of my chronic unemployment situation.

My new job pays more than I have made in awhile and offers tuition reimbursement.

I find it odd how I hear people in my generation complaining about not having a job, but they continuously vote for Obama and worship this guy. I mean really, have you seen the record of this guy? They seem to think Obama will save them and his policies will cripple them. Obamacare and his social justice programs will cripple businesses making them less likely to hire. I don't know why anyone who is unemployed votes for Obama except to get more bennies and not find a job.

Granted there are places in the country where there are basically no jobs even in menial ones. If the OP lives in Yuma, AZ, El Centro, CA, Somerton, AZ, or Detroit, MI, then I feel sorry for him/her. I would suggest moving if one lives in one of these areas. I remember the economy in Yuma, AZ was so bad that the illegals were self-deporting because they couldn't find jobs. Yuma, AZ is a heavy democrat area btw.
I think you might be forgetting the political party of the president who put us in this economic disaster in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 06:24 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Really? Because that is pretty contrary to what my ex-boyfriend says who graduated college back in the early 90s.
Mid 70's is when I went - perhaps it had already started it's downward spiral by the early 90's. Technology alone has made writing and researching papers a cakewalk compared to when we had to hunt-and-peck and typing errors meant completely starting over.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:28 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,332,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Mid 70's is when I went - perhaps it had already started it's downward spiral by the early 90's. Technology alone has made writing and researching papers a cakewalk compared to when we had to hunt-and-peck and typing errors meant completely starting over.
Technology made them a cakewalk? Less tedious maybe.

And the writing and research classes have never been the most difficult in college. The math and science classes are and always will be the make it or break it classes in college, and those have remained unchanged for generations.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:39 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Technology made them a cakewalk? Less tedious maybe.

And the writing and research classes have never been the most difficult in college. The math and science classes are and always will be the make it or break it classes in college, and those have remained unchanged for generations.
Yes, a cakewalk in comparison. When you write a legitimate scholarly research paper of 15 pages or more in length while not touching a single product created after 1975 we can discuss the difference. I don't know what level of science classes you are talking about but I had papers required in my upper level science classes.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:27 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Although Ernst & Young looks at every résumé submitted, “a referral puts them in the express lane,” said Larry Nash, director of experienced and executive recruiting there. Indeed, as referred candidates get fast-tracked, applicants from other sources like corporate Web sites, Internet job boards and job fairs sink to the bottom of the pile.

“You’re submitting your résumé to a black hole,” said John Sullivan, a human resources consultant for large companies who teaches management at San Francisco State University. “You’re not going to find top performers at a job fair. Whether it’s fair or not, you need to have employees make referrals for you if you want to find a job.”

Among corporate recruiters, Mr. Sullivan said, random applicants from Internet job sites are sometimes referred to as “Homers,” after the lackadaisical, doughnut-eating Homer Simpson. The most desirable candidates, nicknamed “purple squirrels” because they are so elusive, usually come recommended.

“We call it Monster.ugly,” said Mr. Sullivan, referring to Monster.com. “In the H.R. world, applicants from Monster or other job boards carry a stigma.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/28/bu...nted=all&_r=1&

Old 02-24-2013, 11:34 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Tired of people always blaming the government for why nobody can find jobs. Employers are the problem. HELLO. They have the jobs. Plenty of jobs are out there, but employers have decided to make it impossible for people to get hired. It doesn't matter what job it is. Even fast food. If you are unemployed you know how it goes.

Is Applying for Jobs Online an Effective Way to Find Work? - YouTube

Online job applications

Personality tests from overseas companies like Unicru and Kronos that put your application into a black hole forever Demanding resumes and cover letters for minimum wage jobs. As if 18 year old johnny is really going to have an "impressive resume".

Requiring years of experience to do a job anybody can do. My favorite was a $9/hour janitorial position that required 1-2 years of "cleaning knowledge". Is there a degree for cleaning knowledge?

Downright apathy. A job applicant can waste their time with all this, and then try to do things the old fashioned way but you will be stonewalled. You can try walking in the place and trying to fill out an application and be told "apply online". Nothing else. Just "you have to apply online. GOODBYE."

Employers saying "don't call us after you fill out the application, GRRRRRR!!!!!" why not? I want the job!
Job fairs? for what? So you can say, thank you for being interested in this wonderful position, please apply onli....NO! I WANT THE JOB! HIRE ME. NOW.

They give the jobs to family or friends. So much for being an "equal opportunity employer".
They can discriminate against disabled people no problem, all they have to do is say "we are choosing to hire X instead". ADA means nothing! No way to prove it. But disabled people are lazy right?

"Unemployed need not apply". Don't even get me started on this one!!!

It's very easy to figure out what these monsters are doing. They engage in all this nonsense and then tell the press that everybody is lazy and doesn't want to work. Which is a total lie. There are millions of people who have plenty of skills and education but they can't get the wheels rolling because of all this nonsense. THIS. Nevermind what the government and welfare recipients are doing. I've spoken with people all over the country who are disgusted with this. But our government is too busy printing money and trying to "encourage" employers to hire people. Give me a break!

Stop the nonsense and put people to work. 30,000 jobs unfilled? Go fill them darn it. STOP weeding people out. STOP the personality tests. TRAIN the people who need help doing the job. DO THINGS IN PERSON. Forget the computer. STOP PLAYING GAMES WITH PEOPLE WHO NEED JOBS. Unemployed people have bad attitudes? Employers are the ones with bad attitudes. They post jobs for the fun of it, get applicants and don't do a thing. Endless time wasting and lack of professionalism. YES. If I travel far for an interview and you can't even offer a rejection notice or job offer, you LACK professionalism.

"unemployed people aren't owed a job"

You aren't owed a profit either! You EARN a profit. Just like you EARN what you have from working a job and being a quality employee. You aren't owed a successful business. You EARN that from the actions you take.

High-turnover = Employer is sloppy, unethical, unmoral, etc. etc. Nothing more nothing less.

There was a time in this country where if you wanted a job, ANY job, you would have one. Employers actually looked forward to hiring people. The GOLDEN days. "when can you start?" Today! Great.

Now the only thing we have are HR departments, company owners, and store managers who do nothing but avoid hiring people, waste our time, look for excuses and DON'T HIRE PEOPLE. Most of these people have no business being in the positions they are in. They are keeping unemployment rates high.

Next time you tell the press about how everyone is lazy because they aren't qualified for your 3 years experience $7/hour janitorial job cry me a river will ya?

Now, I will go back to page 75 of my TIMED Unicru personality assessment test for the $7/hour part time lot attendant position at Home depot.

I agree about the "Online Applications"

Not only do they take up a lot of your time but they ask for a lot of personal information and then you never hear anything back. That's why I always recommended applying to jobs that only require you to

1. Fax your resume
2. Email your resume

Old 02-25-2013, 12:12 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I agree about the "Online Applications"

Not only do they take up a lot of your time but they ask for a lot of personal information and then you never hear anything back. That's why I always recommended applying to jobs that only require you to

1. Fax your resume
2. Email your resume
yeah but what can you do? jobs like that are almost non-existent, they just no longer do it the old fashioned way.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:31 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
yeah but what can you do? jobs like that are almost non-existent, they just no longer do it the old fashioned way.

I see jobs like that on Monster.com and craigslist.org everyday.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:39 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I see jobs like that on Monster.com and craigslist.org everyday.
I keep hearing monster is a crap site but regardless they wouldn't have anything entry level.
I don't know about craigslist. a little eerie...

Old 02-25-2013, 01:02 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,361,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
They do the menial labor that most americans don't want to do....painting, yard work. house cleaning.etc. And they are damn hard workers...something some of us could learn from. They are not hired in the corporate world though.

You left out auto mechanic.

I know an illegal who works as an auto mechanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies